Best Shaft Seal Lube?

seau45

Lubricant should not be used when installing shaft seals. The instructions for the seals suggest not even touching the sealing area as the oil on your finger can contaminate and prevent a good seal. Imagine what lubricant can do. As Copper says, a small dot of dish soap allows the seal to be insalled easily, but rinses away so the shaft seal can operate correctly.

Lubricant should not be used when installing shaft seals. The instructions for the seals suggest not even touching the sealing area as the oil on your finger can contaminate and prevent a good seal. Imagine what lubricant can do. As Copper says, a small dot of dish soap allows the seal to be insalled easily, but rinses away so the shaft seal can operate correctly.

thanks for the response.i noticed in the instructions u.s. seal recommends p-80 lube rubber lubricant which is why i had this question.I do know touching the white part is a big no no

I use magic lube with teflon. No petroleum based lubes. Use VEEEEERY little on the boot of the porcelain side, and on the rubber on the seal side where it slides on the shaft / impeller. All you have to do is touch the opening of the lube tube, and thats enough.

You already know, nothing on the seal surfaces.