What To Do When You Can't Wet Test?

Hello,

My wife and I have been looking at many different spas any we initially were thinking about the Sundance Optima or HS Vanguard but now I think they are both out of our price range. So now I'm thinking about the Sundance Chelsee but the problem is none of the Sundance dealers within 100 miles has anything but the top of the line models to wet test.

How have people dealt with this in the past? Has anybody had luck getting a dealer to put water into a spa they don't usually do it on? Or is the expectation that what they have to test is all you get?

One place I called tried to convince me that the Chelsee and Optima feel almost exactly the same and I should just use the Optima as a test of the Chelsee. Even I know they use completely different jets and control systems so I know he's talking out his rear but is that what I can expect from all the dealers?

Hello,

My wife and I have been looking at many different spas any we initially were thinking about the Sundance Optima or HS Vanguard but now I think they are both out of our price range. So now I'm thinking about the Sundance Chelsee but the problem is none of the Sundance dealers within 100 miles has anything but the top of the line models to wet test.

How have people dealt with this in the past? Has anybody had luck getting a dealer to put water into a spa they don't usually do it on? Or is the expectation that what they have to test is all you get?

One place I called tried to convince me that the Chelsee and Optima feel almost exactly the same and I should just use the Optima as a test of the Chelsee. Even I know they use completely different jets and control systems so I know he's talking out his rear but is that what I can expect from all the dealers?

I'll assume they are firm ont heir answer but IF you think you're going to buy without the wet test anyway I'd counter by offering them a deposit to fill the spa for you to test.

Hello,

I'll assume they are firm ont heir answer but IF you think you're going to buy without the wet test anyway I'd counter by offering them a deposit to fill the spa for you to test.

That is a good call....If you show them that you are serious....and not just wasting time...they will fill it if you agree to buy it unless you absolutely hate the thing.

I can see their point though...think of all the people who waste their time and the never see again. Over the course of a year they could end up with all their inventory "lightly" used.

Although a wet test is a great idea, in all honesty 90% or more of my customers never even climb in the hot tub empty before they buy it. And everyone seems to love their hot tubs. Now, if you really want to wet test the spa, I'm not saying to blow it off. I would imagine though, if it meant the difference between selling a spa or not, they'd be willing to fill it up and let you try it out.

Mark, this is too important and too big an expense to not know for sure. Be nice, but insist. If the dealer really wants your business, he'll come around.

I'm one of those annoying people who won't take no for an answer when making a decision about something as costly as a spa. I was initially considering a Sundance Marin. I thought it was the perfect spa for me. The dealer did not have it filled even though it was on his floor. He tried to say that his filled Cameo would be "just the same" -- even though the depths were different, among other things. I pointed this out and asked if he would fill the Marin, that I was willing to work with him in whatever way he asked, but I wouldn't be making such an expensive purchase without wet testing first. Period. He finally relented and to his credit, he went way above and beyond. He filled his Marin as well as an Altamar for me to wet test. Even though I wasn't considering it, I would have purchased the Altamar had it been within my reach budget-wise. Much to my surprise, the Marin was NOT a good fit -- much too shallow. I would never have known had I not wet tested.

My Sundance dealer was great, but in the end, I wasn't prepared to spend what he wanted for his spas. (Maybe we should have discussed price first.) I started looking around for a used unit. The first one offered I was willing to consider was a 2005 Hot Spring Envoy placed in service in early 2006. I wet tested that, too. I'm sure the private owners thought I was nuts, but no regrets this end. I have a fantastic spa that fits me to a tee for less than half what it would have cost to purchase it new.

Don't buy a spa you haven't wet tested. You really will be surprised at how different the jets feel, how the seats fit (or don't), whether you will float out of the lounge or not. They vary tremendously. Wet test, wet test, wet test -- best advice given on this site!!

Best of luck to you!! - Raeven

Sorry...no test no cash!!!!

If 90% of the people do not test or even sit in the tub before they purchase as noted in the other response then I must have under estimated the number of really dumb people out there!!!!

This is a large purchase with no recoarse and we do not let loose of our hard earned money so easy............................. :o

Just wanted to let you know, we have the Sundance Chelsea and love it. DH is 6'4 and I'm 5' and if works really well for both of us. We both have our favorite seats, but I move around depending on what area of the body I want the jets to work out. I will tell you that you have to play with the jets. You can soften things or make it really hard. The book doesn't go into much detail, but with trial and error you'll figure it out.