Pool Liner Replacement Cost

My neighbor's vinyl pool is completely trashed with holes and fade. He is not really sure how long the liner has been there, but it was there when he moved in 3 years ago. The pool is 9' on one end and about 18K gallons. Anybody got an idea on the replacement cost? Is this something we can do or would it technically be too difficult? Or, are labor costs cheap?

• 1 month later...

You could potentially save a few thousand dollars by installing the new liner yourself. A contractor will charge $3000 - $4000 minimum for this job, but you could likely complete it for half that cost yourself. Be warned that installing a liner is a job best completed by trained professionals. That being said half the companies out there installing liners are not professionals anyway!

I have written a tutorial on how to complete this DIY job but be warned the tutorial is almost 30 pages long so make a cup of coffee and settle in for a long read. http://www.buypool.ca/diy_vinyl_liner.html

I hope this information is helpful.

S

I just paid about $4000 for a liner and installation for pool a bit larger than that. I considered rounding up a couple friends and doing it myself, but it would have voided the warranty on the liner. Normally, that wouldn't have scared me away, but I was investing about $2500 on just the liner. Although I probably could have saved a few hundred by measuring it myself and ordering it online, I was even hesitant about my ability to measure it right.

Why I'm glad I paid someone else:

Despite the expense, I am very glad I had paid extra to have it installed. It leaked immediately, and the installers took care of finding the leak, patching it, and obtaining a longer warranty for me from the manufacturer.

Plus, the actual installation took only 1/2 of a day or so. I'm positive it would have taken me longer.

What I wish I had done differently:

Even though I didn't do it myself, it was still a learning experience. I had researched the process, but if I could go back, I'd do things a little differently. If I'm still here when it needs to be replaced again, I think I'd shop around more, get recommendations and listen for word-of-mouth. I'd probably know what to ask too.

This time, I was a little dismayed when I saw that the liner was going up with just a hosing-off of the walls. I'm pretty sure there was mold left on the walls and I wish I had spoken up or gone out and scrubbed it myself once the old liner came off. Or better yet, known to ask exactly what their installation services covered. I had read about how to do it yourself (I think 4Serendipity's tutorial!), so I knew what it involved, but I just assumed it was all covered in installation charges.

I'd replace the padding under the liner. I think there wouldn't be such gaping in the corners with padding. When I was ordering the liner before the old one was removed, I was asked if I'd need new padding. I didn't know! So I asked the sales guy at the pool store what was best, and he said they weren't absolutely necessary and were more for comfort. He said the odds were that the old padding was still in pretty good shape and could be reused. I guess mine wasn't, since there's no padding.

Overall, I think having it installed was the wisest choice for me. If your neighbor is hard on liners, he might be thankful for the warranty too!

~Mari