Pressure Valve High Reading

teedoff

I have noticed the pressure valve on the filter(sand) is up around 25 pounds. Is this normal? If not what may be the cause? I think, and 'm not 100% sure, that the pressure should be around 11 to 15 pounds. Also I've noticed that when I vacuum, I can never get the vacuum line to styay sealed and have to rely on someone to hold the hose down in the skimmer so I can completely vacuum the pool. Maybe that has somehting to do with the pressure being high. Also to clear up, the pressure reads that AFTER I have just backwashed.

Do you have solar? Running the solar can increase you pressure by 10 #.

How old is the sand?

Could it be time to change it?

How long do you run the pump for when backwashing?

no solar and the pools is 3 years old and when I backwash I usually backwash for about 2 to 3 minutes then rinse a minute or two.

Are you certain there is nothing blocking the return lines anywhere? Check and make sure none of the outlets eyes have turned in their sockets. Also make sure you have all the valves opened to the correct position. A back-pressure that high with no normal explanation isn't good.

I have an over-dimensioned pump (1.5 hp for an ~8000 gal pool) and mine starts high and goes higher, but not that high.

Another possibility - the gauge. I replaced mine last year but this year on opening it showed a base pressure of ~10 - with no pump running - so I had to replace it again. It was only about $8.00 and an easy fix.