Vinyl Liner staining

Guest Lori

Hi all,

We just opened our pool and there are many stains on the bottom. We had a couple of stains last season that did not go away but this year there are many, many more. It appears that some leaves entered under the cover during the winter and wherever there were leaves there are now stains. I had the water tested yesterday and the hardness was low and I had to add 21lbs of (and I'm still adding) calcium. The problem is I can't get rid of the stains. Everything else looks good. The water was tested for minerals that came back negative so the stains are not from that. The owner of the pool store recommended that I try rubbing a chlorine tablet directly on the stain but I have a feeling this will not work. Does anyone know why I have these stains and what I can do to get rid of them? The stains are unsightly and I fear our liner is ruined.

Thank you!!

Lori

You first need to determine if the stain is a mineral stain or an organic stain. To do this fill two white socks, one with chlorine the other with oxalic acid (available at your pool store). Put one of each sock on the stain. If the chlorine starts to lighten the stain, you will know it's an organic stain. If the oxalic acid works, it's a mineral stain.

To remove a mineral stain: Adjust the PH to 7.2 to 7.6 Add oxalic acid (1 lb per 10,000 gallons) according to the label directions. Run the filter continuously during this process. It may be necessary to increase the PH after stain treatment.

To remove organic stains: Lower the PH to 7.2 Shock with lithium hypochlorite or diclor (1 lb per 10,000 gal) daily until the stain is removed. Run the filter continuously and backwash daily.

Either way, it is important to treat ASAP! Good luck!

Guest John Basi

I have an inground pool with a vinyl liner that is about 5 years old. I am starting to see a 3 foot long by 3"wide stain in what appears to have light gray color. I have tested the water and everything is ok. I have aslo tried to rub the stain out and failed. I am now starting to see 2-3 smaller stains in the deeper side of the pool as well.

Bad pool year! Lots of green alge, battled it for two months. Drained the pool down to get ready and super shock the remaining water. Now realize there is metal stain on the liner and steps in a dark brownish red that clorox won't cut. It looks really bad!

Can you suggest something?

Rusty

Guest Jim Stephenson

I have the same problem with a brownish stain on the bottom of my vinyl pool liner. I have scrubbed the affected area with chlorine and shocked the pool. The stain lightened for a few days but it is starting to get darker again. Any suggestions on my next step?

Guest martin schneider

Dead small worms and centipedes cause brownish stains. Any ideas for getting rid of the stains? I tried using a good brush but had only minor results. Would a disc of chlorine in a sock work? Any other ideas?

When I added chemicals during the opening of the pool, a brown staining appeared on both the walls and the floor overnight. It does not respond to stain removal chemicals nor treatment for brown algae. Only by scrubbing very, very hard does it lighten up but this is not possible to do this to the whole pool. The chemicals are balanced so I am at a loss!

Does anybody have any hope for me?

Your letter sounds like i could have written it myself!! Did you ever have any luck with geting rid of the stain? We've used ascorbic acid,followed with stain and scale remover ,super shocked it,and used muratic acid. And,yes it's still there! We're worried that the liner is ruined as far as looks go...and also, that if we replace the liner the stain will come right back...if not immeditaley, then in a year or two.

Please respond,hopefully with good news!

Diane

I start having brown stains this year and they are groving on the walls and bottom of the pool. I found this info on web andIt sounds like problem that many of us have. What do you think?

http://www.askalanaquestion.com/miscellaneous_algae.htm

One of the local pool dealers told me that the problem I am having is not algae or a stain inside of the pool, but is a fungus or something growing on the outside of the pool liner. It looks like a gray shadow or stain and scrubbing doesn't do a thing. Is this possible? What can I do? Have you heard about this before?

M.H., Bricktown, NJ, 5/23/2003

Yes and No! It is not very common, but I have heard about it before. Actually, a dealer once took me to inspect a pool: it had a liner held in place with a bead and after pulling it away, there were the black spores - right where the discoloration was on the water side. The cause is the growth of a microorganism, on the reverse side, that has invaded the liner. Perhaps, by feeding on the plasticizers. Adding chemicals to the water will not bring them in contact, with something outside of the water (the other side of the liner). If the liner gets bad enough and needs to be replaced consider this point. Replacement may only bring a return of the problem, unless the liner has been treated with anti-microbial agents. In any event, I suggest that the pool site be treated with weed killers and herbicides, to add a degree of protection. Another suggestion would be to place the new liner right over the old one. I would run all these suggestions past someone experienced with liners and this problem. I hope that I have help of some assistance

We experienced large brown stains on our vinyl liner about 2 years ago which our pool contractor felt were fungus stains. Last summer he replaced the liner with a thicker one and treated the soil ehind it with chlorine and some 'magic pretreatment' chemical. We enjoyed our new liner this summer until last week when the stains appeared again and they're even worse this time. The liner people think the fungus has returned but the chemical supplier says it could be metals. We wiped a "stain treat spot bag" onto the stain and it budged a little but not much. I'm frustrated - we don't want to keep replacing liners - that would be foolish. Anybody have luck with fungus treatment? Also, we have a Natures 2 cartridge which lowers chlorine requirement to minimal amount. I'm going to try the sock test mentioned in previous posts to see if it's organic or metal. Anybody have luck with fungus treatment or found that it wasn't fungus after all?

• 6 years later...

I know this is old, but I have similiar stain that's yellowish/light brown, most of the shallow end and some of the deep end. I can see the handprint where a leaf was laying, and it's crystal under where the leaf WAS, but all around it it's discolored with a faint yellowish coating that won't scrub off. Ideas?

Possibly iron. Take a vitamin C tablet (from the grocery or drugstore) and HOLD it on a stained area (do not scrub) for about 30 seconds. If the stain disappears under the tablet it's iron and easy to remove by treating the pool with ascorbic acid (but I would not do this until the weather is cool since you have to do it with no chlorine in the water.)

• 1 year later...

Just an update, it was metal staining. I don't have it this year, but my dad's pool does and just tested with the lemon and it's metal. The pool places charges a fortune for their vitamic c stuff. 1.75 pounds is $50!!

I just found an awesome deal for ascorbic acid/vitamin C! 5 lbs for $24.95!

http://www.capnutra.com/vitamin-c.html#

This is an awesome price and will help a lot of people on saving some $$$

• 11 months later...

Just an update, it was metal staining. I don't have it this year, but my dad's pool does and just tested with the lemon and it's metal. The pool places charges a fortune for their vitamic c stuff. 1.75 pounds is $50!!

I just found an awesome deal for ascorbic acid/vitamin C! 5 lbs for $24.95!

http://www.capnutra.com/vitamin-c.html#

This is an awesome price and will help a lot of people on saving some $$$

I just ordered another 5 lbs today from them again. Their prices are great! Most are around $60 on ebay for the what I got for $24.

• 5 years later...