Premium Leisure Essence Vs. Jacuzzi Spas - Newbie To Hot Tubs

NewToSpa

My husband and I are shopping for our 1st hot tub. We've looked at both Jacuzzi and Premium Leisure. We're interested in buying a 5-6 person spa with a lounger. Premium Leisure model Essence offers 71 jets for about the same price as Jacuzzi's 30+jet J355 model. Has anyone any experience with either brand? In reviewing both mfr's brochures, I'm still unsure who is better. Premium Leisure model is $7000, includes a cover, CD/mp3 with pop-up speakers. The Jacuzzi model does not come with a stereo but is the same price. I want to make sure we are purchasing a product that will last a long time and will work efficiently (electricity wise). Some of you on this forum mentioned that the Premium Leisure is not well insulated which worries me. The store where we saw the Premium Leisure spa indicated that having loose insulation improves the consumer's ability to find a leak. He said that if the spa is totally encased in foam, it would be difficult and more costly to locate a leak. One other minor concern is the warranty, Jacuzzi offers 5 years whereas Premium only 2 years. I would appreciate any help you all can provide to help us make an educated decision...and thanks!

Premium leisure has been around for 32 years. They are the "high end" of Hydrospa . Your electric bills will not "skyrocket"! Research yourself and look closely at the controls, pumps, jets and insulation yourself. I am not saying their product is the best spa for everyone or the best spa at all but, they do offer a good solid product at a fair price. I have a re-badged Sterling Leisure spa "prestine" that has been flawless and a very good value.

My husband and I are shopping for our 1st hot tub. We've looked at both Jacuzzi and Premium Leisure. We're interested in buying a 5-6 person spa with a lounger. Premium Leisure model Essence offers 71 jets for about the same price as Jacuzzi's 30+jet J355 model. Has anyone any experience with either brand? In reviewing both mfr's brochures, I'm still unsure who is better. Premium Leisure model is $7000, includes a cover, CD/mp3 with pop-up speakers. The Jacuzzi model does not come with a stereo but is the same price. I want to make sure we are purchasing a product that will last a long time and will work efficiently (electricity wise). Some of you on this forum mentioned that the Premium Leisure is not well insulated which worries me. The store where we saw the Premium Leisure spa indicated that having loose insulation improves the consumer's ability to find a leak. He said that if the spa is totally encased in foam, it would be difficult and more costly to locate a leak. One other minor concern is the warranty, Jacuzzi offers 5 years whereas Premium only 2 years. I would appreciate any help you all can provide to help us make an educated decision...and thanks!

for what it's worth as we are kind of getting into opinions........I have had a Jacuzzi 325 for a while now. Nice spa, everything works as advertised. No surprises, no failures. I would definitely buy it again even if it cost a bit more. The warranty support was my main deciding factor. 5 years top to bottom, front to back....yes please.

Thanks for your opinions....But does anyone have any experience with Premium Leisure spas? I understand the name brands are Sterling Leisure and/or Pinnacle spas. We're eager to know if anyone can provide good/bad references on their products? It's obvious that Jacuzzi has been around for a long time and remains in the top of its category. We want to be able to make an educated decision especially since this is a huge investment....Thanks

Thanks for your opinions....But does anyone have any experience with Premium Leisure spas? I understand the name brands are Sterling Leisure and/or Pinnacle spas. We're eager to know if anyone can provide good/bad references on their products? It's obvious that Jacuzzi has been around for a long time and remains in the top of its category. We want to be able to make an educated decision especially since this is a huge investment....Thanks

You may have answered your own question with this last post.

Premium Leisure has been in business since November of 2007 (not 6-months as noted above...by a mod no less, and not 32 years either). Track record wise, and from the service department point of view I would have to say for the number of spas being produced that the lack of chatter speaks for itself to the other side of the arguments posed. Happy customers generally dont go out of their way to post. While no, grand scheme of things we havent been around as long as some would be comfortable with, but at the same time we arent being plastered all over the internet like others with similar yearly volume.

We also have several new initiatives and experienced significant growth during this economy where others are faltering and shrinking. With the roll out of the swim spa program, the purchasing of other spa companies assets, the hiring of key industry personnel, have to say in my biased opinion that I have never worked for a manufacturer this stable.

Having worked personally for both companies you are shopping in a service capacity you wont be unhappy with either. While I would certainly like to see you as a Premium Leisure customer, I feel its going to boil down most to which spa you like best after testing, and which dealer you are most comfortable in making this investment with for your family.

According to an archival site, PL's website goes back to Feb 2004, at which time they were advertising Hydro Spas.

Around Feb 2000 the site was changed saying;

"Hydro Spa Products by Premium Leisure LLC"

I love this line from their Feb 2008 home page;

"We have over 50 years of experience in the industry manufacturing quality luxury spas from the very basic low end to the Premium Luxxury spas to swim spas.."

50 years? :lol:

Past companies have done something like this. You take the number of years each employee has been "in the business", add em all up, and get your "years of experience".

"We have over 50 years of experience in the industry manufacturing quality luxury spas from the very basic low end to the Premium Luxxury spas to swim spas.."

I've seen it before and I hate when that phrasing is used to decieve. Maybe they have 25 people with 2 years of expereince each LOL. Even Master is a bit more above board when they say "Our management team has over 80 years of spa manufacturing success".

My wife turns 50 next month; I should start telling people that we've got 40 years of marriage expereince so they'll think we got married when she was 10 and I was 6.

Doc, I think despite your love to hate Hydro Spa bias showing for all to see, official public record will show my November of 2007 date to be the accurate and factual one in this thread. As an actual employee of both the Premium Leisure and Jacuzzi companies, with plenty of mud to sling I can assure you, you wont see me here doing that. I hope my post is viewed as factual and as unbiased as can be reasonably expected given my current position.

I have said it before, I am not in marketing or trying to start a marketing debate, as I personally feel there are very few companies on the planet that nail it with perfect marketing and early on we clearly were not in that club. I concern myself with building a better spa not what the web page says. So with no bigger targets we can harp on year plus old website marketing, though it seems somewhat petty and boring to me. Simple fact is we had to get a site up and start growing the company, I believe the site was changed some time ago, but I am sure you will verify. You should be much happier now and moving forward as we now have an official marketing team in place. It is my sincere hope that if they perform to your expectations that we can put the great marketing debate to rest. :P

I believe both Premium Leisure and Jacuzzi spas to be sound products, and that having personally and actually built, serviced, and been a manager in the support and engineering realms of BOTH companies that I would sit them down side by side. My personal feelings remain as posted, that if the original poster feels its a close race it should come down to personal comfort and dealer support. The mere fact that we have produced the number of spas that we have, and nearly no negative things to say should speak volumes.

I like to think that the fact that we are here nit picking marketing and not the product and quality means I am doing my job.

If all your doing is shopping on price go with premium leisure, but please don't post in 3 month how its not working, or how it cost too much to heat or how long it taking to get fix.

if you stick with name brand quality spas you will generally get your moneys worth.

It's definitely not just the price, it's the quality of the product and the value. Living in the midwest, I am also very concerned of the energy costs during the winter months. Both spas are really nice, which makes the decision difficult. I'm Internet savvy and since I hadn't found much online about the Premium Leisure product, I'm being cautious. At any rate, we'll have a decision by Sunday....

• 2 weeks later...
It's definitely not just the price, it's the quality of the product and the value. Living in the midwest, I am also very concerned of the energy costs during the winter months. Both spas are really nice, which makes the decision difficult. I'm Internet savvy and since I hadn't found much online about the Premium Leisure product, I'm being cautious. At any rate, we'll have a decision by Sunday....

FWIW, i purchased a Premium Leisure spa about 8 months ago. It was the Lexxus model, and ran about $4500 delivered with removal of my 20+ year old spa. The model fit in the existing deck surround and was well equipped for the price point. A few months later, the dealer went out of business, but having owned and worked on a spa for over 20 years, I am fine with replacing components as needed.

We did have a problem with some blistering in one small area. I am awaiting consistent over 70-degree weather to have the Warrantee repair done. Replacement of the spa would have been costly for me in terms of removal and re installation costs. A repair in place is much better. As a boat and kayak owner, I am fine with fiberglass repairs being made to the existing shell--have had that done multiple times to boats. The manufacturer has been responsive.

Other than that one glitch, the spa has been fine. Costs are less than my previous spa, so that works for me.

As many people have said here, it is important to look at your local dealers. It is also important to consider your own comfort with working on your spa. I was fine with saving 3K on spa costs and possibly having to do some of the repairs i had already done on my other spa(pump rebuild/replacement, heater replacement, control repair, etc.) If you are looking at a 15year+ lifespan on your spa, there are components that are going to fail within that time. I felt more comfortable with a spa using "off the shelf" components than custom components only available from the manufacturer.

Enjoy!

Premium Leisure is a 6 month old company that's a "spin off" of Hydro Spas. Hydro Spas went bankrupt.

Just to make sure all is fair for everyone. Here's a recent news article with regards to Premium Leisure, et all. This article was published in magazine form during the month of May, 2009 by Pool & Spa News.

Premium Leisure Adds New Brands, Personnel

http://www.poolspanews.com/2009/052/052n_premium.html