Diy Waterfall

Moknowz

I'm in the process of building an inground vinyl liner pool and would like to include a waterfall feature. I am planning to drystack some rather large rocks with some good sized flat rocks for the waterfall portion of the feature. I am trying to figure out what the professionals use to keep the water from leaking as well as keeping the water flowing in the right direction. I have built waterfalls for Koi ponds before using rocks and black liner to keep the water in check but I'm not sure if the same type of installation would be correct for my pool. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

I'm in the process of building an inground vinyl liner pool and would like to include a waterfall feature. I am planning to drystack some rather large rocks with some good sized flat rocks for the waterfall portion of the feature. I am trying to figure out what the professionals use to keep the water from leaking as well as keeping the water flowing in the right direction. I have built waterfalls for Koi ponds before using rocks and black liner to keep the water in check but I'm not sure if the same type of installation would be correct for my pool. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

The easiest way and it might be the same as ponds is the have the water flow into a tub that overflows to make a waterfall. It is better than trying to direct water from a jet or jets or a waterfall fitting. The bigger pre fab pool waterfalls use this method. Remember to install a valve to regulate pressure since most pool pumps are 40+ GPM

Thanks

Neil

The easiest way and it might be the same as ponds is the have the water flow into a tub that overflows to make a waterfall. It is better than trying to direct water from a jet or jets or a waterfall fitting. The bigger pre fab pool waterfalls use this method. Remember to install a valve to regulate pressure since most pool pumps are 40+ GPM

That's a good idea on the valve. I have a 3/4HP Sta-Rite pump that I plan to use for the waterfall. I've been scouring the internet on the DIY waterfall idea. I have seen a lot on the pre-cast stuff but very little on using real rock. I did find a small Youtube clip on natural stone installation but it didn't get into detail on how the seal it to keep it from leaking. Thanks for the help.

v/r

Neil

During new construction on a concrete pool, the waterfall is often set on top of a concrete/gunite pad, with the rocks being mortared together to prevent leakage around the back and sides of the waterfall. You could probably do something similar, and use a smaller version of the pond liner to waterproof it. Usually, there is a pipe 1.5" or 2" depending on the size of the waterfall that is run vertically up to the top of the waterfall, which lets the water flow in a more natural manner, rather than looking pressurized. For more natural flow, create a basin in which the water collects, then flows down the front of the waterfall. Put a large stone over the basin so it's not visible. Waterfalls are generally bad about leaking at least some.

• 2 months later...

You need to make sure you are well researched before attempting this project. Installing a natural stone waterfall has the potential to ruin your pool if installed incorrectly so dont risk your investment without proper research. Most specifically you are going to introduce a very heavy structure resting on one of the walls of your pool. Additional support will be required and will be dependant on the weight and configuration you choose for your waterfall. Woe is you if the area you built on is not compacted properly or has insufficient structual support.

I am a big fan of artificial rock waterfalls for this reason. To clarify, when I say artificial rock I am referring to concrete rocks that look and and feel exactly like the real thing, and not plastic rocks which look like plastic rocks.

That being said if you have the machinery on site already required to move huge boulders, and a surpluss of 5000-10000 pound boulders available to you then you can create a fantastic waterfall. Most waterfalls of this type are, like a previoous poster referenced, placed with mortar to create a somewhat waterproof seal. Additionally many waterfalls of this type utilize a cold or torch on membrane under the structure to create a more reliable waterproofing. Be sure to choose membrane suitable for load bearing applications should you choose to go this route.

You can mitigate the liklihood of waterloss by designing a waterway that has sufficient slope to encourage the water to run off directly back into the pool. The water will not leak through solid rock itself, but more where the rocks join together. If you can minimize or eliminate the tendancy for water to access the joints then you can reduce the liklihood of water escaping the system. The downside of this is that you could potentially compromise the authentic quality of the waterfall itself. If you can exit the water onto the waterway in such a fashion that is does not contact any mortar joints while still looking natural you have minimized the chance of leakage. Sealants can help to make the mortar joints and rock less permeable but are mostly unreliable as a primary form of water retention.

You may like to consider adding a "sheer decent" to your waterfall to have the water arc off the structure into the pool. this aggitates the water less that allowing it to tumble down a rock face and will be easier on chemical and heat loss.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

S