Slimey Feeling On Tub Seats

smhbuyer

The last couple of nights when we have gotten in our tub the seats have felt slimey to the touch. The water appears to be in balance. PH is a little higher than it has been but still in normal range. I did use one of those fragrance pouches, but it was made for hot tubs and stated that it would not effect the balance. What do you think it could be and how can we fix it??

The last couple of nights when we have gotten in our tub the seats have felt slimey to the touch. The water appears to be in balance. PH is a little higher than it has been but still in normal range. I did use one of those fragrance pouches, but it was made for hot tubs and stated that it would not effect the balance. What do you think it could be and how can we fix it??

Maintain your chlorine level at all times.

What sanitizer are you using? If you're using biguanide (e.g., BaquaSpa, SoftSwim) this a fairly normal phenomenom and nothing to be concerned about. BaquaSpa sanitizer (and probably the other biguanide spa and pool sanitizers) seem to contain a little surfactant (i.e., detergent or related compound) that tends to make things feel a little slippery. The surfactant is there to help minimize the buildup of scummy biguanide deposits at the waterline. It also accounts for the tendency of BaquaSpa-treated spas to turn milky white when the pumps are on high with air injection. This is due to millions of micro-bubbles produced by the injected air and facilitated by the surfactant.

A lot of people really like the silky feel of biguanide-treated spa water. I used BaquaSpafor a couple of years but finally switched to chlorine.

Don

What sanitizer are you using? If you're using biguanide (e.g., BaquaSpa, SoftSwim) this a fairly normal phenomenom and nothing to be concerned about. BaquaSpa sanitizer (and probably the other biguanide spa and pool sanitizers) seem to contain a little surfactant (i.e., detergent or related compound) that tends to make things feel a little slippery. The surfactant is there to help minimize the buildup of scummy biguanide deposits at the waterline. It also accounts for the tendency of BaquaSpa-treated spas to turn milky white when the pumps are on high with air injection. This is due to millions of micro-bubbles produced by the injected air and facilitated by the surfactant.

A lot of people really like the silky feel of biguanide-treated spa water. I used BaquaSpafor a couple of years but finally switched to chlorine.

Don

We use Nature 2, add chlorine once a week and shock weekly on a different day (per the dealers instructions). With this sanitizer, do you think we have nothing to be concerned with?

We use Nature 2, add chlorine once a week and shock weekly on a different day (per the dealers instructions). With this sanitizer, do you think we have nothing to be concerned with?

I'm really not familiar with the Nature 2 system. It's still important though to keep a chlorine residual in the water, and it seems to me that if you're trying to keep it low, around 0.5 ppm as the manufacturer suggests, you may need to add it more than once a week. How much do you add when you shock?

The slimy feel is most likely due to lack of sanitizer. I personally would never suggest the routine you are using. Use of Nature2 either requires a lot of MPS each time you use the spa and a chlorine shock weekly or a little chlorine after each use and either a chlorine or MPS shock weekly. Nature2 is a very slow bacteriacide and is easily overcome by even just one bather. Chlorine is fast acting but does not last long. MPS along with Nature2 apparently works but you need to add lots of MPS when spa is in use. Chlorine and MPS once per week each is way too little sanitizer, IMO.

Thank you Don, Tony and rentit...actually you were all right. We added our weekly chlorine on Friday and the problem was gone on Saturday. We are going to increase the frequency that we add the chlorine and continue to do the weekly shock. Gotta tell you...I love this forum!!! Where else can you get such a such a service for free...accurate, informative, friendly and fast. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1

Thank you Don, Tony and rentit...actually you were all right. We added our weekly chlorine on Friday and the problem was gone on Saturday. We are going to increase the frequency that we add the chlorine and continue to do the weekly shock. Gotta tell you...I love this forum!!! Where else can you get such a such a service for free...accurate, informative, friendly and fast. Thanks so much!!

Do the stuff you mention and you will be in great shape!

• 10 years later...

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am new and my search for this topic came up with this discussion.  I have the same issue, but I'm using bromine tablets instead of chlorine.  PH levels were a bit high so just waiting for that to settle.  Also shocked it earlier this week to try and help.   

We just got the tub 2 weeks ago and have been trying to learn!   Any suggestions for getting rid of the slime in a bromine-based tub would be greatly appreciated!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 4:33 PM, spdztr said:

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am new and my search for this topic came up with this discussion.  I have the same issue, but I'm using bromine tablets instead of chlorine.  PH levels were a bit high so just waiting for that to settle.  Also shocked it earlier this week to try and help.   

We just got the tub 2 weeks ago and have been trying to learn!   Any suggestions for getting rid of the slime in a bromine-based tub would be greatly appreciated!!

We are having the exact same issue! Also using Bromine. Any answers yet? Kim