D.e. In The Bottom Of The Pool.

I've got diatomaceous earth dunes building up on the bottom of my pool. I have taken apart the Hayward D.E. filter and replaced all the o-rings. I also inspected all the grids for rips and tears and found nothing wrong. I also made sure that the manifold was secured tightly to the grids. After I vacuum out the sand dunes in the bottom of the pool, they will reappear again the next day. Does anyone have any idea how the D.E. can be sneeking out of the filter?

I've got diatomaceous earth dunes building up on the bottom of my pool. I have taken apart the Hayward D.E. filter and replaced all the o-rings. I also inspected all the grids for rips and tears and found nothing wrong. I also made sure that the manifold was secured tightly to the grids. After I vacuum out the sand dunes in the bottom of the pool, they will reappear again the next day. Does anyone have any idea how the D.E. can be sneeking out of the filter?

So your saying when you add De or vac out the dunes it does not return until the next day? Most of the times when something is torn or broke the the DE returns to the pool right away. Is the bottom of the manifold cracked? Did you completely take the grid assembly apart for inspection?

Mustard Algae also looks like DE powder in the pool.

It is definitely DE. After vacuuming the DE does not immediately recycle back to the pool ... at least it is not visible through the turbulence. The water does not get cloudy and there is probably less than 2 cups of DE buildup on the pool bottom. The DE shows up after the next pump cycle. I inspected the manifold very closely and thoroughly cleaned and inspected the grids also ... no problem found.

If it's happening overnight, and we assume you're pump is off during the night, then it's likely that your filter and equipment are draining overnight, allowing the DE to flow back into the pool thru your main drain and skimmers. In the morning, before the pump turns on, check the inside of your skimmers and around the main drain. If you see DE in these areas, then you've found the source. This is usually caused by a leak in the pool equipment somewhere. Start your pump, allow it to prime fully, bleed the air from the filter. Then, turn the pump off and see if you can hear bubbling inside the filter. You may also hear a small air leak somewhere, but you'll have to listen carefully to hear it. If you have visible leak when the pump is running, this is the most likely area to fix.