Free Clorine

Guest Rick

I have a 15x30 freeform inground pool and it's 3 ft. at one end and 6ft. at the other.

We run a saltwater chlorineter and cannot get a read on free clorine. The ph is 7.6

and stays there for 7-10 days then rises slightly so I add a little muratic acid and its good for another 7 - 10 days. The chlorine reads around 2.0 - 3.8 but when I do a complet test for free chlorine (tc - cc = fc) included in my test kit I get ZERO. I get a green tint of algae every now and then but it goes away if I turn the chlorinater up to the max. But then the tc goes way up above 6.0. I have a little issue with pool water burning swimmers eyes, just slightly. Do I need to shock the pool and if so can just tern the chlorinater up to the max and let the chlorine get to the level I need to shock the pool? the chloriater manufacturer told me I would not need to shock he pool so I don't know how they expect me to burn off the combined chlorine?

Guest Guest_Mike_*

Try setting your salt generator at a consistent level (maybe 40-60% depending on water temp and sun exposure) and keeping a good level of NaCl (2800-3200 ppm) while constantly watching ph and TA.

Does your pool have an over-flow grate in the tile line, if so then you can always add water to reduce chlorine.