Removing a Fiberglass pool

Guest Mary

how hard is it to remove a fiberglass pool? We have an inground fiberglass pool that is perfectly fine, but we don't want it anymore and are considering getting rid of it. Is it possible to take it out in one piece so someone else can use it or must it be destroyed to remove it?

OK, these can be tricky...

It can be removed....just make sure that you do not have ground water that may cause suction....that will damage it.

The way I have done it in the past is to take all the water out and put it under the pool so it will float. Then you can tie straps to the pool and crane it out of the hole, depending on your location.

Please, I am too trying to get rid of my fiberglass pool. Most of the water is out because of a leak. All of a sudden I look out of my window noticed no water! Can I do this myself? Do I have to get a permit? etc. It is a 32,000 gallon pool. Without cost too much money. I work for small claims, so I know about contractors. Any advice please!

Thank you

Becky

how much will it cost me to rid of my pool (fiberglass) 32,000 gallon, now down to about 20,000 due to a leak (crack) that kept on going down the side. My husband tried his best, but it is a money pit and we can no longer afford to keep it. We live in Newark, California and was wondering if there is anyone from the Bay Area can give me an estimate on just riddng of it.

I appreciate any help.

• 1 month later...

how hard is it to remove a fiberglass pool? We have an inground fiberglass pool that is perfectly fine, but we don't want it anymore and are considering getting rid of it. Is it possible to take it out in one piece so someone else can use it or must it be destroyed to remove it?

It is quite simple.

I do it all the time. Break the concrete around the pool, 2' or more back. Dig out the sand around the pool, as you drain the water. Cut all pipes connected to the pool (a reciprocating saw/sawzall works well). On large pools place spreader beams or wood supports across the pool. Attach heavy duty lifting straps to all four corners. slowly lift up on the pool. You can use a crane or a large boom fork lift.

If you need help, email me at culdesacfamily@yahoo.com

• 13 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A fiberglass pool can be installed or removed relatively easily by a crane, with minimal risk of damage to the shell if the process is performed carefully. In fact, by some estimates, the shock-absorbing nature of fiberglass allows it to flex without cracking or breaking. While we don’t recommend testing this assertion, it’s nice to know you are working with a resilient material.  Of course, moving a swimming pool or spa is no simple task. There is excavation that must be done (both around the pool and at the new site), plumbing and electrical connections that must dealt with, etc. But, if planned and executed properly, a pool move can be a cost-effective alternative to buying and installing a new pool.

• 2 months later...