Urgent: How To Neutralize Trash Can Of Muriatic Acid

I used a small trash can to soak my DE filter elements. The muriatic acid I used was 15-16% and I diluted it one part to 6 parts water. I have between 15 and 20 gallons.

Normally, I don't keep soda ash on hand. Never used it in the spa because our tap water always has a pH above 8.0. I did have a lot of borax and baking soda. I added 8 pounds of borax and 1 pound of baking soda, but that didn't make much difference.

Several hours later, baking soda sprinkled onto the surface still causes foaming like the vinegar experiment would in science class. The borax is helping, but very slowly. I presume this means the pH is still below 7.0.

The gardeners will be here today and I need to get that trash can emptied ASAP!!!

What can I do to safely dispose of the water? Could I dump some of it into an empty flowerbed that I know has alkaline soil? If not, I'm worried about plumbing damage until the pH comes down.

If I assume Muriatic Acid as 15% Hydrochloric Acid diluted 1:6 into 20 gallons, then this would take either 9.7 cup of lye/caustic soda/sodium hydroxide or around 11.4 cups (6.5 pounds) of pH Up/soda ash/washing soda/sodium carbonate or around 47.2 cups (24.7 pounds) of Borax to neutralize. So you simply didn't add enough base. You can get more borax or get some lye, but when you think you are near done, I'd use baking soda since that will tend to move towards a pH near 8 helping to compensate if you overshoot.

I used a small trash can to soak my DE filter elements. The muriatic acid I used was 15-16% and I diluted it one part to 6 parts water. I have between 15 and 20 gallons.

Normally, I don't keep soda ash on hand. Never used it in the spa because our tap water always has a pH above 8.0. I did have a lot of borax and baking soda. I added 8 pounds of borax and 1 pound of baking soda, but that didn't make much difference.

Several hours later, baking soda sprinkled onto the surface still causes foaming like the vinegar experiment would in science class. The borax is helping, but very slowly. I presume this means the pH is still below 7.0.

The gardeners will be here today and I need to get that trash can emptied ASAP!!!

What can I do to safely dispose of the water? Could I dump some of it into an empty flowerbed that I know has alkaline soil? If not, I'm worried about plumbing damage until the pH comes down.

Wait until tonight, then put it in your NEIGHBORS flower bed!!!!