Gunite Or Shotcrete Subcontractor Prcing

I am a professional do-it-your-selfer and am in the process of planning a pool. I am trying to get estimates from shotcrete and gunite contractors to spray my pool. The design specs. excavation, steel, plumbing, and electrical is taken care of. I cannot get a reasonable quote for the concrete. I need approximately 30 yards of material and the quotes I received are $18,000 and $20,000. Concrete is around $85 per yard delivered. How can labor and equipment overhead be in excess of $15,000? I assume I am being rip. I can buy used shotcrete equipment for that price, granted I don't have the skill to run the equipment or apply it. I have searched high and low, but I am unable to find pricing guidelines for pneumatically applied concrete. Can anyone give me some guidance? I understand that for pools, some contractors price the product based upon the square foot or lineal foot of wall. I'll take what every anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Jamie

I am a professional do-it-your-selfer and am in the process of planning a pool. I am trying to get estimates from shotcrete and gunite contractors to spray my pool. The design specs. excavation, steel, plumbing, and electrical is taken care of. I cannot get a reasonable quote for the concrete. I need approximately 30 yards of material and the quotes I received are $18,000 and $20,000. Concrete is around $85 per yard delivered. How can labor and equipment overhead be in excess of $15,000? I assume I am being rip. I can buy used shotcrete equipment for that price, granted I don't have the skill to run the equipment or apply it. I have searched high and low, but I am unable to find pricing guidelines for pneumatically applied concrete. Can anyone give me some guidance? I understand that for pools, some contractors price the product based upon the square foot or lineal foot of wall. I'll take what every anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Jamie

For anyone who is interestes, I was able to get a quote from a California shotcrete company for a standard pool with one set of steps, no raised bond beam, with a 12" thick beam, 6" thick walls and a 6" thick floor of around $7,000 for 30 yards. That works out to $233 per yard, thus labor and equipment overhead and profit works out to about 2.5 time material, which is a lot more reasonable that the prices I have been quoted locally, which are 6 plus times material.

Best,

Jamie

• 3 years later...

Jamie,

It seems to have been some time since you asked this but I'll still reply for others that may be interested in the information. As with anything construction related the geographic location can alter these numbers significantly.

I am a professional shotcrete contractor in the state of South Carolina. While shotcrete pool shell installation has always been our mainstay, we occasionally do pump jobs for block fill and for slabs that are unaccessable by concrete trucks.

In my area the general going rate for shotcrete application for pool shells is in the $65.00 to $85.00 per yard range. Pool contractors that use us regularly obviously being on the lower end of the scale. This price is for the application and finishing of the concrete and does not include material.. Some contractors price the job based on the perimeter foot of the pool. and add extra for benches steps spas and other more detailed items that may be included in the shoot. I don't know their pricing schedule as I've always priced my jobs by the yard only adding extra for major items such as negitive edges and fountains. These are things that take extra work beyond just shooting and finishing.

Most contractors charge a setup fee(some call it a mobilization fee), this is to cover the expense of getting the equipment to the job and setting up.This is usually between $200 and $300 depending on the contractor and the difficulty of access to the job.By access I mean can we place the equipment close to the job or are we going to have to drag out 400 foot of hose. Most of us also charge extra for mileage if the job happens to be further than a typical service area. I charge $2.00 per mile on anything over a 50 mile radius from my area. And lastly most of us have a minimum charge to cover operating expenses. I personally have a 20 yard minimum.

Another thing to keep in mind that while concrete may be $85 per yard but shotcrete is a little different mix design consisting of pea gravel or other smaller aggregates than typical concrete mixes. It also usually has a little higher cement ratio and sometimes flyash to aid in pumping. Shotcrete mix in my area typically runs $15 to $35 per yard higher than regular deck mix depending on the supplier. Also not to be confused with just a regular pump mix such as used for block fill. While just plain pump mix is designed to aid in pumping it still lacks the needed ratios to be pumped at the slumps or the cured compression stregnth required for shooting a pool shell .

I hope you and others find this information useful and good luck with your project.

• 6 years later...
On 7/8/2012 at 6:39 AM, cwalker1960 said:

Jamie,

It seems to have been some time since you asked this but I'll still reply for others that may be interested in the information. As with anything construction related the geographic location can alter these numbers significantly.

I am a professional shotcrete contractor in the state of South Carolina. While shotcrete pool shell installation has always been our mainstay, we occasionally do pump jobs for block fill and for slabs that are unaccessable by concrete trucks.

In my area the general going rate for shotcrete application for pool shells is in the $65.00 to $85.00 per yard range. Pool contractors that use us regularly obviously being on the lower end of the scale. This price is for the application and finishing of the concrete and does not include material.. Some contractors price the job based on the perimeter foot of the pool. and add extra for benches steps spas and other more detailed items that may be included in the shoot. I don't know their pricing schedule as I've always priced my jobs by the yard only adding extra for major items such as negitive edges and fountains. These are things that take extra work beyond just shooting and finishing.

Most contractors charge a setup fee(some call it a mobilization fee), this is to cover the expense of getting the equipment to the job and setting up.This is usually between $200 and $300 depending on the contractor and the difficulty of access to the job.By access I mean can we place the equipment close to the job or are we going to have to drag out 400 foot of hose. Most of us also charge extra for mileage if the job happens to be further than a typical service area. I charge $2.00 per mile on anything over a 50 mile radius from my area. And lastly most of us have a minimum charge to cover operating expenses. I personally have a 20 yard minimum.

Another thing to keep in mind that while concrete may be $85 per yard but shotcrete is a little different mix design consisting of pea gravel or other smaller aggregates than typical concrete mixes. It also usually has a little higher cement ratio and sometimes flyash to aid in pumping. Shotcrete mix in my area typically runs $15 to $35 per yard higher than regular deck mix depending on the supplier. Also not to be confused with just a regular pump mix such as used for block fill. While just plain pump mix is designed to aid in pumping it still lacks the needed ratios to be pumped at the slumps or the cured compression stregnth required for shooting a pool shell .

I hope you and others find this information useful and good luck with your project.

How much would you charge to shoot Shotcrete in Gainesville GA? 35 yards, my crew will finish the concrete I just need someone to shoot it.