Kayak Pool Waterwalls

I have a 12x24 Kayak above ground pool. I would say the pool is at least 20 years old. This past winter I had a piece of ice that formed on the side break off and puncture a hole in the liner. Once the snow/ice finally melted and I had a chance to see the damage we realized that the ice broke through the liner and the waterwall was rotted and broke apart. This happened in more that one location and all the walls looked like they were rotting at the bottom.

I've had numerous pool people out to provide quotes for repairing it. I know the liner has to be replaced but there are two ideas floating around regarding the waterwalls.

1.) Order the Kayak Waterwall replace kits from a vendor

2.) Use pressure treated plywood

The consensus is that if we go with option 1 we'll get another 10-15 years out of the pool. If I go with option 2 I'll get 3-5 years. Obviously the cost will less if I go with option but one repairman said that if I use pressure treated plywood the chemicals used in the pool will deteriorate the wood quickly.

Any suggestions/comments on the 2 options? Has anyone replaced the walls on their own? If so, what was your experience?

Also, for anyone that has a pool and gets a lot of snow/ice, what do you do for covering your pool in the winter?

• 10 years later...