Keys Backyard

mader

Mader ,

Thanks for the pics.Did you check around before buying your tub? Just wondering if there are a few brands to choose from. The one online at costco looks good but I don't know much about it. The name is Discovery Aqua Sonic Spa from Keys Backyard. They are selling it for $4,000 after a $1,000 discount. What do you think ?Any help would be great. I also like the Sundance Brand. Please email me with any info

trailblazerfan@comcast.net

Thanks Rick G.

Let me know if you want to know more.

How's the tub Mater?

Anyone have any experience with the Three person Discovery? I'm also looking at the Sundance, but this looks great for the price and the ability to return to Costco.

Thanks - Baja.

I purchased a keys la paz, their small they say five person spa, its a 110 spa, really like it so far, I unfortunantly had 110 wiring so needed a small spa that would fit on a small patio. I understand the limitations that people on here describe, maybe less insulation, but honestly I live in warm weather-Austin, it has two closed sides on my patio and this fits so perfectly with what I have. It is 22 years newer than my last one which died of dry rot/old age. At any rate, it was delivered just like they promised by two guys in the pouring rain, not a g ood day for them. They would have palleted it to the backyard for me but I had the old one to dispose of. I paid including the $400 to haul away the old one, lug the newe one onto--thats not up to but onto the patio about $3,000 total. You could if you could cut this out by using your buddies, maybe do a little better, but to me I'm 53 yrs old and I wasn't going to get back problems hauling a hot tub, the problem I had was it is a long sloping covered patio, they had to stand up the old one and walk in the new one, so it wasn't as simple as just haul it back. At any rate so far I have been really pleased. I have a really simple spa, but its on a patio with bar lights, neon, a bar, cable, a boom box, etc, so I didn't really need all the gizmos. Its also terrribly cheaper to run anyway, it has one pump two hundred gallons, I have seen too many people buy too gig a tub for like 8 people and honestly if there's more than three of us we just sit at the bar and take turns or go jump in the pool. I understand that I have no local dealer support, however they do have service for my area, and honestly after visiting several local dealers and checking them out it looked like they had basically the same products with more mark up. Please don't flame me if your a dealer, I understand the tradeoffs but $10,000 for a hot tub is more than I had. I think you will be fine with the keys three man but I think the la paz is just a little roomier, you might like it better it has a lounger. I ended up hiring the deler's guys to move/remove, his comment was I think you got a good deal and pretty well built spa, after I told him what I paid. The La Paz is sold both on e-bay and thru Sears.com and probably others. They are basically taking your order and sending it to Keys. I work for Sears as a second job and I got a little extra discount so I bought it from them. I also know in general Sears is pretty good about taking care of folks. If you have any questions about Keys I'll try and answer them if I can..

Mader ,

Thanks for the pics.Did you check around before buying your tub? Just wondering if there are a few brands to choose from. The one online at costco looks good but I don't know much about it. The name is Discovery Aqua Sonic Spa from Keys Backyard. They are selling it for $4,000 after a $1,000 discount. What do you think ?Any help would be great. I also like the Sundance Brand. Please email me with any info

trailblazerfan@comcast.net

Thanks Rick G.

Let me know if you want to know more.

How's the tub Mater?

Anyone have any experience with the Three person Discovery? I'm also looking at the Sundance, but this looks great for the price and the ability to return to Costco.

Thanks - Baja.

Talked to my local Sundance dealer and they are asking $4700 for the Tacoma - This is $1700 more than the Keys. The Tacoma also has a 1.5 hp motor and the Keys is 4...Does this mean more than double the power? 12 Jets on the Tacoma vs 30 on the Keys. Ozone is also included w/ Costco and it's $250 extra for the Sundance.

Almost sounds too good to be true...Any comments? I won't lie - The Sundance does look better and the shell has nicer lines...But are the lines worth 2 grand ($2000) more? Maybe I just answered my own question....Baja.

Talked to my local Sundance dealer and they are asking $4700 for the Tacoma - This is $1700 more than the Keys. The Tacoma also has a 1.5 hp motor and the Keys is 4...Does this mean more than double the power? 12 Jets on the Tacoma vs 30 on the Keys. Ozone is also included w/ Costco and it's $250 extra for the Sundance.

Almost sounds too good to be true...Any comments? I won't lie - The Sundance does look better and the shell has nicer lines...But are the lines worth 2 grand ($2000) more? Maybe I just answered my own question....Baja.

I certainly think there is a difference in Qaulity but there is one point to those stats I want to help you with. The Sundance has a 1.5 HP pump, that is continuous HP. The Keys is showing theirs as 4.0 but that is BHP, where the B stands for Brake (or bullsh!t) which is the starting HP not the running or continuous HP. The reason they rate it that way is to fool people into thinking it has more HP than it really does (they aren't teh only ones, a lot do that for that same reason). In reality that would probably be a 2.0 continuous HP pump in the Keys spa.

I certainly think there is a difference in Qaulity but there is one point to those stats I want to help you with. The Sundance has a 1.5 HP pump, that is continuous HP. The Keys is showing theirs as 4.0 but that is BHP, where the B stands for Brake (or bullsh!t) which is the starting HP not the running or continuous HP. The reason they rate it that way is to fool people into thinking it has more HP than it really does (they aren't teh only ones, a lot do that for that same reason). In reality that would probably be a 2.0 continuous HP pump in the Keys spa.

There will be alot of other differences for the 2 grand. The heater will be of a higher quality, the pump with be of higher quality and last longer on both of them. The plumbing will be smoother and use higher quality components and several other things. The Keys may be of good value and last for 10 years, may last for 10 years. The Sundance may last for 20 but it WILL last for 10. Higher quality skirting, smoother shell design, better controls. Even though it has less jets it will probably have better jet feel and action as I would guess 10-15 of those jets on the keys tub are small bullet jets.

So to say that the only difference is 2000 bucks for a better smoother looking shell is you trying to convince yourself. Go for it and let us know your experience in the next year and in the next 5 years.

There will be alot of other differences for the 2 grand. The heater will be of a higher quality, the pump with be of higher quality and last longer on both of them. The plumbing will be smoother and use higher quality components and several other things. The Keys may be of good value and last for 10 years, may last for 10 years. The Sundance may last for 20 but it WILL last for 10. Higher quality skirting, smoother shell design, better controls. Even though it has less jets it will probably have better jet feel and action as I would guess 10-15 of those jets on the keys tub are small bullet jets.

So to say that the only difference is 2000 bucks for a better smoother looking shell is you trying to convince yourself. Go for it and let us know your experience in the next year and in the next 5 years.

Well the truth with Keys is that if thats what your checkbook can afford buy it and worry about it in 10 years. My spa is in a sheltered patio, the last one lasted 22 years, it wasn't anywhere near top of the line either, it was a polynesian, besides if you took that $2000 and left in the bank somewhere for 10 years it would add up, or the opposite is if your weren't financing $2,000 more forever then your still ahead. $2,000 is a pretty good chunk. I don't know how long my keys will last, all I can tell you is so far it has been just what I wanted , no frills, but easy maintenance, the filter is pull out, wash out, my old spa you had to crank it out with a wrench, this one has digital panel, the other one was a manual, again compared to it it's fabulous. I really didn't need alot of the things like add ons, because they're already on my patio, it has lighting, bar, boom box, cable tv, blender, beer fridge, yes I love my patio and the keys is fine so far. Honestly when they were taking my 22 yr old spa away, it didn't have a whole lot of insulation either and most of it was falling off, so I figure the new one can't be any worse. Heck I'm excited it has a light in it, and it does what I need, a simple spa. In the spa world never underestimate small and simple, less water to heat, less things to go wrong. The biggest mistake

I have seen people do is buy a huge two pump spa for eight, honestly the six by six foot one holds three adults, we just take turns, its not a problem and its a whole lot cheaper. just some random thoughts..

Do yourself a favor and do a search on the spa forums regarding Keys Backyard spas. There have been issues with the spas and getting factory support for repairs.

My name is Ralph and I am the Alaska & Washington state

Factory Warranty service person for both HYDROSPA & KEYS

If your in these states then call the factory and tell them to send Ralph / Alaska Recreational

out to fix your Spa. Once the factory sends me the Warranty work order, Ill be fixing your Hot Tub

within a couple of days. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ralph in LaConner, Wa

I fix them all, and like the Costco HydroSpa

the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!

The plumbing will be smoother and use higher quality components and several other things.

I can't believe - with the ENDLESS discussion of horsepower on this forum - that no one ever mentions plumbing.

First of all, I think spas are the only "industry" that mentions pump horsepower. In every other situation where I've encountered water pumps, they've been measured in water flow (usually gallons per minute) at 0 ft. head. That's measured as if there's NO plumbing attached to the pump.

But of course, there's lots of stuff attached to the pump. Yards and yards of bending pipes, 90 degree angles, diverter valves, manifolds, and other power-robbing plumbing. All these will reduce the flow from the pump (regardless of the horsepower being used to get that flow).

Then, there's the jets. If you look at two spas, and one has 30 jets but the other has 60, people on this board seem to tout the 60 jetter as being "better". That's not necessarily the case. If two spas had the exact same pumps and the exact same plumbing (which, by the way, is NEVER the case), the one with 30 jets will feel MORE POWERFUL than the 60 jet spa. Sure, you'll be getting massaged out of more jets, but there will be half as much water coming out of each jet vs. the 60 jet version.

All this means is that horsepower comparisons should mean NOTHING when evaluating spas. WET TEST! It's the only way you'll ever find out how good the tub really is.

Hey Ralph--tell us what you think about keys, good or bad, I understand they aren't the flashiest/most expensive--but they seem to do what we need to them to do, have you had good/bad experience-how's their repair rate compared to others, how do you rate their construction, you work on them, give us some fedback....

I have a tub from keys. The bill in the winter (new england) is around 75-90 bucks a month. Down to like 25 in the summer. Other than that I've had mine for over a year and a half and have had no problems with it. Runs great. Any specific question you have I would be happy to answer.

First thing I would do if I owed a tub that ran upwards of $90 per month to operate would be to SHUT IT DOWN! :huh: Then I'd pack it up and ship it back.

Maybe "keys" means it's only meant to run in the Florida Keys?

I am sure it is a keys backyard. They do blow in the foam insulation, they just dont blow much in. It is not a full foam, they just spray it to the undeside of the shell. The cover that comes with it isn't the greatest either. There have been several posts on here from people that have similar tubs who have added thier own insulation with very good results. The monthly electrical cost for either the costco or the keys is fairly similar per month.

KEYS BACKYARD DOES NOT HAVE FULL FOAM INSULATION! Heat locking tape along some portions of the inside panel with NO FOAM! My neighbor ken's backyard keys tub has practically no insulation at all.

I believe Ralph truly does love Hydrospas and Keys. I'm sure he stays extremely busy and makes a good living off those companies.

I wonder if he's the gentleman I saw in the badass Gulfstream V Spa Repair Jet at Hydrospa HQ a couple of years ago? That sucker took off like an albatross with his balls afire, did a loopty loop, and jetted off into the assmosphere, presumably to service a spa somewhere in the continental U.S. or Alaska. It was the most high-techist service vehicle I ever sawed!

I wish we had a corporate jet for service calls. We only have white vans, but our territory is smaller.

Terminator

I believe Ralph truly does love Hydrospas and Keys. I'm sure he stays extremely busy and makes a good living off those companies.

I wonder if he's the gentleman I saw in the badass Gulfstream V Spa Repair Jet at Hydrospa HQ a couple of years ago? That sucker took off like an albatross with his balls afire, did a loopty loop, and jetted off into the assmosphere, presumably to service a spa somewhere in the continental U.S. or Alaska. It was the most high-techist service vehicle I ever sawed!

I wish we had a corporate jet for service calls. We only have white vans, but our territory is smaller.

Terminator

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 4 years later...

I just found this site, and I have several comments on my Keys Backyard model# PFSB5105. I purchased this from Walmart in 2005. Inexpensive yes! But cheap? NO! I love this spa! I have had to replace the heater twice in that time, but no big deal. I had a guy come out and do it the first time, and the second time I did it myself. Easy Peasy! I couldnt afford a spa for over $3000 so I went this way. I take care of if and I am especially careful about the water levels, acidity or alkalinity.. Very important! I use bromine instead of chlorine. Its not so toxic smelling. I probably could have gone with an ozinator, but found the bromine was fine for me. I lost my manual somewhere along the way and I am always on the lookout for one. I didnt hook it up to 220v, I just stuck with the 110 plug that came with it and installed a GFCI plug outside the house. I get alot of snow where I live, and have never had any pipes break or any issues of that sort. I just this morning cleaned it out and refilled it and had to prime it.. Without the manual, I forgot how, so I came looking for the answer and found it. I forgot all about the little air plug on the end of the pump. I just opened it up a bit and heard air escaping, waited until water was coming and when I didnt hear air anymore, I closed it up. Now it is running and heating and clean! I am quite pleased with my purchase! If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Enjoy the day!

FYI, this thread has not had any activity in about 7 years so I don't think you are going to see much of a response.

Well, if he or she is advocating for the brand, it is really a waste of time. Keys Backyard went bankrupt and out of business a long time ago. I hope he or she doesn't have one of the 240 volt only models. Those boards are impossible to find now.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used Keys Spa last year. I have had to buy a new board and some jets, and have had no problems finding parts. Its taken a little research. I have no manual. The guy we bought the spa from, told us it worked, and of course it need a new board. The tub is a little expensive to run in the winter, but cost less then a new one, and runs good.