What Is The Cheapest Most Efficient Way To Heat A Pool?

Whatever you use, a $100 investment in a solar blanket will help, especially for retaining the heat when pool is not being used.

From my own experience, a light blue, 12-mil solar blanket is probably the best all-around choice:

I am installing an inground vinyl liner pool and would like to know the cheapest most effective way to heat the new pool.

Heat pump- - Gas- - or- - Electric

Please give me your feedback. Thanks

B)

I am installing an inground vinyl liner pool and would like to know the cheapest most effective way to heat the new pool.

Heat pump- - Gas- - or- - Electric

Please give me your feedback. Thanks

B)

Hello,

I would say wood, if you have access to it.

I am new to the form and wanted to share information on a wood burning pool heater.

I constructed the system from about $230 worth of material and it had taken about 6 hours.

It is heating a 30,000 gallon pool, raising it about 5 deg F per day. The system does not look

out of place, but you be the judge.

I will try to enclose a photo.

If I can't please respond with an email address and I will send it to you.

Thanks.

-Mark

Without a doubt, an electric heat pump is the most efficient. The down side is, with ~110,000 BTU output, it may take a few days to heat the pool to the desired temp. Gas units usually have a much higher BTU output and can heat the pool sometimes in one day to a few hours. The down side is, you may need to install a 2" gas line to the unit. This will cost you bigtime on the gas bill.

Without a doubt, an electric heat pump is the most efficient. The down side is, with ~110,000 BTU output, it may take a few days to heat the pool to the desired temp. Gas units usually have a much higher BTU output and can heat the pool sometimes in one day to a few hours. The down side is, you may need to install a 2" gas line to the unit. This will cost you bigtime on the gas bill.

How about solar. The sun is free if you have the room for them. You could also do a combo of solar and gas or electric.

Jandy does make a 95% efficient pool heater, The HI E2 but its big bucks

Here's the rundown as I see it:

- Solar pool cover: no brainer, everyone who wants a pool warmer needs to have one

- Gas: cheap to install, expensive to very expensive to run

- Solar: medium-low purchase and installation costs, requires a lot of sunny space, costs nothing to run, not good in cloudy or cool weather

- Heat pump: Expensive to purchase and install, cheap it run but only heats best when you don't need it

- Wood: Self-built is cheap, purchased is medium expensive to install, there are smoke and fire stoking issues but cheap to run if you have the wood and they heat all year round.

Barko - can you post photos of your heater??