Taylor 2006 Test Kit

cporro

i should have gotten a test kit to begin with. when it did show up i did some side my sides with 2 common test strips. these were all done within 20 minutes of each other.

FC CC TA pH CH

poolmaster 5 3 180 8.4 450

aquachek 3 3 180 7.8 250

taylor 3.4 1.8 100 7.9

my question is about testing pH with the taylor. that test begins with dissolving 2 scoops of crystals in the sample. this takes a long time. for me something like 5 minutes and i have to keep swirling. sometimes i think its dissolved and there are a few crystals at the bottom. so when i thought i reached an endpoint and recorded the result 30 seconds later it turned pink again. is there a kit with less swirling and waiting and not knowing if things are dissloved?

and the scoop method seems so inaccurate. i'm guessing its not super critical.

also..lately i've been getting high CC readings which see to be following my FC readings. But i don't have high levels of FC and i haven't used MPS for maybe 2 weeks. any ideas?

my question is about testing pH with the taylor. that test begins with dissolving 2 scoops of crystals in the sample. this takes a long time. for me something like 5 minutes and i have to keep swirling. sometimes i think its dissolved and there are a few crystals at the bottom. so when i thought i reached an endpoint and recorded the result 30 seconds later it turned pink again. is there a kit with less swirling and waiting and not knowing if things are dissloved?

I assume you're talking about FC, not pH. I'm not sure, but maybe you have an old batch, or the crystals absorbed some mosture. Mine seem to dissolve pretty quick, within 10 secs.

and the scoop method seems so inaccurate. i'm guessing its not super critical.

Here's a question for Chem geek. I've often thought the same thing. However, the measurements are very consistent.

Do be honest, the only time I measure FC using the Drop Test kit is if I'm checking the Chlorine Demand.

also..lately i've been getting high CC readings which see to be following my FC readings. But i don't have high levels of FC and i haven't used MPS for maybe 2 weeks. any ideas?

Speaking of which, have you checked your CD? If you're having trouble getting your CC and/or CD down, give it a good shock of MPS (1 oz), and chase it with a cup of bleach. That should clean things up. ;)

The powder is like dye so it doesn't matter how much you use (within reason) except you need to use enough to show color IF you see a flash of pink when the chlorine level is very high. Usually one scoop is enough; sometimes two are needed.

You don't have to have all of the crystals fully dissolved. You just want to show the pink/red color. Again, think of this as an indicator dye since that is what it is. I usually have some undissolved crystals during the early part of the test -- again, that doesn't matter. I start adding the titrating drops soon after I see the pink/red color.

You do not want to keep waiting 30 seconds or so after the last drops. If you do, then Combined Chlorine (CC) can bleed through into the Free Chlorine (FC) test. You want to just add drops to get a count of drops for FC and after it is clear from that then add the R-0003 to see if there is CC and then titrate with more drops to turn clear again.

Richard