"aiming" Returns

Are you looking to move the debris on the surface? Or more beneath the surface? There are no real guidelines that I know of. Other than the fact that when you point them upward to move the surface, you may loose water temp. The rest is trial and error. All pools are different. Any circulation strategies should be dealt with during construction, i.e. return placement.

My preference is to direct the pool returns to achieve a circular water flow across the top of the water, which will help carry surface debris to the skimmers better. You want to avoid having a strong current straight at or past a skimmer, as this will make it difficult for the skimmers to pull the debris in. Even doing this, due to the shape of the pool and location of the returns, there are often spots that may get circulated as well as other areas.