? Black Algae Problem For Last Year

Kon

Hi all,

I found my swim pool, for the first time , gone dark grey about a year ago after I covered it and left for two weeks at the end of summer. I have had problems not knowing why I could not clear the loose grey deposits from the bottom of the pool after multiple vacuums to waste. When disturbed, the deposits would rise to the surface as small black flakes. These flakes are like ink when rubbed with the fingers and will not be cleaned by the filter.

:rolleyes: Last Wednesday, a few days after uncovering the pool (was covered for two months without attention) and lowering the chlorine levels to normal concetration (the paint was damaged and clouded the water), I managed to clean the pool of any sediment for the first time in a year.

:o However, yesterday I saw the small black flakes coming out of the pool inlet that comes from the rubber solar heating. The pool has not been used for the last year, with the solar heating set to winter mode, and it is autumn here in Melbourne. I added some copper-based algaecide which seems to have limited the output of the black flakes into the pool.

I now suspect thet the black algae may well be lining the rubber tubing of the solar heating. :mellow:

Can this happen? Or is it just dead algae the somehow has been extruded from the tubing? I recall that these black flakes previously appeared in the pool when the pool was shocked with chlorine.

If the tubing has an algae problem, Is it possible to ever remove the algae from the solar tubing, or is it best to get rid of the solar heating tubing altogether?

Many thanks in advance,

Kon

Melbourne