Pool Pump Ran With No Water

Lindean

We have a hayward super pump that was new in 2004. Last fall when we closed down our pool we turned off the wrong switch in our breaker box. Consequently, the humming noise we heard every evening for the next 2 weeks turned out to be our pump! How much damage would this have caused to the pump? Will we need to buy a whole new pump, or just certain parts? I hope someone can help on this issue.

We have a hayward super pump that was new in 2004. Last fall when we closed down our pool we turned off the wrong switch in our breaker box. Consequently, the humming noise we heard every evening for the next 2 weeks turned out to be our pump! How much damage would this have caused to the pump? Will we need to buy a whole new pump, or just certain parts? I hope someone can help on this issue.

If the motor still runs which they usally do. You will need

spx2600 seal plate

ps201 pump seal or spx1600z2

impeller according to horsepower.

If you have a manual the parts numbers are listed if not check here

http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps_SUPERPUMP_poolstor.htm or

haywardnet.com

your model number is on a sticker located on the side of the pump near were the top pipe

it will be a sp or spx then numbers like spx2607x10

Not to take anything away from Five five eight, but I'm lazy... And cheap! I agree with the seal and any associated o rings etc. I would take it apart, then take all that (seal plate and impeller) to the pool store and see if the parts have been heat deformed. I can probably count the number of times that I've worked on a super pump on my fingers and toes. So in no way have i seen alot of these pumps. I see primarily sta-rite pumps, and haven't had to change a seal plate due to a pump running dry (they are pretty bullet proof). Thats not to say it could never happen. Diffuser or maybe and impeller yes, I've seen that. Perhaps Super pumps are more vulnerable to the heat of running dry. Seems like an expensive mistake.

Note: If the pool store can't tell if the parts are bad then hopefully you have another pool store you can go to. Or take pictures and post them and let Five five eight look at them.

I would also check the threaded connections of the inlet and outlet of the pump. Those seem to warp from heat before anything else, causing alot of priming problems, and air in your pump. Also, if your pool has a 3 way valve in front of the pump, the valve lid and o-ring will also need to be changed. The heat from running your pump dry is a real bummer.

If the motor still runs which they usally do. You will need

spx2600 seal plate

ps201 pump seal or spx1600z2

impeller according to horsepower.

If you have a manual the parts numbers are listed if not check here

http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps_SUPERPUMP_poolstor.htm or

haywardnet.com

your model number is on a sticker located on the side of the pump near were the top pipe

it will be a sp or spx then numbers like spx2607x10

Would'nt it be less expensive to by a whole new pump?