How Much Chlorine And When To Add?

Makmomom

Waterbear,

I am using Nature2 with Dichlor only. No MPS. I would like to keep the Free Chlorine level between 3 and 5PPM. How do I accomplish this? I would like to shock the tub (480 gallons with Ozonator) once a week and add in the dichlor after I use it each time. But, it seems like the chlorine level drops fast. I just added 3 tsps 2 nights ago and got the Free Chlorine to 3 PPM. I did not use the tub and now, less than 48 hours later, the Chlorine level is back to 0PPM. I had to add in more Dichlor to raise the level of chlorine before I could use it tonight. I don't want to have to add in chlorine each time before I use it.

I don't mind adding it in each time I get out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Waterbear,

I am using Nature2 with Dichlor only. No MPS. I would like to keep the Free Chlorine level between 3 and 5PPM. How do I accomplish this? I would like to shock the tub (480 gallons with Ozonator) once a week and add in the dichlor after I use it each time. But, it seems like the chlorine level drops fast. I just added 3 tsps 2 nights ago and got the Free Chlorine to 3 PPM. I did not use the tub and now, less than 48 hours later, the Chlorine level is back to 0PPM. I had to add in more Dichlor to raise the level of chlorine before I could use it tonight. I don't want to have to add in chlorine each time before I use it.

I don't mind adding it in each time I get out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Just follow the directions on the Nature2 website. You can use dichlor instead of MPS. I belive its .5 teaspoon every time you get in. Go to the website and do the math for your spa size.

I use MPS during the week. If I have many ppl in the spa I use .5 teaspoon of dichlor aswell as the MPS. Once a week I shock with 1.5 Tablespoon of dichlor. This is with a nature 2 cartrige. You dont have to keep a 3-5ppm... I would keep about 1-2 since nature 2 only needs and reccomends .5 to .7ppm.

Why are you using so much chlorine with nature2? its suppost to help you get away from using so much. You could just use about 5ppm and get rid off the nature2 cartrige.

Just follow the directions on the Nature2 website. You can use dichlor instead of MPS. I belive its .5 teaspoon every time you get in. Go to the website and do the math for your spa size.

I use MPS during the week. If I have many ppl in the spa I use .5 teaspoon of dichlor aswell as the MPS. Once a week I shock with 1.5 Tablespoon of dichlor. This is with a nature 2 cartrige. You dont have to keep a 3-5ppm... I would keep about 1-2 since nature 2 only needs and reccomends .5 to .7ppm.

Why are you using so much chlorine with nature2? its suppost to help you get away from using so much. You could just use about 5ppm and get rid off the nature2 cartrige.

If you have a Dimension One just use a teaspoon once a week. Chlorine is burned off fast due to the heat. I you have a Vision N2, you'll be in shape. If you're using the N2 stick, it doesn't do much anyway.

Chlorine does burn off quickly. You cannot add dichlor regularly enough to maintain a residual. That is one of the downsides.

Contrary to the opinions of others, the Nature2 sticks with MPS or chlorine, used properly are effective. In fact, the sustem is one of the few EPA approved systems in the industry.

Chlorine does burn off quickly. You cannot add dichlor regularly enough to maintain a residual. That is one of the downsides.

Contrary to the opinions of others, the Nature2 sticks with MPS or chlorine, used properly are effective. In fact, the sustem is one of the few EPA approved systems in the industry.

Yepp.. I use it and havent had a problem. Water is always crystal clear and no odor. No its not as powefull of Chlorine but the whole reason tor using it is because its NOT.

I am very allergic to Chlorine, thats why I use it. Less Chlorine = Better.

I keep a .5-1 residual of Chlorine.

Why are using all those sanitizers? You have an Ozonator, thats doing 80% of the sanitizing- Dichlor which is doing 75% and a Nature 2 stick that is now worthless because of all the dichlor in the tub. Stop the dichlor, get a new Nature 2 and that will do 50% of the sanitizing (you are still doing more than needed). Using MPS will disable the cell wall of the bacteria and let the Nature 2 and ozone kill the bacteria more effectively. The only time you need dichlor is after heavy-heavy use and you don't know the status of the bathers( clean or dirty) or using fragrances (which is not recommended), then you only use a tbsp. Less is more with hot tub chemicals.

I'll repost the info I previously put under the thread "Rash". Hope it clears things up for you. Here it is:

We just got a new shipment of Nature 2 spa cartridges in and I noticed the packaging was different and had a 2006 copyright on it so I opened one and read the instruction pamphlet, also copyright 2006!....low and behold it it NO LONGER a chlorine free system or LOW CHLORINE system!

The "Old recipe" (which is STILL on their website) was :

1) on each refill add 1 teaspoon dichlor for each 250 gal water (this will bring the fc to 2 ppm)

2) before each use add 1 tablespoon MPS per 250 gallons OR 1/3 teaspoon dichlor (this will bring the FC to about .5 ppm)

3) once a week shock with 3 tablespoons MPS per 250 gal, the preferred way OR (in very fine print it says that 1 tablespoon dichlor can be subistituted which will bring the FC to about 6 ppm...hardly shock level!)

4) As needed or if water looks hazy shock with 1 teaspoon dichlor per 250 gal (2 ppm...hardly shock level!)

5) Drain, refill, put in new Nature 2 cartridge and start over every 4 months.

The "New recipe" as of 2006 is:

1) on each refill add 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS dichlor for each 250 gal water (this will bring the fc to about 10 ppm...can anyone say 'shock'?IPB Image)

2) before each use add 1 tablespoon MPS per 250 gallons (1 teaspoon dichlor can be substituted...this will raise the FC 2 ppm!)

3) once a week shock with 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS dichlor per 250 gal, the use of MPS for weekly shocking is no longer even an option! (this will bring the FC to about 10 ppm...standard shock level!)

4) As needed or if water looks hazy shock with 1 TABLESPOON dichlor per 250 gal (6 ppm...Isn't this normal chlorination for a spa?!)

Seems to me that this is pretty much standard spa maintenace on chlorine without a Nature 2 cartridge! (and I wonder if the MPS before each use is really necessary if you are maintaining a FC level of 6 ppm! I think not!) My question is why even bother with the Nature 2 cartridge? This is, IMHO, pretty much an admission on the part of Zodiac that the Nature 2 cartridge does NOTHING for the spa except lighten your wallet!

I'll repost the info I previously put under the thread "Rash". Hope it clears things up for you. Here it is:

We just got a new shipment of Nature 2 spa cartridges in and I noticed the packaging was different and had a 2006 copyright on it so I opened one and read the instruction pamphlet, also copyright 2006!....low and behold it it NO LONGER a chlorine free system or LOW CHLORINE system!

The "Old recipe" (which is STILL on their website) was :

1) on each refill add 1 teaspoon dichlor for each 250 gal water (this will bring the fc to 2 ppm)

2) before each use add 1 tablespoon MPS per 250 gallons OR 1/3 teaspoon dichlor (this will bring the FC to about .5 ppm)

3) once a week shock with 3 tablespoons MPS per 250 gal, the preferred way OR (in very fine print it says that 1 tablespoon dichlor can be subistituted which will bring the FC to about 6 ppm...hardly shock level!)

4) As needed or if water looks hazy shock with 1 teaspoon dichlor per 250 gal (2 ppm...hardly shock level!)

The "New recipe" as of 2006 is:

1) on each refill add 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS dichlor for each 250 gal water (this will bring the fc to about 10 ppm...can anyone say 'shock'?IPB Image)

2) before each use add 1 tablespoon MPS per 250 gallons (1 teaspoon dichlor can be substituted...this will raise the FC 2 ppm!)

3) once a week shock with 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS dichlor per 250 gal, the use of MPS for weekly shocking is no longer even an option! (this will bring the FC to about 10 ppm...standard shock level!)

4) As needed or if water looks hazy shock with 1 TABLESPOON dichlor per 250 gal (6 ppm...Isn't this normal chlorination for a spa?!)

Seems to me that this is pretty much standard spa maintenace on chlorine without a Nature 2 cartridge! (and I wonder if the MPS before each use is really necessary if you are maintaining a FC level of 6 ppm! I think not!) My question is why even bother with the Nature 2 cartridge? This is, IMHO, pretty much an admission on the part of Zodiac that the Nature 2 cartridge does NOTHING for the spa except lighten your wallet!

I use the spa frog and after studying that and listening to what you say it seems the need is un needed as I did maintain a 1 to 2 ppm fc with the stick once a week dosage and no issue. no smell and clear watter. am

I makeing a mistake doing thay with the Spa Frog mineral stick? I use enhanced spa shock as regular shock seemed to leave watter a bit cloudy so the swith to enhanced. No scumball or clarifier but I do have a 24 hour circ pump with cd ozone.

I use the spa frog and after studying that and listening to what you say it seems the need is un needed as I did maintain a 1 to 2 ppm fc with the stick once a week dosage and no issue. no smell and clear watter. am

I makeing a mistake doing thay with the Spa Frog mineral stick? I use enhanced spa shock as regular shock seemed to leave watter a bit cloudy so the swith to enhanced. No scumball or clarifier but I do have a 24 hour circ pump with cd ozone.

Spa Frog has recently changed their website also. They used to say that their system was a silver, zinc, and limestone. They said the silver was bacteriostatic (it is with a cavet) and that the zinc was algaestatic. Now they just say siver and limestone and no longer claim that the zinc helps prevent algae, nor do they even list it. Limestone is another name for calcium carbonate. We also know calcium carbonate as the scale that forms in our spas from hard water and high calcium levels. To the best of my knowledge calcium carbonate does not in any way help sanitize the water! Silver is bacteriostatic but needs a very long contact time because it has very slow kill times. In a spa or pool you need enough residual sanitizer to provide quick kill times of water borne pathogens. IMHO, mineral systems do not provide safe water when used at reduced sanitizer levels but are very effective in draining your wallet.