Hotsprings 20amp/30amp Panel

artsd

I am looking at a used Hotsprings classic that does not come with the normal panel that Hotsprings ships with it (20amp/30amp). The dealer wants $400 for it. I can find them on eBay for $220 - $350.

What is so special about this box. Can you do the same thing with a panel box + 20amp gfci + 30amp gfci. I think this can be put together from parts for less that $220 (certainly less than the $400 the dealer wants).

I will be hiring an electrician do the wiring.

I am looking at a used Hotsprings classic that does not come with the normal panel that Hotsprings ships with it (20amp/30amp). The dealer wants $400 for it. I can find them on eBay for $220 - $350.

What is so special about this box. Can you do the same thing with a panel box + 20amp gfci + 30amp gfci. I think this can be put together from parts for less that $220 (certainly less than the $400 the dealer wants).

You can use any box with any 30 and 20 amps GFCI breakers from home centers or electrical supply houses. There is nothing special about the one from Hot spring.

That's what I did. I got the breakers and box separately and assembled it. The breakers were hard to find locally, but I found some. I think it cost around $250.00 altogether.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 2000 Hot Springs Classic and it will be delivered tomorrow. My electrician has wired spas before but I think he always used the standard single 50 amp gfci that most spas use (you can buy those pre-made spa panels from Home Depot for $70).

I would like to make this as easy for my electrician as possible so would you be able to provide a parts list?

I don't know anything about electricity so these questions are probably silly to those who do.

Obviously I know I need a panel big enough for the 2 gfci. But I don't know the specifics about the gfci (120 or 240 volts, single pole, double pole, etc).

Thanks a million.

the breakers are both double pole. they used to use g.e. but now use cutler hammer. here are a couple of links. the first is the wiring schematic thru hss's website. the second is to a breaker wholesaler found thru googling the number on the side of the cut ham 20a breaker. notice that they charge $120 for a reconditioned version.

http://www.hotspring.com/cgi-bin/download....instruct_00.pdf

http://www.baybreakersonline.com/cutlerhammer/ch220gf.html

• 3 months later...

ain question ! Was this panel part of the hot springs hot tub sent assembled inside the hot tub or was this an accessory panel that came with the hot tub or bought as an extra. If it came as an integral part of the hot tub mounted within the hot tub then it would be a violation of installation instructions as required in article 110.3.B. 000-965 braindumps If this was an accessory panel then you may install a 50 amp branch circuit to the hot tub to serve the inline heater and a 20 amp 120 volt branch circiut to serve the motor as two separate branch circuits. Remember this hot tub must have a form of disconnect in sight of that hot tub. A 20 amp single pole switch would do the trick but often times a 4 circuit weather proof panel installed insight of and not more than 50 feet but at least 5 feet from the hot tub may be used installing a 50 amp GFI double pole breaker and two 6 awg copper hots and a neutral and a 10 awg copper grounding wire feeding the 4 circuit subpanel insight of the hot tub then installing the two circuits one for the in line heater and one for the motor. JN0-140 braindumps Hope this gives you come ideas.

If this 2000 Classic is a convertible model then you need the following:

a single pole 20 amp GFI

a double pole 30 amp GFI

The 20 amp runs the spa and the 30 amp runs the heater only.

a 50 amp Non-GFI in the main panel feeding the 2 GFI's in the subpanel.

They are correct the subpanel needs to be at least 5 feet away from the water line of the spa and within site.

You would use 2 double pole breakers if the spa was made as a 220V and not a convertible. The serial number would start FH if it was made 220V. If it's convertible it starts with F only - no H.

HotSpring does not recommend using a 50 amp branch circuit.

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the 2000 Hot Springs Classic and it will be delivered tomorrow. My electrician has wired spas before but I think he always used the standard single 50 amp gfci that most spas use (you can buy those pre-made spa panels from Home Depot for $70).

I would like to make this as easy for my electrician as possible so would you be able to provide a parts list?

I don't know anything about electricity so these questions are probably silly to those who do.

Obviously I know I need a panel big enough for the 2 gfci. But I don't know the specifics about the gfci (120 or 240 volts, single pole, double pole, etc).

Thanks a million.

Peteyboy is correct.

I just wanted to comment, that the $70-$90 hot tub subpanels sold through Home Depot are a 2-pole 50amp GFCI. This will not work with the Hot Spring hot tubs. Hot Spring has designed their system to run the heater on a separate circuit. The great thing about this in the winter, is that if your heater should ever fail (and happen to ground fault) it will only trigger it's own GFCI. The rest of the spa can still circulate and retain power from the second circuit. :)

I've seen some spas saved by this wiring difference. For folks who don't use/attend to their spa daily in the winter months, this can be crucial to the spa's health should you ever have a heater failure.

• 2 years later...

hi not sure where or how we reply, but I do have a hot spring electrical sub panel that I need to sell. It has the 20 amp / 30 amp gfci and about 20 feet of electrical cord---contact me if anyone could use this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

You are correct the 50 amp GFI panel home depot will not work on a walkins hot tub control panel! That hot springs has for control panels! But if you have one laying around like I do you can take that 50 amp breaker out and go to a local electrical supply place and buy a double pole 30 amp GFI for 120.00 and a double pole 20 amp GFI for around 120.00 and it will fit in that panel. I don't believe you can buy those empty panels separate. The reason I have empty ones is because it is cheaper to buy the whole panel with the 50 amp GFI in it then to buy the 50 amp separate! I have been repairing hot tubs and moving hot tubs for over 30 years!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bought a 2021 hot spring relay and the breaker box came with a 50amp gfci instead of 20 and a 30 and the hot tub is not working control panel inside the hot tub blinking red light electrician said gunna try and swap to a 30 and 20 amp breaker instead the one 50’amp gfci 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking for some advice on wiring my Hotspring Vanguard V. I have a 50AMP in my main panel going to my sub with a 20A GFI and a 30A GFI. The install manual calls for #8 AWG from the 50A to the L1 and L2 in the sub with ground being #10 AWG and neutral being #8 AWG again. I would think that you would need #6 AWG from the panel to the sub panel since its a 50A. Is that 3* AWG going to cut it. I'm running it all in 1 1/4" conduit, but I need to check local code since they might need 1 1/2" conduit. vidmate online  saveinsta

#8 is fine for runs less than 100ft to the subpanel. There is no "code" on conduit size, there are charts on what will fit. There is a code on degrees of bend between pull boxes, which I think is 270 degrees (3-90 degree elbows). Your spa likely has 1" conduit fittings. Most spa wiring is 1" conduit.

• Like 1

Conduit fill percentage is what you need to worry about for code compliance. With 1 1/4" conduit and 7 #6 THHN wires, you are less than 25% full. With 1" conduit, you are less than 50% full. PVC schedule 40 is a bit smaller ID than EMT but still are within the percentages I gave. All of those percentages are code compliant.

Technically, #8 wire is fine, it's rated at 55A @90C for 100'. #6 gives you a bit more capacity margin.  I went with #6 when I wired my Spa Panel and #6 to the Spa Pack. My run was 60'. Use what you are comfortable with.