Polaris 280 Booster Pump Problem

Mario

I have a Polaris 280 with a booster pump. The system is about 6 years old. The pump has begun leaking from around a shaft that runs from the pump to the front housing (where the inlet and outlet are located). I believe that there must be a seal in that area. Does anyone have any experience working on these pumps or replacing this seal? I would like to fix this my self if possible.

Thanks,

Mario

Go to your pool store and buy a seal and a 1" PVC coupling. Also some household silicone if you don't already have some. Take the pump apart, (6 nuts) and spin off the impeller. Next, unscrew the four bolts that hold the seal plate to the motor and remove, now you will see the old seal and which way it is installed. Part of the seal (ceramic) is pushed in to the impeller.

Turn the seal plate over, wet side down, take a screwdriver and knock the old seal out. Also remove the ceramic from the impeller, see pic.

IMG_0194.jpg

run a bead of silicone around the shoulder of the new seal.

IMG_0195.jpg

Press the new seal into the seal plate with the coupling you got (tap it in with a hammer) remember, tap! Install until the shoulder touches the seal plate.

IMG_0196.jpg

Inspect the impeller for heat damage, If it looks like anything but the picture below, It may be heat damaged and might leak. Note: The reason the pump is leaking in the first place is because It ran dry for whatever reason and when it does that the impeller heats up and thats where you get the heat damage and eventually the leak from. You may want to take the pump apart first and see if you need a impeller before you go and get parts.

Put very little lube on the rubber of the ceramic and press it into the impeller with your finger. Note: put something in between the ceramic and your finger. You don't want to touch the ceramic or the seal face with your bare finger.

IMG_0190.jpg

Reassemble. remembering to make sure the thin o ring is in place. and all the old silicone is off. You won't need silicone to assemble. (Silicone is used at the factory to hold the o ring in place as it rumbles down the assembly line.)