Pool Pump Installation

We have a Hayward Super Pump 1HP and the motor has died. We think we are just going to buy a whole new pump because we aren't sure about the seals, etc as renters have previously been in the house and we aren't sure how the system has been treated and we've already replaced just the motor once before.

My question is - is it hard to install the new pump? We are planning on doing it ourselves. It looks like it is just making sure the plumbing is connected and sealed correctly at the sites of water entry and exit but never having done it before I can't be sure.

Thanks.

Dude,

Changing the pump is easier if you're not mechanically inclined. You are correct in assuming that the pvc connections (1 1/2" scedule 40 male adapters) are sealed & glued properly. Changing the motor requires removing the wires (power off at the breaker first!), unbolting the motor mounting plate (4 x 9/16" bolts), removen the diffuser (note where it says "top") grab the shaft (rear of motor)with 7/16" open end wrench at the flat spots on the shaft, spin off the impeller (may require channel lock pliers to break loose), then you can remove/replace the seal along with your motor and reassemble. It's not rocket science but also not idiotproof. ;)

Dude,

Changing the pump is easier if you're not mechanically inclined. You are correct in assuming that the pvc connections (1 1/2" scedule 40 male adapters) are sealed & glued properly. Changing the motor requires removing the wires (power off at the breaker first!), unbolting the motor mounting plate (4 x 9/16" bolts), removen the diffuser (note where it says "top") grab the shaft (rear of motor)with 7/16" open end wrench at the flat spots on the shaft, spin off the impeller (may require channel lock pliers to break loose), then you can remove/replace the seal along with your motor and reassemble. It's not rocket science but also not idiotproof. ;)

Option # 2- Have your neighbor call the cops and complain about the noise. They'll contact your landlord and he'll do it!

Harsh? Me? please. Just trying to emphasize the fact that marks like that can, in some cases, make priming difficult. Of the ones that I can't get by hand, Pool tool makes a tool that grabs the impeller buy a vane. Don't remember how much it was, But if I have one, they must be inexpensive.

its called in impellar wrench, and they are about 20 to 30 bucks thru distribution. pool tool makes one for the closed faced impellars that has the blue handle and a gold handled one for open faced impellars. Also, i wouldn't use a male adapter. I would use a schedule 80 cpvc (especially if you have an older heater) nipple with joint stick for threaded connections.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Supposing you were a stupid person such as one that did not use one of those wrenches and snapped the whole damn thing, would you recommend a Hayward again?

Thanks,

Drew.

its called in impellar wrench, and they are about 20 to 30 bucks thru distribution. pool tool makes one for the closed faced impellars that has the blue handle and a gold handled one for open faced impellars. Also, i wouldn't use a male adapter. I would use a schedule 80 cpvc (especially if you have an older heater) nipple with joint stick for threaded connections.

Good luck.