Question For Those With Decks Around Hot Tub

gowyn

Just wondering how you folks with tubs built into decks allow for access to the pumps etc?

We have an Arctic with doors on all four sides and plan on putting it partially into a deck (one side) so I'm just not sure how to allow access to the doors on the deck side.

Thoughts?

Mine came out really nice. There was a piece of crap poorly built deck that I cut a big notch out of the corner. Since I'm in northern New Hampshire and suseptable to frost heaves, I had someone come in and dig down the topsoil to clay. It was about 18 inches and 12 foot square. Then he backfilled with gravel and compacted every so often. He finished off with 1/2in minus crushed stone. The reason I mensioned this was to let you know that I had a certain height in mind for the new deck.

I built the new deck to be as long as my tub on one side and the other side only half way, so my tub sticks out four feet farther than the end of my deck. I also only came within two feet of the tub on those sides and built a 45degree fillet that came up to an inch and a half from the corner of the tub. Now the fun part. I framed a panel on each of the gaps, a long one and a short one. I then bolted the frame to the header of the deck. I bought post blocks and set them on the solid pack and used notched 4 x 4 post to hold up the cantelever 2 foot panels.

Oh, I have an Arctic Tundra, by the way. I have a work in progress picture but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

I used CorrectDeck with hidden fasteners and picture framed the cedar with mahogany. I wish I had pictures of the panels, but what I explained will work. I used a half inch diameter bolt every foot.

Picture 1 and 2 are framing of the deck, 3 and 4 are the deck without the panels.

P9050028.jpg

P9050032.jpg

P9280033.jpg

P9280034.jpg

• 7 months later...
Just wondering how you folks with tubs built into decks allow for access to the pumps etc?

We have an Arctic with doors on all four sides and plan on putting it partially into a deck (one side) so I'm just not sure how to allow access to the doors on the deck side.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I just finished my deck, next to the four season room I have been building (it's not done though either!), just in time before the bad weather struck. Have not stained it yet, but have a raised full length platform/stairs with built in lights, that is sitting in a recessed portion on the entry side to my partially below deck level Vanguard. Built as 3 removable sections that just lift out as access is needed. Only really need to remove the top section to access anything in the electronics area. I liked the way it turned out. :) Can send pictures this weekend if needed. Randy