iron out?

Guest Cody

We filled our pool with our well water and it was a rusty color, which we (and the neighbors) knew was rusty water. So, taking the advice of others, I ended up using approx 5 lbs of "super iron out"...water went totally clear. Actually it was clearer than bottled water and it happened instantly...after waiting 15 mins for each pound. I then checked ph etc..all was well (no pun intended)...the next day still looked good so it was time to shock. It was then that things went bad, the water turned back to rust.....so what do I do now? Its one of those cheap wal-mart 18' x 48" ....Also, I went to iron outs website and I now see that they "do not recommend iron out for pools..can we even use this water now that I might have added something I should not have? Will the iron out cause skin irritations.

thanks in advance

Newbie to the pool world and chemistry that goes with it

Go to your nearest pool store and get some Metal Out (stain and scale preventer). The chorine has reacted with the metals in the water and brought the iron out of suspension. Metal out will take care of it. You may be better off to drain the water out, refill and this time use the Metal Out as you are filling to take care of the problem BEFORE you shock.

Guest Jennifer Miller

Can someone please answer my question?

I just added 4 lbs of Iron Out to my pool to suspend the iron in the water. I am waiting for it to turn clear. After I vacuum the bottom, how much Metal Out should I put in the water?

How long should I wait to shock it or cholerinate it?

Guest John McCall

I have a 38,000 gallon pool and use Iron out all the time. I add 5 lbs at a time and then the other 5lbs. Wait 24 hours then backwash your filter if using a sand filter or change your paper filter then add Metal Out at 1 quart per 10,000 gallons and your metal should be gone within 24 hours. Now your biggest issue is every time you add water you will have to keep on top of the Metal Out. Also DO NOT use a chlorine based shock treatment with well water...ever. ONLY use a lithiam or chlorine free shock then use a super souluable to bring your chlorine levels to where they should be... Also if you have a pool dealer around, they should offer free water testing and help you determine what you need after a free computer test of your water. Hope this was helpful.

God Bless,

John McCall

Wakefield, NE.

Guest new to brown pool

Well this is our first pool, and I am experiencing the same problem. The problem however with the metal out is the same as I am having with a product called Clear It. It takes the particles out of suspension, so the filter can catch them. The other product called Ultra Secure is supposed to release them to the bottom of the pool.

The problem is the Ultra Secure got rid of the larger particles but the water was still brownish and the filter was clean. The cheap vacuum doesn't pick up the fine particles, and the Clear it REALLY does release the iron, HOWEVER, the filter and pump are too small to deal with it. I am cleaning my filter about 2-3 times a day and each time it is disgustinly dirty.

I think the only solution is to drain the water out and bring in a water truck with town water. The pool store just keeps wanting to sell me more products. The Chlorine made the water worse. My ph is neutral, my chlorine is 4.0, and my pool is diarreah brown.

My pool gets a green stain at and below the water level all the way around. This is an inground concrete type pool. I use Rainforest Blue and follow directions regarding amounts for my 30,000 pool.

Could these green stains (not slimy like algae) be the result of iron?

• 1 year later...

I do not think it is true that you cannot use chlorine with well water ever. You just have to make sure and get a good metal sesquesterant into the water. I use the hth brand Metal Control from Walmart, and it works fine unless I forget the maintenance dose about once a week, then it turns a green color, and I get a line on the water line too. But all I have to do is add the Metal Control, and all is pretty and blue again.

Upon filling I had a green tint to the water, shocked the water and got tea colored water. I am not on well water, but I do have a lot of iron in the water. There are people who are on well water here who do not have metals in the water at all.

• 12 years later...