Silkbalance

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been crusing the web and came across this site http://www.silkbalance.com/ does anyone know anything about this?

We evaluated it in our stores for about 4 months and decided to start selling it 2 weeks ago. I've already gotten 18 customers using it and so far, so good. The HotSpring Grandee at my store is set up on it and the water is beautiful. I got to work early and sat in it while enjoying a cup of coffee and now I'm fixin' to go hop back in and enjoy some Shiner Bock while I celebrate a great selling day!

Terminator

I've been crusing the web and came across this site http://www.silkbalance.com/ does anyone know anything about this?

We evaluated it in our stores for about 4 months and decided to start selling it 2 weeks ago. I've already gotten 18 customers using it and so far, so good. The HotSpring Grandee at my store is set up on it and the water is beautiful. I got to work early and sat in it while enjoying a cup of coffee and now I'm fixin' to go hop back in and enjoy some Shiner Bock while I celebrate a great selling day!

Terminator

So do I really never have to test the water again?? It just sounds too good to be true???? I have a jetsetter and its really easy to maintain. Do I still have to use the mineral stick, chlorine and shock?

After going to their website, I realize they've kind of morphed their target market. They used to say they were the only thing you had to put in the water including any kind of sanitizer. When I asked them what the EPA thought of that, they only said their AquaGard product has been used in Europe for years. We passed.

It looks like they're are now fashioning themselves as an "everything besides the santizer" solution. Based on what I read, I'm sure it works as intended. Reminds me a lot of ecoONE. But you still need to use sanitizer and unless Silk Balance got a lot cheaper in the two years since we spoke (it used to retail for $120ish for 3 month program), IMHO it's overpriced for what it does.

After going to their website, I realize they've kind of morphed their target market. They used to say they were the only thing you had to put in the water including any kind of sanitizer. When I asked them what the EPA thought of that, they only said their AquaGard product has been used in Europe for years. We passed.

It looks like they're are now fashioning themselves as an "everything besides the santizer" solution. Based on what I read, I'm sure it works as intended. Reminds me a lot of ecoONE. But you still need to use sanitizer and unless Silk Balance got a lot cheaper in the two years since we spoke (it used to retail for $120ish for 3 month program), IMHO it's overpriced for what it does.

Wow, I was quoted $169, but on my small tub it should last 6 months?

Wow, I was quoted $169, but on my small tub it should last 6 months?

We recommend 4 oz. a week. But, you can reduce that on your Jetsetter.

We too have many customers using it.

Based on the fact that it removes or lowers the mineral content including calcium, I suspect SilkBalance is a phosphate buffer. That would stabilize the pH. It also appears to have surfactants which lower water's surface tension which they claim makes it harder for biofilms to form. They do not supply a sanitizer with it so you'd still need to use one and it's not clear that their product contains anything to oxidize bather waste.

Based on the fact that it removes or lowers the mineral content including calcium, I suspect SilkBalance is a phosphate buffer. That would stabilize the pH. It also appears to have surfactants which lower water's surface tension which they claim makes it harder for biofilms to form. They do not supply a sanitizer with it so you'd still need to use one and it's not clear that their product contains anything to oxidize bather waste.

You have to add sanitizer every time you use the tub (maybe every other time with Nature2 and ozone) and oxidize weekly.

You have to add sanitizer every time you use the tub (maybe every other time with Nature2 and ozone) and oxidize weekly.

Okay I just bought a bottle, I will try it out for a full month and let everyone know what I think/my experiences

Thanks!

hottublady

Okay I just bought a bottle, I will try it out for a full month and let everyone know what I think/my experiences

Thanks!

hottublady

Well I went and bought a bottle that day. So far so good! I didn't have to add any start up chemicals which is nice, and already I do feel that the water is more "Silky" I guess thats why they call it Silk Balance. I know its only been a couple of days so I will let you know more down the road on how it works out!

Hottublady

• 2 months later...

Okay! I just received a message regarding this thread. Well I have been using Silkbalance for almost 3 months. So far so good. I haven't tested my water since I've been on the program, which now I am curious. I was told by the rep I wouldn't have to... But now I want too and I will post and let everyone know! I do feel the water to be "silky" and I still have to add shock when I get out and Chlorine once a week. If anyone has any questions let me know!

• 4 months later...
Okay! I just received a message regarding this thread. Well I have been using Silkbalance for almost 3 months. So far so good. I haven't tested my water since I've been on the program, which now I am curious. I was told by the rep I wouldn't have to... But now I want too and I will post and let everyone know! I do feel the water to be "silky" and I still have to add shock when I get out and Chlorine once a week. If anyone has any questions let me know!

Just ran accross this, so how's it going with this system?? Still using it? What are the + or -, Thanks!

Just ran accross this, so how's it going with this system?? Still using it? What are the + or -, Thanks!

Hi Rphman,

Still using it=) I do notice a "silky" feeling in the water. It leaves my skin nice and soft after being in the tub as well. I still put in a dash of chlorine once a week and shock 2-3 times a week depending on how often I use it. I did have my tub drained for a couple of months in the summer so I am still on my original bottle. I like that I don't have to test my water, and it's always sparkling clean-(it was the same when I wasn't on it too) The dealer told me it cleans out the piping and doesn't allow built up calcium in the pluming lines so I like that. It does make your filters dirty when you first put it in there because it takes all the impurities out of the water. So I just clean them after its been in my tub for 3 days. But besides that I really like it and when this bottle runs out I will buy another!

Happy Soaking,

hottublady

• 5 weeks later...
Any update?

I am fascinated by the stuff and would like to understand it better...

Still using it and love it! It's even better now that I have bought a shock/chlorine combo and just hit it once a week along with the once a week silkbalance. It doesn't get any easier! Its definetly worth a try out, on any tub!

Any update?

I am fascinated by the stuff and would like to understand it better...

Still using it and love it! It's even better now that I have bought a shock/chlorine combo and just hit it once a week along with the once a week silkbalance. It doesn't get any easier! Its definetly worth a try out, on any tub!

Best for spas with circ pump and ozone.

Best for spas with circ pump and ozone.

Agreed. We had the Silk Balance CEO/Owner come visit us once. He specifically stated it works best with ozone and 24 hour continuous circulation. Not to say it won't work elsewhere, however they recommend different dosages and such.

We've been selling it since about April or so I believe. Our customers who have used it are coming back to buy more. So it seems to be doing well. I keep a Vanguard filled in our showroom which I run on Silk Balance. Definitely easier to keep it looking great compared to my other spas which are the typical ozone + chlorine + Nature 2.

Sort of subtle, but the sides of the spa have a "squeaky clean" feeling to them all the time.

We're having customers use it with Ozone, Nature 2, and about 1 tsp of Chlorine per person after each use (no weekly shock dose). So far it seems to be working very well for folks.

It makes sense that the system works better with ozone because without ozone and with the very low level of oxidizer/sanitizer used, there would be a buildup of urea and ammonia from sweat and urine. Even with ozone, however, I don't see where the Silkbalance is sanitizing the water in between the small chlorine dosing.

• 6 months later...

Update: Still using Silkbalnce and loving it!! Got my neighbor on it and he has an Artic spa and it's working well with that spa too. Also my dealer has an offer that if I write a little something about how much I love the product and take a picture of me along side of my spa with the silk balnce I will get a coupon for a free bottle. So I'm planning on doing that. I have messed around with how much I use and got it down to about 2oz a week so a bottle lasts me roughly about 6-7 months. So I figured it to be about $24 a month for a 7 month supply which is not bad at all. But what I love most about it on top of not having to test is the way my skin feels when I get out. The only down fall I think is after you drain and refill and put in your silk balance you have to wash the filters in a couple of days but thats it! Let me know if anyone has any questions!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question for the manufacturers and retailers of Silk Balance.

What is Silk Balance? What are the actual ingredients?

You can contact Silkbalance on their website to ask a question.=)

No they need an msds. When a parent takes a kid to the E.R. Because they drank the stuff, does the doc use the online inquiry form? Nobody seems to know what's in here.

Where else would you get the msds sheet if not directly from the manufacture? I asked my dealer what was in there and they said the maker of silkbalance didn't want to make public the ingredients because then other companies could copy them. All I know is that it works for me. I also noticed when shopping for hot tub or house chemicals that if something is not a "sanitizer" they usually don't have the ingredients posted on them. Like a lot of the SeaKlear products don't have the ingredients posted either.

But if you find out let us know!=)