How Do I Get Rid Of Soap Bubbles In Spa?

I had several friends over and someone did not head my warning about running their suit through the washer with no soap before getting in and I have soap bubbles. How can I get rid of them without draining the spa?

There are several foam down products available. Use them sparingly to the point of diluting them with water 50/50 in a spray bottle.

I had several friends over and someone did not head my warning about running their suit through the washer with no soap before getting in and I have soap bubbles. How can I get rid of them without draining the spa?

There are several foam down products available. Use them sparingly to the point of diluting them with water 50/50 in a spray bottle.

Thanks, then I just spray the mixure into the tub when the jets are on?

Turn the jets on and let it get foamy...then spray it right on the foam.

Turn the jets on and let it get foamy...then spray it right on the foam.

Foam is not always due to soap. I've had foaming and I do all the right things in terms suits & soap, and even have an outdoor shower that I use before entering the spa. I believe that chem balance & TDS can drive excessive foaming, as I've been able to make adjustments and completely correct it. Richard ("chem geek") often posts on the water chemistry board and is a great source.

The foam reducers work great & instantly but they only work for a short time.

A very good, but tedious, thing to do is let your tub foam up, then scoop out the foam. This does take awhile, but it works.

When I get foam, I run the jets, with air, and scoop the foam off with a plastic dust pan. It may take up to a half an hour of scooping, but it has always taken care of the foam for me.

Dave

My SPA guy tells me to keep TA in the 120-150 range, and PH balanced, and I will have no problem with suds. You know what? For me, he was right! I used to keep TA in that 70-100 range and would get the suds so bad that I wouldnt even use the air jets. Now my spa bubbles, when the jets with air are on, but the bubbles immediately go away.

My SPA guy tells me to keep TA in the 120-150 range, and PH balanced, and I will have no problem with suds. You know what? For me, he was right! I used to keep TA in that 70-100 range and would get the suds so bad that I wouldnt even use the air jets. Now my spa bubbles, when the jets with air are on, but the bubbles immediately go away.

My TA is pretty much in that range too. My soap bubbles are a lot better, I am just scooping them out when I go in and they are almost gone

Normally, it's the Calcium Hardness (CH) that needs to be in the 100-150 ppm range to avoid too much foaming. This is the first I've heard of the TA having that effect. The downside to the higher TA is that the pH will tend to rise more quickly.

Richard

Normally, it's the Calcium Hardness (CH) that needs to be in the 100-150 ppm range to avoid too much foaming. This is the first I've heard of the TA having that effect. The downside to the higher TA is that the pH will tend to rise more quickly.

Richard

Yes, you are true on that. I do keep an eye on PH. I've always kept CH in that range, and still got the foam, prior to adjusting TA up. Seems to do the trick for me now.

• 11 years later...

We think someone put detergent in our condo hot tub (kids jumping the fence is most likely).  Bubbles everywhere—-many bubbles.  Just like a giant bubble bath.  We’ve had the pool service out 3 times and they can’t seem to get rid of the soap foam.  Any suggestions?  They’ve supposedly drained it and cleaned,etc. but still many, many soap bubbles. Thanks. 

On 3/7/2009 at 5:43 AM, Soonerdal said:

I worked in the soap and detergent industry for 4 decades as a chemist.  It may sound gross, but fats and fatty acids from skin produce SOAP, absolutely will happen.

1. No swimsuits allowed !!!  Seriously.

2. Buy a container of silicone antifoam and add a few drops; drain/change the water at least 3 times a year.

No skinny dipping3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had the exact same problem. 1 or 2 people got in with bathing suits that were washed in soap/detergent and not very thoroughly rinsed. Caused a ton of foam in a 434gal (1643L) 3-week-old Bullfrog A7, and solved the foaming without having to dump and replace the water.

The Bullfrog Owner's Manual says defoamer product only works temporarily (I tested and it's true, only lasts a few days tops), and it says that only super chlorination (aka chlorine shock) will destroy the soap agents. The amount of chlorine needed to super-chlorinate depends on your cyanuric acid level, and best case (with CYA levels between 0 and ~30) is 10ppm FC. Get some AquaChek test strips that show Stabilizer (CYA) levels, go to https://app.poolcalculator.com/, enter in all your numbers, then scroll to the bottom to see the Shock amount needed. Maintain or exceed that shock FC ppm such that you still test that number after at least 4 hours later.