Sta-rite Sr333 Heater Does Not Start

avlcat

Well, my 6-years old Sta-Rite heater failed today. When I start the system the heater display says Ad0; then if I press Spa On or Pool On button it says 5f1; then 180 and 'r 9'; then finally goes blank. The heater motor or fan does not try to start at all. The water flow and gas pressure are fine. No Service Heater lite (or any other outside lights) are on.

I am looking for help here. Anybody can tell me what these codes could mean? Unfortunately the owner manual does not explain codes and I cannot get hold of service manual.

Also do you know if service manual for Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater is available for download (I surely checked the pentair.com web site and they only have owner manuals).

I'll appreciate any help here. Thanks a lot!

Four screws hold the covers on the heater, then look under the top black disk like bezel you'll see two clips that hold the bezel down, pull the clips , you should be able to turn the disk over and expose the circuit board. Now try to light the heater and look for trouble lights. Each light is labeled with a abbreviation of the problem area.

Post what you find.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same symptoms. 180 then r9. Then, lots of leds come on, and then all goes dark. No blower, no ignition, no nothing.

I was able to pull the four screws off and pull the board out and look at the back as it fires. All of the red diagnostic leds came on (and a few green ones) for about a second, and then they all went black.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-batate

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the same symptoms. 180 then r9. Then, lots of leds come on, and then all goes dark. No blower, no ignition, no nothing.

I was able to pull the four screws off and pull the board out and look at the back as it fires. All of the red diagnostic leds came on (and a few green ones) for about a second, and then they all went black.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-batate

FYI r9 is the revision number of the motherboard on the pool heater unit. I just called Sta-rite to ask. As for the other codes it may be easier to just call them between 8am-5pm 1-800-831-7133.

Cheers!

Spyder

• 4 months later...

I am having the same problem. The control panel goes black.

Here are the process steps I have performed and what I see:

1. Turn the unit on at breaker, because display board went black.

2. Once turned on, the display reads 160, then switches to R5, then goes blank.

I order a new control board for replacement and the same thing occurs. 280 bucks later...I am hoping to send it back.

Anyone solve this problem? Does this means its a thermistor? I don't want to play this guessing game. I am going to try Sta-Rite's 1-800 Number.

The displays that you are seeing are normal boot up displays.

Four screws hold the covers on the heater, then look under the top black disk like bezel you'll see two clips that hold the bezel down, pull the clips , you should be able to turn the disk over and expose the circuit board. Now try to light the heater and look for trouble lights. Each light is labeled with a abbreviation of the problem area.

Post what you find.

The displays that you are seeing are normal boot up displays.

Post what you find.

Aslo you will get these codes and your heater will turn off if you don't have any water flowing through it. There is a pressure switch in the heater that prevents it from running (heating) it the unit cannot detect enough water flowing through it.

I hope this helps.

Spyder

Aslo you will get these codes and your heater will turn off if you don't have any water flowing through it.

Spyder

There have been no fault codes listed on this thread. All the numbers everyone has listed are boot up sequence numbers.

I have a slightly different problem. My external "Service Heater" display is illuminated. However, the heater seems to be functioning normally. I took off the cover and looked at the circuit board and the only error code that is lit is "ES1" on LED 8.

The manual says "ES1" is a spare. Not sure if I have a real problem or not.

The heater is approx. 12 years old and has never required service.

I have a slightly different problem. My external "Service Heater" display is illuminated. However, the heater seems to be functioning normally. I took off the cover and looked at the circuit board and the only error code that is lit is "ES1" on LED 8.

The manual says "ES1" is a spare. Not sure if I have a real problem or not.

Make sure the orange wire loop (ES1) is intact. No cuts, nicks, or chew marks. Turn the power to the heater off. Then take the plug (J2) off the board and then plug it back in. If you still get the light, (is it dim by the way?) and it really bugs you, call the service center and maybe they have seen this. I hope it's not a sign of things to come for the board (12 years).

• 8 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=86639:date=Aug 22 2009, 03:28 PM:name=keithgk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (keithgk @ Aug 22 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=86639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a slightly different problem. My external "Service Heater" display is illuminated. However, the heater seems to be functioning normally. I took off the cover and looked at the circuit board and the only error code that is lit is "ES1" on LED 8.

The manual says "ES1" is a spare. Not sure if I have a real problem or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make sure the orange wire loop (ES1) is intact. No cuts, nicks, or chew marks. Turn the power to the heater off. Then take the plug (J2) off the board and then plug it back in. If you still get the light, (is it dim by the way?) and it really bugs you, call the service center and maybe they have seen this. I hope it's not a sign of things to come for the board (12 years).

did you ever find resolution to this? I'm having the same issue right now.

Sta-Rite tech told me that it was an indication of a bad thermister - I ordered a new one today.

• 10 years later...