How To Troubleshoot A Water Leak?

Edward14

Have been getting a little water leak at the base of the tub on the concrete. It's now turning into green moss/algae. Was going to have a service call but it was then dry for two days. Same filter cycle and usage. Nothing dripping from cover moisture.

Gave it a dose of sealant, drained, refilled and have the same problem. No water in the pump compartment. Question, if I drain it again and turn it on it's side, can I easily remove the wooden base to see if any pipes are leaking? Or are all the pipes insulated so I can see them?

It's a 14 year old Dimension 1 that I bought used from a dealer. The tub is is extremely good shape, he installed a new pump motor and an Ozonator. Love the tub but the lead is driving me crazy. My elec bill is thru the roof but that's a diff topic. Here's some pics, the grass you see at the leak is from my lawn mower an hour ago, the water is green without it.

Hot_Tub1.jpg

Hot_Tub2.jpg

Hot_Tub3.jpg

I don't think you will find a leak if you drain it then tilt on side cuz there is no longer water in it to leak out! When this happened to me, I had to take the skirting off then start to look around with flashlight. Note: don't be fooled into thinking the leak is down in a low spot cuz thats where gravity is sending the water. My leaks were jet fittings that needed the threaded ring tightened.

Good luck

P. S. mine did that too, leak for days then stop for a couple of days then start again.

I don't think you will find a leak if you drain it then tilt on side cuz there is no longer water in it to leak out! When this happened to me, I had to take the skirting off then start to look around with flashlight. Note: don't be fooled into thinking the leak is down in a low spot cuz thats where gravity is sending the water. My leaks were jet fittings that needed the threaded ring tightened.

Good luck

P. S. mine did that too, leak for days then stop for a couple of days then start again.

I actually do want to inspect the pipes and jet fittings that's why I wanted to tilt it on it's side but as I'm a newbie aren't all the pipes encased in foam? I wonder where square one is to start??

I also have read about these leaks will build bacteria on te pipes and fittings which can get into the spa water and give you a horrid case of hot tub lung. Have 4 months left on the used-tub warranty from the dealer. I asked him the first time, he said to use the spa sealant that it fixes leaks 95% of the time. Hmmm......where can I find the jet fittings to tighten?

I just had to work with a screwdriver and chip away at the foam. Be real careful tho because its easy to pry something hidden under the foam you would rather not pry. My advice is work slow and careful till you get used to how to chip the foam with the right amount of pry.

Once it got the leak fixed I figured I'd get the "foam in a can" for the patch. But to be honest, I haven't done the patch yet. Murphy's law: Once you make the patch, It'll start leaking again.

Used the stop leak before with ho hum results.

Question, does the warranty cover these leaks? If you're still covered, let them have the headache.

Good luck

I actually do want to inspect the pipes and jet fittings that's why I wanted to tilt it on it's side but as I'm a newbie aren't all the pipes encased in foam? I wonder where square one is to start??

I also have read about these leaks will build bacteria on te pipes and fittings which can get into the spa water and give you a horrid case of hot tub lung. Have 4 months left on the used-tub warranty from the dealer. I asked him the first time, he said to use the spa sealant that it fixes leaks 95% of the time. Hmmm......where can I find the jet fittings to tighten?

heres my 2 cents. I would first shut pumps off and remove the divirter valve and inspect any o rings you find. if worn, water under pressure and the valve in a certain position water will get passed seal causing intermitant leak. in the pictures it looks like the leak is in that general area. if seals and plastic housing are good my next step is to remove front panels and check connections around pumps, heater tube, ozone and light bezzels .with front panels open you can usually see how the spa is insulated. if the whole cabinet is spray foamed, open panel nearest leak it might take some work to get them off but they must be removed to find leak. working from the side of the spa is much easier that jacking up the spa and usually has a higher success rate. if you are lucky and can now see an area that is wet but have to remove foam i like to use a spoon to scoop out the foam until you get to a visible leak. if the leak is under the spa i will then drain the spa and jack eack corner of the spa and place on automotive jack stands with a fifth stand under the footwell then refill spa with water and run pumps til leak can be found. drain again,repair, lower spa, refill and enjoy. hope this helps. ps some jobs you pay other people to do. just sayin. good luck

• 9 years later...

My own spa (1988 CalSpa) is on a slab and next to my home, with leakage on the slab.  I couln't find my leak anywhere in equipment pack side, so I took off the two accessible sides to look for leaks or discoloration after chipping away insulation, couldn't find any leak.  I put in some rolled foam insulation, closed it up. Now I use leak sealer solution once or twice a year, and it works.

Next time I have the spa empty I'm going to try some JB marine epoxy on a few cracks in the shell.