Energy Efficincy Test

eco_spas

HI,

So, A friend of mine came across a blog on how to test your "Kilowatt usage" on your spa at home. He told me he tried this "home test" and compared it to his power bill and found it to look accurate, but wasnt 100% positive. Thats when and why he contacted me.

I read the blog and tried this "home test" on one of the spas in my facility. Previously to testing I knew what the kilowatt usage was,(I had tested the spa using my equipment), so I could compare the two results side by side. The results of this "home test" compared to the results of "actual kilowatt usage" are very similar.

They also mention the test at Cal-Poly conducted for the C.E.C. and compare it to thier "home test". I am very aware of the testing procedures and of the 27 manufacturers that attended that test. :huh:

But, as for this "home test" being an acurate and easy way to test your spa kilowatt usage from home? I would say, from the comparison of the two results I gathered, Yes it is. so this is the test address:

mycp1.wordpress.com

I suggest trying the test for yourself and determining if the results compare to your bill.

HI,

So, A friend of mine came across a blog on how to test your "Kilowatt usage" on your spa at home. He told me he tried this "home test" and compared it to his power bill and found it to look accurate, but wasnt 100% positive. Thats when and why he contacted me.

I read the blog and tried this "home test" on one of the spas in my facility. Previously to testing I knew what the kilowatt usage was,(I had tested the spa using my equipment), so I could compare the two results side by side. The results of this "home test" compared to the results of "actual kilowatt usage" are very similar.

They also mention the test at Cal-Poly conducted for the C.E.C. and compare it to thier "home test". I am very aware of the testing procedures and of the 27 manufacturers that attended that test. :huh:

But, as for this "home test" being an acurate and easy way to test your spa kilowatt usage from home? I would say, from the comparison of the two results I gathered, Yes it is. so this is the test address:

mycp1.wordpress.com

I suggest trying the test for yourself and determining if the results compare to your bill.

This is very effective way to test your power consumption. But you will only know what it is when it is that same temperature outside as the day you tested. As it cools outside your usage will go up and as it warms it will go down. Wind, usage, drain and refill consumption.

HI,

mycp1.wordpress.com

This is very effective way to test your power consumption. But you will only know what it is when it is that same temperature outside as the day you tested. As it cools outside your usage will go up and as it warms it will go down. Wind, usage, drain and refill consumption.

You are correct on that, there are a number of of variables to consider. But from what i understand from the test is that this test is for "JUST STANDBY" power. Add in using your spa and your kilowatt usage will be more.

Working out how much your spa costs to run is as simple as getting a £25 "landlord" meter wired in-line to your hot tub.

This will count the number of KW/H (or UK units) consumed within a given period and is a very effective way to measure accurate running costs.

However as someone else quite rightly pointed out - you can have a "warm year" or a "cold year" which will have an effect on running costs.

Something you may find interesting is that when we tested some of our products in this way under a 24hr test, we found that when the spa was just sat with the cover on at 38deg ©, for 23 1/2 hrs, it used around 70% of the power, and the other 30% of the power used within the 24hr test period was used when the cover was removed and the pumps turned on.

This was done at an ambient temp of between 0 and 12 deg celcius.

So surprisingly, its actually the half hour per day that you do/dont use the spa, that will affect your daily running costs, and less to do with insulation than one might think...

This might play out differently if the test was done at 0 to -12 though!

Working out how much your spa costs to run is as simple as getting a £25 "landlord" meter wired in-line to your hot tub.

This will count the number of KW/H (or UK units) consumed within a given period and is a very effective way to measure accurate running costs.

However as someone else quite rightly pointed out - you can have a "warm year" or a "cold year" which will have an effect on running costs.

Something you may find interesting is that when we tested some of our products in this way under a 24hr test, we found that when the spa was just sat with the cover on at 38deg ©, for 23 1/2 hrs, it used around 70% of the power, and the other 30% of the power used within the 24hr test period was used when the cover was removed and the pumps turned on.

So surprisingly, its actually the half hour per day that you do/dont use the spa, that will affect your daily running costs, and less to do with insulation than one might think...

This test is just to give you an idea of what your spa is costing you "IN THE CURRENT AMBIENT TEMP", and "WHEN NOT IN USE". Yes, the more you use your spa the more your daily cost will be, thats a given. For you to say that 'insulation has less to do than one might think' Well.. thats ludacris! So im curious "in your test" did you take the cover off and run the pump to simulate a person using the spa?

I understand the concept of what you're saying but I can't agree with those numbers. IMO the average user doesn't use their spa ½ hr per day. I think it's more like 20 minutes every other day (or less, with half of that time being with the jets off).

Therefore, IMO 90%+ of the spas energy usage is happening with the spa idling with the cover on and more like 10% when in use. Therefore, IMO the insulation method is CRUCIAL to the spa's energy efficiency which goes hand in hand with what we see when people buy poorly insulated spas, see sky high bills and end up having to add insulation just to get it to the "ok" level.

Therefore, IMO 90%+ of the spas energy usage is happening with the spa idling with the cover on and more like 10% when in use. Therefore, IMO the insulation method IMO is CRUCIAL to the spa's energy efficiency which goes hand in hand with what we see when people buy poorly insulated spas, see sky high bills and end up having to add insulation just to get it to the "ok" level.

I agree that 90% of a spas energy usage is a more accurate number. I also believe insulation is crucial to this test. The better insulated your spa is the less effect the elements (such as wind, temp, sun etc.) have on your spa, IMO.

Careful where this goes. <_<

The mysteriously, all knowing, all seeing Dr. Spa

What?? :blink:

I'm trying to decipher the same thing...

I think Dr. Spa is reminding us to be careful of this topic. The reason being, when you start getting into energy tests & efficiency of spas, you're bound to begin an argument with folks who disagree on how to test, and whether insulation and such factors mean anything.

Frankly though, all that matters is the owner's electric bill. Put a meter on the spa, and see how many KWh it actually uses. That's all the power company cares about, and therefore that's what the customer cares about.

A very good post, a spa with more powerful pumps will draw more current, thus increasing running costs, also as said above the amount you use it has a big influence on the power consumption, because during this time the cover is off, and we all know heat rises.

So if you are after a cheap spa to run, look for one that is rated at a lower current, when I was looking, some spas were only rated at 13 amps, mine is rated at 32 amps (at 230 volts). However if its a powerful spa you are after then you will have to expect to pay more in electricity bills.

Actually, I was/am expecting the topic to head in the direction of spam B) A number of people contacted me with suspicions of the identity of a particular poster (I already had the same suspicion, but really didn't care). Turns out, by tracing an IP number, the suspicions may be accurate.....not that it matters...as long as the Board Guidelines continue to be adhered to.

I have heard alot of concerns with the accuracy of this test, but has anyone actually tried the test??

I own a meter and have always used that in the past. But no spa currently, so no. I have a wood fired sauna with a battery powered light. And I go through a couple sets of batterys each year at about 4 bucks. So far the wood has been free and probably always will be.

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard alot of concerns with the accuracy of this test, but has anyone actually tried the test??

I own a meter and have always used that in the past. But no spa currently, so no. I have a wood fired sauna with a battery powered light. And I go through a couple sets of batterys each year at about 4 bucks. So far the wood has been free and probably always will be.

Does anyone have a link to one of these meters (perfer a dealer / B&M store in Canada if possible) ? Do they require a certified electrician to install or are these able to be done by a "handyman" ?

Thanks

Calvin