Onzen Repairs?

Budge

Hello,

If have the Arctic Onzen system have you had to have the unit repaired or replaced? The service tech was supposed to be here today to look at our Summit Legend (7 months old), but they cancelled late this afternoon <_< . Our tub stopped producing our santizer of choice, Bromine. The tech should be here Monday, how common are these problems?

This will be my second service call in 7 month! Both of which cost $95.00 each time for a trip fee, so much for a great warranty :angry:. Yes I typed that right, I spent $16,000 on a hot tub and Arctic Spa charges me $95.00 for each service call on a tub that is only half a year old!

FYI my first service call was to get rid of the "FLO" error and replace pump 1 :huh:.

Cheers,

Budge

How far do you live from your dealer? I live about 60km from my dealer and a service trip fee to me is understandable, I am a busness owner and would exspect the same . Atleast you have a warranty, I have a 8mos old Pacific with no warranty,Pacific has gone bankrupt. Bummer

Hello,

If have the Arctic Onzen system have you had to have the unit repaired or replaced? The service tech was supposed to be here today to look at our Summit Legend (7 months old), but they cancelled late this afternoon <_< . Our tub stopped producing our santizer of choice, Bromine. The tech should be here Monday, how common are these problems?

This will be my second service call in 7 month! Both of which cost $95.00 each time for a trip fee, so much for a great warranty :angry:. Yes I typed that right, I spent $16,000 on a hot tub and Arctic Spa charges me $95.00 for each service call on a tub that is only half a year old!

FYI my first service call was to get rid of the "FLO" error and replace pump 1 :huh:.

Cheers,

Budge

Think of it this way, You have to pay a deductable for you car warrenty, plus you have to bring it to the shop.

It says in most warrenties for spas that the dealer can charge a trip fee. They get paid very little for the labor, and usually it is in credit, not money paid to them. Some dealers include this in the sale, some do not. It should have been made clear when you bought the tub if you would be charged. We make it clear when we sell a tub, we will not charge a fee if the tub is under warrenty, this is an added benifit to purchasing from us that our competitors may not offer. It does stink to have stuff happen on a new tub, but at least you purchased a quality tub, and should not have to worry about the manufacturer going out of buisness as many others are going through.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Budge,

My Onzen system never worked from day one but after 2months the store never picked up on this, even after all the water tests!

Eventually we called Onzen and they ran me through some tests, i then placed a service call, argued the $90 charge!!

Tech came, found the problem quickly, the valves were installed in correctly, they were sucking and not blowing, that caused the Onzen generator to burn out.

Once replaced everything has been great, the spa has been brilliant since we had it fixed and refilled (now over 4 months ago)

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

We've had some MAJOR issues with our onzen system. We got the tub in August 2008 and had nothing but issues with the water chemistry and having it register the bromine. We replaced the filters and changed water 3 times over the fall. In early January, 2009 I had had enough and wanted to get rid of our Glacier.

Finally, after discussions with the Onzen hotline and no response from our dealer we ended up getting it serviced. It turns out that the salt cell generator had to be replaced. That was no cost due to the warranty but we did have to pay a fee of 65 bucks to have them come out to us as we live 2 hours from the nearest dealer.

It's been amazing since then...but the poor service and the multitude of different answers we got from Arctic dealers and the Onzen hotline was astonishing.

I do love the tub...but if Arctic doesn't keep on top of their customer service and get their dealers better informed of their new products there will be some trouble down the line, IMHO.

Cheers

Renee

• 2 weeks later...

you know its interesting, but most of people who have had failure with their onzen were using bromine salt, not chlorine. The ones I've heard of with chlorine systems and issues had problems with the pumps or blowers with the onzen, not with the electrodes or actual generation.

Might be nothing... I'm curious how accurate the observation is though.

Just had my electrodes replaced, will report how the system is making out.

BMR

you know its interesting, but most of people who have had failure with their onzen were using bromine salt, not chlorine. The ones I've heard of with chlorine systems and issues had problems with the pumps or blowers with the onzen, not with the electrodes or actual generation.

Might be nothing... I'm curious how accurate the observation is though.

• 2 months later...

Im back!

What a long winter, i think i spent the whole winter fighting my tub.

Before the winter set in, a sevice tech fixed my incorrectly installed valves and everything worked.... for a while.

For the last few months i have not seen any of that mist coming from my footwell, i still get lots of bubbles when the pump is on and the Onzen system is on but onceagain it's not producing any sanitizer.

I have had several water tests done and each time it's add 2 caps of this and 2 more later etc...

When i do the trouble shooting, shut it down and restart with the FD at 0, the footwell lets out a singular bubble every two minutes.

I keep reading that these tubs are easy to maintain but i beg to differ, for about a month after the last repair the reading were great but for the last 5 months no bromine reading what so ever.

Constant foam, brown yucky stuff etc...

I drained and refilled last week, salt levels are good, AK is good, PH close enough to good and already starting to get a film and still no bromine.

I give up! can we return these things?

I shake my head everytime i am in the store and hear the sales pitch of how easy it is to maintain. If only!!!

I am now at the end of my teather.

One good thing, when i called customer service this morning they were very good, much better and more organized than last time.

Nigel

Im back!

What a long winter, i think i spent the whole winter fighting my tub.

Before the winter set in, a sevice tech fixed my incorrectly installed valves and everything worked.... for a while.

For the last few months i have not seen any of that mist coming from my footwell, i still get lots of bubbles when the pump is on and the Onzen system is on but onceagain it's not producing any sanitizer.

I have had several water tests done and each time it's add 2 caps of this and 2 more later etc...

When i do the trouble shooting, shut it down and restart with the FD at 0, the footwell lets out a singular bubble every two minutes.

I keep reading that these tubs are easy to maintain but i beg to differ, for about a month after the last repair the reading were great but for the last 5 months no bromine reading what so ever.

Constant foam, brown yucky stuff etc...

I drained and refilled last week, salt levels are good, AK is good, PH close enough to good and already starting to get a film and still no bromine.

I give up! can we return these things?

I shake my head everytime i am in the store and hear the sales pitch of how easy it is to maintain. If only!!!

I am now at the end of my teather.

One good thing, when i called customer service this morning they were very good, much better and more organized than last time.

Nigel

Nigel I have an Arctic Glarier that I got in July 2008. In January about 2 weeks after I changed water it quit producing chlorine.

Because of a bad winter with about 100 inches of snow and cold temperatures I waited until later April until i called the dealership to get the tub serviced.

A serviced technician came out checked to make sure that the Onzen light on the generator was working and there were bubbles appearing, but I had no puff of smoke comming out. He then checked to make sure that there was voltage going to the electrodes.

The dealer had no spare electrodes so I waited 5 weeks until they received the part. They also ionformed me that they have seen lots of failuers in the electrodes and that the parts that they are now getting from Arctic look different.

The dealer replaced the part late thursday afternoon while I was at work but the service technician called me before he arrived to let me know what he would be doing.

Service technician had to drain the tun to replace the part. When I go home I filled the tub with water and by 8:45PM the tomperature was 88 degrees so I added the salt and then fired up the Onzen. Check it in the morning and had plenty of Chlorine.

I bet that they find the electrodes had failed in your tub.

I hope i dont have to wait 5 weeks for a part.

I have a feeling they have a had a few of these, when i called customer serice last year they were quite pissy to say the least

but this time they were much nicer and it was if they knew what the problem was.

regardless it's still frustrating.

Hope they come soon.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Holy!!! - For a minute there I thought I'd entered a parallel universe in which my Onzen story was being told by other people :lol:

I empathize with Nigel, Budge, Ren, BMR, cpumodem (are there more?). I too have had the very same experience with the Onzen chlorine system. The frustration is that the equipment is faulty and it seems to take months to get this recognized. The first months when your tub should be the most exciting right? If you were like me you spent a long time researching and countless hours going to hot tub dealers.

I am most frustrated that Arctic seems to now use their warranty to protect themselves rather than have it protect me, the guy who spent 12,000 after tax dollars for something that's been nothing but a headache. I sent my frustrations to Blue Falls MFG the makers of Arctic. My response back from them was a two sentence answer that did not address my issues.

One of the financial problems with Onzen is your water cost to refill is considerably more due to the fact all the sanitizer is added on the front end of the fill (40-$50 retail). If I use the chlorine pucks and have to change the water I lose 1/2 dozen puck ($3?)

I'm a realist. I realize things don't always work as they should and new products have growing pains. It's how the company handles these issues when they are presented with them.

Sorry to make this entry so long but it's almost cathartic in the writing :P

Is there any legal recourse for a consumer on expenses directly due to faulty equipment?

I reckon I'm out about $300.00 for salt, filters, test strips etc in a time period I was sold we wouldn't have to put a dime into it for the first 6 months. The spa came with a starter kit of all the things I have since had to replace multiple times.

To me it's such a short term way to look at business. Why wouldn't you want to keep the people who put their money with you, happy? Don't you think they're the people that will one day be buying another hot tub or recommending their current one to family and friends? My neighbors who are also looking at buying a hot tub are well aware of the problems we've had. What tub do you think they're going to buy? Not sure but I can tell you the one they aren't and it's based solely on the reply we received from Arctic. Live and learn I guess.......

Original email to Blue Falls MFG

Date: Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Hello,

We live in Calgary and purchased our Arctic Summit in late November of last year. We did a lot of research before choosing Arctic. You can tell it's a well built spa and worth the extra money. I think we'll get years of enjoyment from it.

But we've had a problem and that has been with the Onzen system. It has not worked properly since delivery, not producing enough sanitizer even when set to the highest level (CP6). We've had 3 service calls from Paradise Bay and finally last Thursday they replaced the Onzen system. That seems to have fixed it.

We wanted to eliminate if this was a user problem (new hot tub owners) or the tub. After speaking with Len from Arctic on the phone and the tub failing the smoke test we realized the issue was the equipment.

In the 6 months since we've owned the tub, we've gone through 3 water changes (about to be 4)and 4 filters trying to combat the problem. I'm sure you can appreciate this has taken the glow and excitement off of having the tub as it has been a financial cost and hours of frustration.

I guess my question to you is should Arctic share some of this cost? I realize there are costs associated with any tub but this has been excessive due to faulty equipment.

I'm not asking for cash money but perhaps some type of credit to go towards salt and filters for the future. We're also going to have to empty the tub and clean the pipes as I'm not sure what is left in there each time we've emptied it.

I want to be in the happy customer category, we're not demanding people (my wife and I). We just want things to be fair. And when our neighbors come over I want to be able to say that Arctic and Paradise Bay and been great to deal with. On that note Len at Arctic has been awesome on the phone, very knowledgeable.

I have taken photos of our spa empty and full if you need any visual information.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Answer from Warranty Manager Blue Falls MFG (makers of Arctic Spa)

Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Hi XXX

We typically do not offer any sort of compensation for chemicals or filters. This is stated very clearly in the warranty. What are you looking for in the way of an in store credit with Paradise bay?

Thanks

My reply Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM

We haven’t heard from the Warranty Manager since……

I guess we'll skip the formalities of "Sorry your tub hasn't worked since day 1 Mr. XXX".

That's an unfortunate way to do business. For $12,000 you sent me a product that did not work and it's taken nearly 6 months of my money and frustration to get it working properly. A product that is shipped to a customer defective, warranty is the last thing a company should be pointing out.

We're not talking about a speaker or a jet that's not working. This is the system that keeps the water sanitary and it's been anything but that.

One of the reasons we went with the salt system was we were sold on the low cost of ownership. I was told we would not need to change the water for at least 6 months.

We had the tub delivered November 14th. Today is June 3rd. I am going to purchase my 3rd set of salt and a filter from Paradise Bay after work today (fourth water change, first salt and filter came with the tub) which will run me about $80. I'll leave it to your judgement if you think we should pay for it.

Thanks,

Hello,

Cheers,

Budge

Budge,

I feel your pain. I own an Arctic Spa without Onzen. Three days after delivery it leaked. The second time I climbed on top of the cover, it caved in. At least half the jets have been replaced because they fall out. The "Maintenance Free" siding needed maintenance after a year and a half. The first tub was replaced and the replacement hasn't worked since delivery in Oct. 2008. Pump 1 has been replaced 2 times. pump 2, the blower, Ozone generator, check valve have all been replaced. The spa initially cost about $10,000.00 and to date I've spent over $1000.00 on my spa which is still under warranty for various "service" charges. I put the word service in quotes because I can't really call what my dealer gives me as service. They've been out as many as 10 times fixing the same problem. The factory just says my beef is with the dealer. Reading some of the other letters on this forum I'm not the only one disappointed with the factory and how they handle problems. Remember the Yugo? Do you remember any Yugo dealers?

Thank goodness I did not get the Onzen system!!!

I hope they can get your problem soon without any more expense!

Paul