How Long To Leave Cover Off

rentit

I've read a lot of the posts on the forum and have gathered several differing opinions on this. But, I've not found a post "dedicated" to this topic.

For the experts on here, what is the best amount of time to leave the cover off after:

1) adding a "daily" amount of chlorine, say to 3-5 PPM

2) adding a shock amount of chlorine, say to 10-12PPM

The goal is to balance extending cover life versus energy savings (losing heat).

Finally, does a floating cover change your recommendation of length of times to leave the cover off?

Does the same thing go for bromine shock? I have been using the Spaguard Enhanced Shock (probably not doing it as much as I should but plan to start doing it weekly), but I did it about 4 days ago and the bromine levels on the test strips are still off the chart. Do I need to be leaving the lid open when I add this? Generally, 2 of us use the hot tub once a week maybe, and it has not been used nor has the lid been open since I added that shock 4 days ago.