Help With Deck O Drain Problem

a12548

I sawed off the top of my deck o drain tops to snap on replacement tops, when i noticed my drain channel has a 1/4" gap between pieces and must have been dribbling water for years. I really dont want to get into pulling out the old drain just for that, is there a way to fix this gap, something that would fill it yet not disrupt the water flow? And in worse case scenario, whats the best way to get these drains out, is there a trick because with some light tugging it doesnt budge out of ground. I enlcosed a good picture of the gap. Id be forever indebted if anyone can help me solve this, hopefully without ripping the whole drain up.

Deck Drain Gap

• 3 months later...

I am on the verge of removing the top to my deck-o-drain channel and fear that I may see the same sort of gap. In addition to the gap issue, I would also be interested in hearing about whatever problems you may have encountered with replacing the top to your deck-o-drain system.

Thanks.

I sawed off the top of my deck o drain tops to snap on replacement tops, when i noticed my drain channel has a 1/4" gap between pieces and must have been dribbling water for years. I really dont want to get into pulling out the old drain just for that, is there a way to fix this gap, something that would fill it yet not disrupt the water flow? And in worse case scenario, whats the best way to get these drains out, is there a trick because with some light tugging it doesnt budge out of ground. I enlcosed a good picture of the gap. Id be forever indebted if anyone can help me solve this, hopefully without ripping the whole drain up.

Deck Drain Gap

After trying few failed methods to seal that gap, I had success with the two-part epoxy putty meant for pool shell repairs. I simply rolled a piece like a small cigar and pressed it down, being careful to make sure it is flush with the adjoining pieces so as not to disturb water flow.

As for replacing the drains, I opted for the replacement caps, youd need to saw off the old tops with a jig saw, leaving about 1/4" lip on each side. Then press the replacemnt top down for snug fit. I opted to put a little PVC cement to seal it down good.

I am on the verge of removing the top to my deck-o-drain channel and fear that I may see the same sort of gap. In addition to the gap issue, I would also be interested in hearing about whatever problems you may have encountered with replacing the top to your deck-o-drain system.

Thanks.

Deck Drain Gap

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, you are dealing with some pretty challenging issues.... I'm a professional pool builder and landscaper in Phoenix, and we deal with those DECO DRAINS all the time. They are either popping up when we don't want them to, or stuck when we need the up! I feel your pain.

To comment on a few items:

#1. For the most part, this drain doesn't have to be 100% waterproof. Some water is going to get in the soil, but since you have the top off, may as well fill it. Epoxy seems like it worked- great!

#2. They make replacement tops that can go on over broken plastic drains, or you can cut them off and do what you did. They are never really the same afterwards though......

#3. For complete replacement, they have a small groove in them that the concrete oozes into to keep them from popping up - this needs to be either sawcut, or aggressively pulled out. Then you can install a new one - the problem is that you have to figure a way to get it to stay in the gap. Without that groove, it will pop up in the near future. When we REPLACE deco-drains, we actually sawcut out one side, and replace the drain with some new concrete. If you are not looking for deck & concrete repairs, some heavy adhesive, grout, thinset, etc... should be put into the drain opening before putting in the new drain. It's a VERY challenging issue, and one we've had our own challenges with - GOOD LUCK!