Hot Spring Auxiliary Control Panel

Raeven

Ok, HS Envoy spa now all set up, tea-colored water cleared, all chemicals in balance, soaking is sublime... BUT! The bluddy auxiliary control panel is pffffttt.

I see I can order one on eBay for something between $35-$49, and the picture shows an easy connection that looks like one of those telephone line connectors that you snap into the wall or the phone and which break with monotonous regularity.

Is installation really that simple? Just pry off the old panel, snap in the connector and reseat the new panel?

Many thanks for any and all assistance.

Raeven

KIALDA, thanks. I'll go ahead and order the part. What do you use to pry out the old panel? I'd use a flat head screwdriver, but I don't want to scratch the spa shell. I'm not very handy, I'm afraid...

Thanks again, Raeven

Wow, that's cheap...they cost a lot more than that for a dealer to purchease from the factory. Are they the old style? There is a new style that retro-fits that is much more reliable. It may be easy to replace, or it could be difficult.

1. Yes, you need to pry off the original panel.

2. Then you need to unplug the phone connector from the control box in the motor compartment.

3. Next attach a string to the end phone connector.

4. Now comes the part that may be easy or hard. You need to pull the cord and string through the conduit that the phone line is in. (from the aux pad end). Sometimes the line gets stuck or breaks if you don't know how much pressure to put on it.

5. Once it is out and you have the string, attach the string to the phone connector on the new pad and pull it back through towards the motor compartment. Plug it in and silicone the new pad into the dish.

If the line breaks on the way through then you need to snake a piece of wire through to connect and pull the new control pad wire with.

Hi, Dan,

I really appreciate the detailed explanation. It makes the process very clear! I live quite rural, so service charges for travel time add up fast.

My guess is the replacement panel I found on eBay is the old style, and not the new upgraded one. I'll probably end up replacing it again at some point -- so I may as well learn how!!

Pity the panel is designed as it is; that is, hard-wired on the auxiliary panel end. It would be so much easier if you could just disconnect the old panel and reconnect the new one, without the necessity to fish the lines coming and going. A safety feature, I suppose.

The only question I still have is what you use to pry out the old panel. Would using a flat head screw driver damage the spa shell?

Thanks a million, Raeven

Pity the panel is designed as it is; that is, hard-wired on the auxiliary panel end. It would be so much easier if you could just disconnect the old panel and reconnect the new one, without the necessity to fish the lines coming and going. A safety feature, I suppose.

The only question I still have is what you use to pry out the old panel. Would using a flat head screw driver damage the spa shell?

Thanks a million, Raeven

Hahahaha...no kidding. The fact that you cannot disconnect it at the pad end has blown my mind since the late 90's when Aux pads first came out on these tubs.

Yeah, just use a flat head screw driver with a towel underneath if you are worried about the shell. It usually doesn't take much prying at all and it will come up.

I looked at the links on Ebay...just make sure that you get a two jet button aux pad...most of the ones I saw listed were the one jet button models. The reason the old styles are so cheap is because companies are trying to unload them as they are no longer made. I wouldn't install an old style pad if someone gave me one for free! I would just get the new style and be done with it, they have been 100% more reliable.

Good luck!

Yeah, the one I'm looking at has the 2 buttons.... but now you've got me thinking I should probably just replace it with the new one, as you said.

So go ahead and scare me... what is the price for the newer control panel? :o

Biting lip, Raeven