Pacific Hot Tubs - Bankrupt

Tanod

I just had confirmation from our dealer indirectly today that they declared bankruptcy yesterday. I have a part being replaced and have to pay for it. No communication from the dealer the brother I was dealing with is no longer working there, I don't know what that means in regard to the dealer himself.

If everything goes under will another spa company service my spa? the technician is telling us that parts are generic etc. I have no confirmation about the dealer but I'm panicking right now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had confirmation from our dealer indirectly today that they declared bankruptcy yesterday. I have a part being replaced and have to pay for it. No communication from the dealer the brother I was dealing with is no longer working there, I don't know what that means in regard to the dealer himself.

If everything goes under will another spa company service my spa? the technician is telling us that parts are generic etc. I have no confirmation about the dealer but I'm panicking right now.

If it’s the dealer that goes under you're still covered as the manufacturer is the one covering the warranty so they are obligated to find someone else in your area to fix the spa under warranty but when the manufacturer goes under you loose that warranty coverage. I'd call the manufacturer and see what they have to say. You can always find someone to fix the spa, even another dealer or an independent tech. The question is whether the warranty is still backed.

If it’s the dealer that goes under you're still covered as the manufacturer is the one covering the warranty so they are obligated to find someone else in your area to fix the spa under warranty but when the manufacturer goes under you loose that warranty coverage. I'd call the manufacturer and see what they have to say. You can always find someone to fix the spa, even another dealer or an independent tech. The question is whether the warranty is still backed.

The manufacturer is bankrupt so my warranty is void. However the brother I've dealt with (hasn't been a great relationship because he's a jerk) is suddenly gone and I'm now suspicious. Our only contact has been with the technician hired through the dealer but my fear is that something will happen to the dealer as well, why the brother suddenly left etc. We'll be visiting tomorrow.

The dominoes are starting to fall. Many of the spa manufacturers are out of cash and now that Textron and American General are out of the spa financing business, the industry is starting to collapse...dealers as well as manufacturers.

Terminator

The dominoes are starting to fall. Many of the spa manufacturers are out of cash and now that Textron and American General are out of the spa financing business, the industry is starting to collapse...dealers as well as manufacturers.

Terminator

So will that eventually mean that they're all going under and that our spas are worthless if something major goes wrong?

Terminator

So will that eventually mean that they're all going under and that our spas are worthless if something major goes wrong?

No, they're not all going under but certainly some will go just as Infinity went away. The stronger companies should stick around fine and in the end the industry would be better if companies like Infinity, Tatum, Master and Thermospas went away but time will tell.

Who is the manufacturer of the spa you purchased and have you called them to confirm what your dealer told you?

No sir, there are a few manufacturers that are financially sound. However, many of them are on the way out...a culling if you will, which needed to happen anyway.

The industry should come out stronger on the other side...whenever that might occur.

Terminator

Things are getting tough and tensions are running high these days. We all remember the term "Going Postal"

I hope they dont have to come up with a term like the guy "Spa-ed out"

There was a shooting Yesturday at Baystate pool company..

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/Fatal_..._company_012809

I had left a message at Pacific 2 days ago, they're always prompt at calling back and this time I received no answer.

I just called the dealer and the girl that answered was stunned - didn't know anything about it. The owner is supposed to call me back, so we'll see if that happens. Hot tubs are only a small part of their business so who knows.

Terminator

Term,

That is a bit over the top. I would say the weaker parts of the industry are starting to collapse...dealers as well as manufacturers. All the more reason to buy from a dealer and manufacturer that can give piece of mind.

Term,

That is a bit over the top. I would say the weaker parts of the industry are starting to collapse...dealers as well as manufacturers. All the more reason to buy from a dealer and manufacturer that can give piece of mind.

OK...but there will probably be tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions, so stock up on ammo and terlet paper as they will become the new currency.

Good luck to you all.

Terminator

Are you talking about;

Pacific Spas Inc.

13025 80th Ave

Surrey, B.C Canada

Yes that is the manufacturer - Pacific.

I spoke to the dealer and have an appointment tomorrow. The technician was very good and has fixed my spa today. It could have been potentially another problem which because of the voided warranty would have cost me $1K. I had issues with someone else at the dealer but it sounds like they fired him which is a good thing.

The dealer also confirmed that they were bankrupt and he had just gotten off the phone with the Pacific president so I think it's safe to say it's official.

It was official to mostly all dealers yesterday that Pacific was filing for Bankruptcy.

It definitely wasnt because of a bad product. I see it as a combination of the company being not aggressive enough & the extremely high dealer cost for the tubs that just didnt produce the volume needed to stay afloat. For an example their largest model The Endeavour fully equipped ran the dealer in the range of $13,000.

It was official to mostly all dealers yesterday that Pacific was filing for Bankruptcy.

It definitely wasnt because of a bad product. I see it as a combination of the company being not aggressive enough & the extremely high dealer cost for the tubs that just didnt produce the volume needed to stay afloat. For an example their largest model The Endeavour fully equipped ran the dealer in the range of $13,000.

What do you expect to happen to the Pacific line Pathfinder? Any chance someone else buys them, or is this the end as we know it of Pacific?

What do you expect to happen to the Pacific line Pathfinder? Any chance someone else buys them, or is this the end as we know it of Pacific?

Hopefully my problem was solved today by the tech fixing the upper control which was (hopefully) causing all my problems. It cost me approx 115 at their cost and free labour .. still think the dealer should pay as there was an issue where this was reported one month ago, we thought it was fixed last Fri and it wasn't. The problem was erratic but that's anothe rmatter.

My tech said Pacific is large .. I said not as large as Jacuzzi. He said there were 35 dealers. I think it might be large for Canada but not enough to stay solvent in these difficult times. However it definitely leaves us customers screwed for the warranty. If anything major happens then we are definitely screwed.

A general statement about the economy and the industry:

It is not likely that anyone would buy them. My opinion.

A general statement about the economy and the industry:

It is not likely that anyone would buy them. My opinion.

I can't see this happening either.

I'm assuming that from what Pathfinder says that the dealer has to buy the hot tub? So all the dealers have useless hot tubs in their showrooms right now .. could possibly sell at a discounted rate but really they are screwed just as much as we are with teh warranty (and I'm still waiting to see if the problem with my hot tub has resolved itself).

Right now talking with other dealers who didnt prepare when the precursors that were around a couple years ago its not good. Unless something can get figured out in the next couple weeks it could be ugly. Right now dealers are left holding the bag for all warranty. I hope most can work out a deal with Gecko on parts if big warranty issues arise. All Pacific guts are from Gecko alliance- Xm3 spa packs, In.therm heaters Ink controls and Aquaflo Pumps. Smaller dealers will be able to work around this issue easily unlike one of the bigger dealers who have over 600+ models in the field in the past few years. They are trying to figure how to handle it all. With the quality of the tubs big warranty issues shouldnt be a problem.

This is a big indicator on how I think Textron has & will affect the market. Once they cut out that left GE, Which I find is much more strict in their requirements for credit. So if a dealer relies on a flooring plan which they now cant get, they are now only ordering 2 or 3 tubs cash. Spread those 3 non ordered tubs across the whole group at an average of 21k, thats alot of money. I definitely dont think Pacific is the only one affected in Canada by this. Im pretty sure Beachcomber, Arctic & Hydropool are taking big hits, considering the dealer pricing is pretty close to Pacifics that I do know for a fact. I would really love to see something happen where a new ownership would focus on the US Which was hampered by the previous ownership.

Right now talking with other dealers who didnt prepare when the precursors that were around a couple years ago its not good. Unless something can get figured out in the next couple weeks it could be ugly. Right now dealers are left holding the bag for all warranty. I hope most can work out a deal with Gecko on parts if big warranty issues arise. All Pacific guts are from Gecko alliance- Xm3 spa packs, In.therm heaters Ink controls and Aquaflo Pumps. Smaller dealers will be able to work around this issue easily unlike one of the bigger dealers who have over 600+ models in the field in the past few years. They are trying to figure how to handle it all. With the quality of the tubs big warranty issues shouldnt be a problem.

This is a big indicator on how I think Textron has & will affect the market. Once they cut out that left GE, Which I find is much more strict in their requirements for credit. So if a dealer relies on a flooring plan which they now cant get, they are now only ordering 2 or 3 tubs cash. Spread those 3 non ordered tubs across the whole group at an average of 21k, thats alot of money. I definitely dont think Pacific is the only one affected in Canada by this. Im pretty sure Beachcomber, Arctic & Hydropool are taking big hits, considering the dealer pricing is pretty close to Pacifics that I do know for a fact. I would really love to see something happen where a new ownership would focus on the US Which was hampered by the previous ownership.

That's what I'm going in to talk about today. Yesterday the dealer charged me for the part but free labour. How long will he be able to keep that up? Pacific was only one side of his business and he likely will survive but he also took over the hot tub warranties under Pacific's request when another dealer dropped Pacific. I feel badly for the dealers but obviously this is a bad situation for all of us now too. I also think that this could have impact all over the business which was likely thriving a year ago.

That's what I'm going in to talk about today. Yesterday the dealer charged me for the part but free labour. How long will he be able to keep that up? Pacific was only one side of his business and he likely will survive but he also took over the hot tub warranties under Pacific's request when another dealer dropped Pacific. I feel badly for the dealers but obviously this is a bad situation for all of us now too. I also think that this could have impact all over the business which was likely thriving a year ago.

Pathfinder if they had to change the spa pack the tech told me it would be $1K. Thank god it wasn't or doesn't seem to be but I think now I need a valium everytime I look at the tub.

You might want to make sure your "facts" are "facts" before posting them as "facts". Lots of assumptions in this post that are posted as "facts".

You might want to make sure your "facts" are "facts" before posting them as "facts". Lots of assumptions in this post that are posted as "facts".

Are you referring to dealer cost of tubs??? Since I have sold Beach, & Hydropool b4 I know what the landing cost are. As for Arctic pricing a personal friend showed me what he paid for his tubs.

So yeah I can say those are facts.

Are you referring to dealer cost of tubs??? Since I have sold Beach, & Hydropool b4 I know what the landing cost are. As for Arctic pricing a personal friend showed me what he paid for his tubs.

So yeah I can say those are facts.

Perhaps he is referring to your comment about the other hot tubs being in trouble?

Anyways, I met with dealer - only 10% business is from hot tub and they are working on a plan to get parts/help consumers. I won't go into detail but I know that he's involved with some big solid contracts through where my husband works non related to hot tubs .. so they aren't going out of business .. I think I will be okay. Also a reassurance that hot tubs don't require a huge amount of maintenance (I have neighbours iwth hot tubs that have never been serviced so hope this holds out).

Pacific was owned by a retired millonaire that wanted to make money on the side, I think lesson learned that any company nowadays needs to be extremely aggressive. However, this is really a great hot tub for me and I tested every top brand in the market .. it's too bad the exposure wasn't bettter.