2001 Sundance Altamar For $2000 -- Good Deal?

colie12

Hi All-

I've been reseraching a new spa purchse for about 2 months and have found this forum to be invaluable! Based on some tips I've picked up here, I've done some looking & found a 2001 Altamar for $2K which includes steps, a cover & lifter. It's being sold by a spa service company (not a dealer or private owner) and they will include a 90-day warranty. They will also deliver it to me 30+ miles from where it is currently full & hot! The surround has been re-stained and all components are descirbed in "excellent, like-new" condition.

I've found other Sundance spas of a similar age for $1000-1500 without the extras, delivery or warranty, so I'm willing to pay more for the peace of mind. What do you all think of this offer? Should I keep looking?

Also, what is the life expectancy of a Sundance Altmar? I know it's already 8 years old, so how many useful years can I expect with a properly maintained tub?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All-

I've been reseraching a new spa purchse for about 2 months and have found this forum to be invaluable! Based on some tips I've picked up here, I've done some looking & found a 2001 Altamar for $2K which includes steps, a cover & lifter. It's being sold by a spa service company (not a dealer or private owner) and they will include a 90-day warranty. They will also deliver it to me 30+ miles from where it is currently full & hot! The surround has been re-stained and all components are descirbed in "excellent, like-new" condition.

I've found other Sundance spas of a similar age for $1000-1500 without the extras, delivery or warranty, so I'm willing to pay more for the peace of mind. What do you all think of this offer? Should I keep looking?

Also, what is the life expectancy of a Sundance Altmar? I know it's already 8 years old, so how many useful years can I expect with a properly maintained tub?

Thanks in advance!

If they've refurbed it and are giving a 90 day warranty, delivering it with steps, cover and lifter it sounds pretty good.

Based on the post a couple days back where someone was sold a spa by a similar spa service operation and found out later it was in reality 4 years older after researching the serial number I would ask them to e-mail/call me with the spa serial number. You can then post it here and I'm sure someone with Sundance knowledge can confirm its age.

Spatech -- the serial # is 991212441. Can you confirm this is a 2001 spa?

Also, the unit isn't refurbished, it's just in general, great condition w/ a warranty. Is this too much for a non-refurbished spa?

Lastly, how long should a properly maintained Sundance spa last? I'd hope to get at least 5 good years out of it...is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

Also, the unit isn't refurbished, it's just in general, great condition w/ a warranty. Is this too much for a non-refurbished spa?

Lastly, how long should a properly maintained Sundance spa last? I'd hope to get at least 5 good years out of it...is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

I can't confirm that serial number but hopefully someone else can.

I see no reason why you can't get 5 years out of that spa without major headaches if its in good working order.

Thanks!

That is not a Sundance Serial number.. Did you get this yourself or did they give it to you?

I had posted on here before about being told a spa was a certain age that didn't match the date on the serial number label on the spa. Well it happened again! I went to see a second Sundance ( a Calypso advertised by yet a different spa refurbisher) that was purported to be a 2002 model. We immediately asked to see the control panel and lo and behold the date on that one was 1995! The guy started to tell us some BS story about how parts don't match up the real date of the spa being put into service, blah, blah, blah. I went home and called Sundance and gave them the serial number on that spa and the verdict: the spa was manufactured in 1995 and was delivered to the buyer in 1995. While I had Sundance on the phone I asked about the supposed 2001 Cameo model (that's still in my back yard awaiting pickup by the seller) and was informed that it is indeed a 1997 model (as the plate says) and was sold in 1997. The price of the 1997 model was $2250 including new cover, lifter, delivery and 30 day warranty and the 1995 model they were trying to get $1900. Given that these are 12 and 14 year old spas I hardly think they are worth that.

Moral of story: Always check that serial number plate and don't believe anything you are told. It seems pretty unbelieveable to me that this would happen to me twice in a week from 2 different resellers. Go figure... and buyer beware!

Sundance spas can be easily reached at (866) 814-3644

I had posted on here before about being told a spa was a certain age that didn't match the date on the serial number label on the spa. Well it happened again! I went to see a second Sundance ( a Calypso advertised by yet a different spa refurbisher) that was purported to be a 2002 model. We immediately asked to see the control panel and lo and behold the date on that one was 1995! The guy started to tell us some BS story about how parts don't match up the real date of the spa being put into service, blah, blah, blah. I went home and called Sundance and gave them the serial number on that spa and the verdict: the spa was manufactured in 1995 and was delivered to the buyer in 1995. While I had Sundance on the phone I asked about the supposed 2001 Cameo model (that's still in my back yard awaiting pickup by the seller) and was informed that it is indeed a 1997 model (as the plate says) and was sold in 1997. The price of the 1997 model was $2250 including new cover, lifter, delivery and 30 day warranty and the 1995 model they were trying to get $1900. Given that these are 12 and 14 year old spas I hardly think they are worth that.

Moral of story: Always check that serial number plate and don't believe anything you are told. It seems pretty unbelieveable to me that this would happen to me twice in a week from 2 different resellers. Go figure... and buyer beware!

Sundance spas can be easily reached at (866) 814-3644

I am glad to hear you took my advice and made the call. That is one great thing about Sundance, They keep good records and as you can see even someone interested in buying a used spa can call the company and get help from a representative there. I hope Colie does the same as the serial number they were given is not correct..

Good luck with your search for a new spa, and from the sounds of it a reputable dealer.

Thanks!

That is not a Sundance Serial number.. Did you get this yourself or did they give it to you?

That is what I was given by the company...thanks for the heads-up that it's not a correct serial number. They also have a similar D1 for sale, so I wonder if they got the serial #'s mixed up...trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here! I'll post the proper serial number once I receive it. Thanks again, this has been very helpful!

Thanks!

That is what I was given by the company...thanks for the heads-up that it's not a correct serial number. They also have a similar D1 for sale, so I wonder if they got the serial #'s mixed up...trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here! I'll post the proper serial number once I receive it. Thanks again, this has been very helpful!

The serial number for a 2001 Altamar will start with AL followed by 6 numbers (AL123456) the numbers after the serial number are the manufacture month and year..

Thanks!

The serial number for a 2001 Altamar will start with AL followed by 6 numbers (AL123456) the numbers after the serial number are the manufacture month and year..

SO...the spa in question is a 2000 Sundance Optima, not an Altamar! Serial number is OOP3800-OP373126-0100. I asked the seller to send me a picture of the mfg plate and I noticed many discrepancies from his original ad. I haven't done enough research to know how the Optima & Altamar compare...which tub is superior?

This has been quite the learning experience! Why do resellers have such trouble accurately describing their tubs??

You may have lucked out! I think that is a much better spa. OP373126 Is a correct Sundance serial number. That is for an Optima that was built and put into service in January of 2000. It is in Emerald Green Acrylic with a sierra red cabinet.

Yes, that's exactly what the spa looks like! Good to know that the Optima is a better spa too! I guess it being one year older than advertised isn't that big of a deal...it really appears to be in mint condition.

Thanks so much Kialda and spatech, you've been very helpful. I'm grateful for your advice. :D

You may have lucked out! I think that is a much better spa. OP373126 Is a correct Sundance serial number. That is for an Optima that was built and put into service in January of 2000. It is in Emerald Green Acrylic with a sierra red cabinet.

Yes, that's exactly what the spa looks like! Good to know that the Optima is a better spa too! I guess it being one year older than advertised isn't that big of a deal...it really appears to be in mint condition.

Thanks so much Kialda and spatech, you've been very helpful. I'm grateful for your advice. :D

Hi Colie12 another thing you want to check is the jet internals part # 6000-300 if the previous owner did not keep up the chemistry in the water it will destroy those jets that is why sundance did away with them in 2002 also check that they rotate easy that spa has 8 of them in it and if you have to buy them they are about $30 dollars a piece check the temp sensor in the filter bay see if it about 2 inches long or shorter if it is the long one you will have to replace it sooner or later also back in 01 99 % of the ozones that where put on was a uv ozone it is about 18 inches long about the size of a 2 x 4 if it has that it is not working unless they replaced it recently hope this helps

• 10 years later...
On 1/20/2009 at 6:58 PM, colie12 said:

Hi All-

Thanks in advance!

Was searching pricing to sell my Altamar as we are downsizing pending moving . I know it's late but this may help others. I have a 2002 Altamar and it still runs great. We use it a few times a week, so they last a good long time without repairs.