Chlorine Free With Just Spa Shock And Ion Sanitizer?

DrewinOregon

I just bought a used 2007 Hot Springs Prodigy spa from a private party. They said they never used chlorine or bromine, but only spa shock and the ion sanitizer. Is this enough to sanitize a spa? Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new.

I have granular chlorine, but have not yet filled the tub. (I am not opposed to chlorine.)

Thanks for any insight.

Sounds like Nature 2 and MPS to me. It does work if you follow the recipe in the manual. I've been using it with dichlor instead of MPS. However, my CYA stabilizer is getting too high from using dichlor. I'm either going to switch to MPS or bleach until I change the water next month. I think this system works even better if you have ozone.

If you read the directions, you must start the mineral sticks with dichlor. What we found that works with people that want a no/low chlorine is that you use the MPS at each soak and dichlor weekly. Dichlor is also used after heavy use or if the water is cloudy/smells off.

As limus said, if you use dichlor all the time, you CYA will get high and you will have to drain the tub. Ozone also helps greatly with mineral systems.