Spa Wiring - 4 Wire Caldera

outatime

Hi All

I am attempting to wire in a Caldera Spa on Wednesday so I can hopefully join the elite spa owners on this forum :) This will be my first time trying to wire a spa so need a little advice please, its a Caldera spa, 4 wire 220v.

I am trying to figure all this out in my head, as far as the gauge wire I have that and bought 100ft #6 outdoor 4 wire. I think I have a correct understanding of how I wire the spa but need it double checking please, I know I can wire from the GFI sub panel to the spa but I am not 100% sure on the neutral wire, from what I understand the Neutral wire and the Ground wire comes from the same bar in the house breaker box but one is a Green wire and other a white wire.

Right now I have a 60amp breaker in my main breaker box in my garage and that has the two wires 220v and a ground, that than goes to the External Breaker...now this is where I am not sure about, if I have a ground wire going to a bar in the external breaker box can I then connect the neautral and ground wires from the #6 (4 wire) to this to run to the GFI Sub Panel? Or do I have to run a white wire from my house breaker to the external breaker? It would be real tough to run an extra wire which is why I am hoping the ground that already comes from the main breaker box in the garage will suffice....not big on electrical so I needed some clarification please! I have made a little diagram to hopefully explain better.

spa-wiring.jpg

Also below is the wiring diagram from Caldera

caldera-wiring.jpg

Hope someone can please offer a little advice please.

Thank you

Stuart

Hi All

I am attempting to wire in a Caldera Spa on Wednesday so I can hopefully join the elite spa owners on this forum :) This will be my first time trying to wire a spa so need a little advice please, its a Caldera spa, 4 wire 220v.

I am trying to figure all this out in my head, as far as the gauge wire I have that and bought 100ft #6 outdoor 4 wire. I think I have a correct understanding of how I wire the spa but need it double checking please, I know I can wire from the GFI sub panel to the spa but I am not 100% sure on the neutral wire, from what I understand the Neutral wire and the Ground wire comes from the same bar in the house breaker box but one is a Green wire and other a white wire.

Right now I have a 60amp breaker in my main breaker box in my garage and that has the two wires 220v and a ground, that than goes to the External Breaker...now this is where I am not sure about, if I have a ground wire going to a bar in the external breaker box can I then connect the neautral and ground wires from the #6 (4 wire) to this to run to the GFI Sub Panel? Or do I have to run a white wire from my house breaker to the external breaker? It would be real tough to run an extra wire which is why I am hoping the ground that already comes from the main breaker box in the garage will suffice....not big on electrical so I needed some clarification please! I have made a little diagram to hopefully explain better.

spa-wiring.jpg

Also below is the wiring diagram from Caldera

caldera-wiring.jpg

Hope someone can please offer a little advice please.

Thank you

Stuart

I am a little confused why you have a exteranl breaker box and a GFCI sub panel for the spa. You can take a #6 wire with black,red,white, ground right from the panel in the house to GFCI spa breaker box.

If the external box is there because was or is being used for another application than you will need to run a extra white nuetral wire to external box. The spa needs to be wired correctly with all the required wire. You can not connect the white the way you described. It might be easier to run a a whole new line to the spa

The External breaker box MUST have a neutral or you can't use it, just like Five Five Eight said. The GFI(s) needs that neutral to work properly. GFI's are kinda cool cuz they make you wire them properly, if you don't, they trip.

The diagram notes that the sub panel with GFI breakers is provided with the spa. I'm guessing that the wiring from the sub panel to the 5 pole buss is already wired, Yes? If so then all you have to do is hook up the L1, L2, Ground, and Neutral.

Hot wire #1 to L1

Hot wire #2 to L2

Ground to GRD

White to Neutral

Hope this helps, Let us know how you make out. Good Luck

Thanks guys for your replies, I have been searching all evening for some sort of answer, I think you have both helped me out. When I mentioned external breaker box, its an existing external breaker box for my pool pump and pool lights (heater has its own breaker box line). So we were going to tap off the existing line that the pool pump used but I don't think it has a neutral line just the two 220v and a ground line. I really don't want to run another complete line for the spa as I already spent $400 on #6 cable today and can't really afford another $400 for another run unless I really have too. Could I buy a single wire run of #6 in white and connect it to neutral from inside my main breaker box and run it outside in conduit to the existing external pool equipment breakers so I have that forth wire? Would that work?

Thanks you again for your help, much appricated.

Stuart

Thanks guys for your replies, I have been searching all evening for some sort of answer, I think you have both helped me out. When I mentioned external breaker box, its an existing external breaker box for my pool pump and pool lights (heater has its own breaker box line). So we were going to tap off the existing line that the pool pump used but I don't think it has a neutral line just the two 220v and a ground line. I really don't want to run another complete line for the spa as I already spent $400 on #6 cable today and can't really afford another $400 for another run unless I really have too. Could I buy a single wire run of #6 in white and connect it to neutral from inside my main breaker box and run it outside in conduit to the existing external pool equipment breakers so I have that forth wire? Would that work?

Thanks you again for your help, much appricated.

Stuart

Yes you run the single addtional wire you need

Hi

Thank you all so much for the advice, I had my 05 Caldera Elation delivered yesterday morning and we spent most of the day running cable but at midnight last night I finally had every wire in place, filled the tub up this morning and its runnng perfectly! I can't tell you how excited I am waiting to use it.

Again thank you all.

Stuart

• 2 months later...

I have a similar condition. I'm also getting a Caldera GFCI box. I have an existing 220V circuit without a neutral to where I removed my old spa. I plan to connect the 220V circuit to the GFCI box which I'll attach to a wall on the outside of the house near an outdoor light. Can I tap into the neutral wire at the light and run a wire to the neutral terminal in the GFCI? Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic BUT it comes up in searches.

The advice this poor guy received was entirely WRONG! and dangerous!
NO - You cannot just tap into a neutral in a light fixture or electrical box.

And NO - you cannot just run a neutral wire on the outside of your conduit or cable!

The diagram from the manufacturer was correct. Why second-guess it? (that is - unless you want to void your warranty and have a dangerous install!)

To anybody reading this forum in the future, disregard the information and advice given in this thread!
AND

If you are unsure of how to install the electrical circuit for your spa/hot-tub, CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!
The last place you want to practice or learn electrical work is installing a device where your family and friends will be using a high-power electrical circuit near water! Make sure that the feeder circuit and GFCI disconnect is properly installed.

And don't let the electrician second-guess the manual. Don't use aluminum conductors (the bromide and other chemicals can react with the aluminum conductors and cause problems with the conenctions) - And DO use full-size neutral and ground wires between the disconnect and the spa control panel hookup.

It makes no sense to cut corners on your spa electrical installation - If it seems beyond your level of electrical experience, hire a professional!

Lastly: I just noticed -the title of the thread is "4-wire"
Why run a three wire feeder?

I don't mean to act like a dickhead but people - YOUR CHILDREN'S LIVES COULD BE ON THE LINE HERE! Don't cut corners to save a couple hundred dollars. Just buy a cheaper spa if you can't afford the installation.

D. Weddle
DX Hydro Co.
Des Moines, IA