My Spa Keeps Turning On By Itself

Every so often my spa keeps turning on by itself. Kinda got me worried. Obviously I need to get the electrician out to have a look but wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what the causes may be

I'm guessing that this is your first spa and you just got it? If so, then I wouldn't be worried at all. When my spa is in standard mode, it maintains the set water temp at all times. To do that, the low speed on one pump comes on periodically throughout the day/night, whenever the temperature sensors sense that the water temp has dropped, and the heater comes on. In economy mode, the water temp will drop throughout the day/night until it's time for one of the 2 filtering cycles to start. Then, the heater heats the water up while the spa is filtering. So I only hear the spa running every 12 hours during those two cycles (which are set to 2 hours each). From the reading that I've done here, I'm guessing that's how any spa without a circulation pump works - if your spa has a circ pump, then it runs 24/7 (if I'm not correct, the guys "in the know" will correct me). Periodically, there are discussions about which mode is "better" - standard or economy. IMO, it's a personal decision based on how often you use your spa, whether you tend to use it at the same time of day or at different times, and how well-insulated your spa is. Your owner's manual should explain the different modes and how to alternate from one to the other. Good luck and enjoy your spa.

Sandi

Yeah that's right

Every so often my spa keeps turning on by itself. Kinda got me worried. Obviously I need to get the electrician out to have a look but wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what the causes may be

This depends on the brand of your spa. The vast majority of hot tubs use their Jet Pump for circulation. This means that every time the hot tub needs to heat itself, or needs to run a programmed filtration cycle, the jet pump will activate to move water through the filter system, or through the heater for heating purposes.

For 90% of hot tubs you'll notice it turns itself on and off all the time (more so in cold climates).

However, if you have a Hot Spring hot tub in particular, the spa should not do this. Some spas like Hot Spring, do not use the jet pump for circulation, thereby saving on energy costs and virtually eliminating any noise heard from the spa. If you have a Hot Spring hot tub and it's turning on and off, you will want to contact your local dealer for support.

Otherwise, if it's another brand, your hot tub is likely doing what it was programmed to do. :)

Yeah that's right

Ya it kinda freaked me out the other day I was getting out of the spa and suddenly every jet and pump went on full blast and I couldnt get them to turn off! I went to the instructions and they said this is a feature to prevent water from stagnating in less used pumps and pipes.

Thanx all

I am not worried anymore. I have the type of spa that does turn on by itself to circulate etc etc. You have all put my mind to rest.

My three kids were in there the last time it happened and I got really spooked.

It's 41c degrees here in adelaide today and guess what I am doing... jumping in my spa

cheers all

Now that you know all that, read on, (your manual) My tub has the 4 programed times to come on, which by the way you can program the time the pump runs, default is 30 min each. Plus you can set start and run time for the circ pump as well. Just some more information to clog your brain...

• 10 years later...

Just replaced pvcs under tub - heater shot but using it cold for the summer then will drain for winter. Have it set for two hrs twice a day. Issue is it sounds like a small pump going on every half hr or so (not sure every half hr or not cuz not out here all day) but shits itself off after two minutes. What do you think? 

• 2 weeks later...