Yellow/Amber water after shock

Guest Carla

Hi. I am having a problem with my water. This is the 4th year we have set up our Simple set pool and I have never had problems before. I filled it up over a week ago, everything was fine, water was crystal clear, then I shocked it. Water turned a amberish yellow color. I took a sample to the pool store. They told me it was probbaly precipitated metals. But since they had precipitated the tests did not show anything. I drained the pool, and refilled it using Sequa-sol as I filled which is supposed to remove metals from the water. The pool holds app. 3000 gallons of water and I used about 10 oz on fill up, and once full added another 6 oz. That was last Friday. The pool water was crystal clear all weekend (no one was swimming either). On Monday afternoon I took a sample of the water to the pool store. My water checked out wonderfully. No iron, no copper, all levels were where they should be. I came home and shocked the pool (I used 1/4 pound). Woke up this morning to check levels in pool.... Yellow-amberish water! The water is still just as clear as anything, but my white bottom appear to now be an ugly amber/yellow color. I can't even fathom what this particular color would be called in Crayola's world, but I don't want my pool water that color. I am using the filter system that came with the pool (cartridge filter). The first time I filled it, the cartridge had brownish stains on the filter (which looked like rust, that could not be sprayed or cleaned off) I am filling using city water. I am using the same water I have used the past 3 summers. I am using a new hose bib my husband installed, but everything else is the same. At the advice of the pool store I just poured the rest of the bottle of Sequa-Sol into the pool. So I have used 32 oz of that stuff for a 3000 gallon pool. This is so frustrating. I have never had a pool problem like this at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My ph is about 7.6 and all other levels are well within normal. Thanks.

I am considering buying the Sparkle up and metal magnet, but I've been told this sequa sol is one of the best....

Carla

Where do you live. City or country? Some cities treat their water with different treatments at different times of the year. Sounds like metal or sulfur in the water. Use super stain out. Half the bottom should take care of it. Clean the filters after running it for about 8 hours. Give you filters time to work. Don't test the water again untill you see a difference in the clarity.

Carla,

Something is coloring the water amber, could be the pool, the shock, the water or the Sequa-sol.

Try elminating the water as a source of the amber color with the following experiment. Take 1 gallon of tap water and add 5 drops of unscented laundry bleach which should result in about 10ppm total chlorine (same as your pool). If the water turns amber then you know the water supply has a problem.

If the water does not turn amber then look at a source other than the wafer, could be the shock or the pool (and associated equiipment)

Hope this helps.

Bob

we are experiencing the same problem- have an inground pool with liner- 3rd year and never had any problems until this year- have put in 4 bottles of stain out- turns water blue but with a milky look, then a few days later (without adding any additional water or rain,) it begans to turn colors- the water is fine, but the stain gets on my pool and turns it a dingy, yellow/amber color- take the water out and put in a glass and it is perfectly clear- the stain is on my pool- pool place is out of options-

any suggestions- by the way, we live in louisiana and it is very warm already,- the cholorine is always low because the stain out eats the chlorine

we are experiencing the same problem- have an inground pool with liner- 3rd year and never had any problems until this year- have put in 4 bottles of stain out- turns water blue but with a milky look, then a few days later (without adding any additional water or rain,) it begans to turn colors- the water is fine, but the stain gets on my pool and turns it a dingy, yellow/amber color- take the water out and put in a glass and it is perfectly clear- the stain is on my pool- pool place is out of options-

any suggestions- by the way, we live in louisiana and it is very warm already,- the cholorine is always low because the stain out eats the chlorine

I have had the Same problem. I had filled my SimpleSet pool a week ago and the water was fine. After I shocked the water it turned PEE Yellow. I have cleaned my filter and tested the water.. Everything is fine. I have Ground water, but It is cleaner then the city water according to the Water Inspectors. The water was crystal clear before I shocked it. I drained and Refilled and got the same problem. I didnt even shock it this time and it's still yellow. I am wondering if it is a result of Running the Well to long.. 6hrs. . Also we do have very HARD water... What should I do?

Ok, I'm a camp director and this same problem was driving us nuts the past couple weeks as we struggled to keep our pool green. After going through much the same headache as many of you, we tested for iron content in our pool. Found it was way too high and that as soon as we tried shocking the pool or adding liquid chlorine, we got a yellow, if not green pool depending on how much we shocked it. The color is a result of the chlorine oxidizint the iron and causing rust. If not treated, it will stain the pool as well. While it is safe to swim in and has no health hazards that I am aware of, it doesn't look that great and who doesn't want a beautiful sparkling clean pool? Now if I can just find where to buy the stuff by the case and not at a local retailer, I'll be set. Anyone know of any place? Hope this helps.

Same problem here, and I found this explanation http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/How_do_you_clean_rusty_pool_water

(3rd Answer on the page) which sounded exactly like what happened to us. However, I haven't tried out the advice yet and am dreading have to empty/refill the pool. We're looking for shock without calcium in it and we'll try it on the water already in the pool and see if we can fix it with the Metal Magic and Borax - if not we'll have to start over.

Aren't pools supposed to be fun?!

Guest same problem in connecticut

I have had the same problem, except mine started after I threw in too much PH increase which according to great web site called askalanaquestion.com, the quick increase in ph, which happens when you use liquid shock, causes the metals in the water to precipitate out and cause staining. I have tried several times spending lots of $$$ using super erase followed by 2-3 dosing of metal magnet it works for about a week and the stains re appear. It was also after owing my pool for 3 years, interesting!! Alan has now recommended using sequasol, it just another metal remover which is used for spas and supposedly can with stand high temp and chlorine levels. If so many people are haveing the same problem without fixing it something else must be going on here.

I'm sorry I never checked back here. Lost my link. I did hear of at least 3 other familes in my town that had the same problem. We've determined there is iron in the water. So.... I ran my filter continuusly for 3 days/ The color got lighter and lighter, and finally cleared up. Now I just add some sequa sol when I am adding new water to counteract any problems that might arise. In addition I was told to lower the ph and switch chlorine brands. Whether it was a combination of the 3, or simply the continuous filtration, my water has been clear since that initial 3 day wait...

Of course I did burn the pump up and had to buy a newer one (which isn't nearly as big, but seems to be doing an ok job) but in the meantime I managed to get some grey, hairlike slimy deposits which I haven't identified, but they do scoop right out with the net. Ah, but the water is clear!!

Thanks for all the advice!

Carla

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone searching for answers....had the same problem....within minutes of adding liquid chlorine my pool turned a brownish-yellow.....so I went searching and couldn't find any answers....well I figured it out......I add 3 boxes (the small refrigerator sizes) of baking soda and you could see the water clearing up in front of your eyes....so try it....I took the used ones out of my fridge and freezer and poured them in!!! I hope this helps some of you with this problem!

• 10 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/22/2007 at 10:26 AM, sden said:

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone searching for answers....had the same problem....within minutes of adding liquid chlorine my pool turned a brownish-yellow.....so I went searching and couldn't find any answers....well I figured it out......I add 3 boxes (the small refrigerator sizes) of baking soda and you could see the water clearing up in front of your eyes....so try it....I took the used ones out of my fridge and freezer and poured them in!!! I hope this helps some of you with this problem!

AMAZING! 400 gallon spa went from dark urine color to crystal clear in about 20 second with about half a cup! Thank you so much!