Install Hot Tub Inside

bwall

Is it ok to put my hot tub in the basement back in my unfinished storage area. I have a good cover that goes over the tub. What are the pros and cons about putting a hot tub indoors? it will have exposure to the 1st floor floor joists and the backside of 2 basement walls. The rest is just concrete foundation. I have heard that putting them inside can cause problems. Was thinking if the cover was on the tub when not in use, it would not cause to many problems. Is it a bad idea??

Thanks

Bob

Is it ok to put my hot tub in the basement back in my unfinished storage area. I have a good cover that goes over the tub. What are the pros and cons about putting a hot tub indoors? it will have exposure to the 1st floor floor joists and the backside of 2 basement walls. The rest is just concrete foundation. I have heard that putting them inside can cause problems. Was thinking if the cover was on the tub when not in use, it would not cause to many problems. Is it a bad idea??

Thanks

Bob

I'm not an expert, but I've heard you need really good ventilation in the room. Also, I once went in a house that had a hot tub in a room that appeared to be properly ventilated, but it still had a dank smell to it due to the moisture build up. I'd consult several appropriately licensed people before placing it in the room.

I'm not an expert, but I've heard you need really good ventilation in the room. Also, I once went in a house that had a hot tub in a room that appeared to be properly ventilated, but it still had a dank smell to it due to the moisture build up. I'd consult several appropriately licensed people before placing it in the room.

Excellent advice.

B)

I talked to a spa shop that I used to get chemicals from and they gave me some ideas for ventalation. I'm gonna stop by some a few more spa shops and talk to them also.

I have a small 2 X 3-4ft window about 16 feet across the storage area. I wsa thinking that I could put a fan that would blow out that window and the maybe even a bath vent fan and run the duct line out to the window too.

If it floods/leaks for some unknown/godly reason.....what potential problems do you see? Does the floor have a drain etc?

Will the floor carry the load?

And I have heard too,that you need proper venilation with a hot tub.

Lastly,have you thought out the openings you have,I.E. doorways etc.....that will permit you moving/installing the tub?

GL with it,and let us know what you do/did.....and what you learned etc

If it floods/leaks for some unknown/godly reason.....what potential problems do you see? Does the floor have a drain etc?

Lastly,have you thought out the openings you have,I.E. doorways etc.....that will permit you moving/installing the tub?

My best friend's brother lives back east and got pretty sick, ie needed to be hospitalized with chest pain and shortness of breath which they ultimately blamed on a poorly ventilated inside spa he used every night.

Be careful!

Think about draining it also, and..................no stars.

No one has asked the question WHY? Bob, do you live in Iraq or Afghanistan and are afraid to sit outside at night? I don't think I once gave any thought to putting a spa inside. Plus, how in the world would you ever get one down there? (unless you have a walk out basement with wide doors). Sounds like a mess to me.

I got a ranch style house in a patio home community and the homes are kinda close. The neighbors deck and kitchen look right a my deck (decks about 10ft apart) and the house is on a corner lot with about 15 feet between the house behind. I don't have a fence or any privacy to speak of really at this time on the back of the house. I'm remodeling the house big time and money is going to inside works and siding.

The basement wall is gone and being moved back about 4 feet to make room for bigger rec room pool table etc. So, I can get it in the storage area now. There's a drain in the basement or a hose could be run out the back of the basement and down yard.

I'm single and like to go out and hitting the town. Putting it inside would keep down some of the noise factor if it was decided to use the tub at 1-3 am in the morning.

thanks for the replies and ideas, just trying to make use of it (its been in the garage on its side for about 3 years now not getting used). Keep them coming, because they make me wonder what the final outcome could be and the story about getting sick is not make it sound so fun.

Put your contractor on this. Tell them exactly what you want, and have them enlist a good HVAC expert. You will need dehumidifying, and plenty of ventilation.

B)

Hey bwall! U wrote > just trying to make use of it (its been in the garage on its side for about 3 years now not getting used).<

IMHO, you ought to list it in the local want ads and sell it off. If you put it into your basement, you'll regret it. You'll hardly, if ever, use it and unless you have one big mother of a fan discharging the humidity from your basement outdoors 24/7, that same humidity will wreak havoc inside your house. A hot tub has a lot of water in it and, subsequently, a LOT of evaporation. Excessive humidity inside a house is NOT a good thing. Avoid it!

If you wanna relax in an indoor hot tub, go to a local health club. Ugh.

We had our last hot tub in our house, in the basement. We had it in a corner, surrounded by cedar boards on two walls and the cieling. The other two walls were open to the rec-room. We installed a fan/vent over the tub, but found that we never used it.

We had this setup for about three years in that house (until we built a new house, and put a platinum II outside) and had no problems with moisture or anything. Our house did smell like hot tub, but everyone that came over said they liked the smell. It was not offensive.

I preferred having it in the basement to having a tub outside....