Preventing Freezing

richz

the hot tub heater is not working and I have done all I can do to try and fix it. It is under warranty and the Hot Springs folks will be coming out later on Monday (hopefully). It is Sunday and the tub is at 85 and dropping. The tub has 450 gallons of water, and a good cover. Windchill will be below 0 tonight and very cold for today and tomorrow (below freezing). The circulation pump is working fine. Do I need to run some of the main pumps or is it fine with just the circulation on? I am particulary concerned with a water feature which operates at the first pump level. it is 3 water streams merging into one. That water always starts cold, even when the heater is working.

RichZ

the hot tub heater is not working and I have done all I can do to try and fix it. It is under warranty and the Hot Springs folks will be coming out later on Monday (hopefully). It is Sunday and the tub is at 85 and dropping. The tub has 450 gallons of water, and a good cover. Windchill will be below 0 tonight and very cold for today and tomorrow (below freezing). The circulation pump is working fine. Do I need to run some of the main pumps or is it fine with just the circulation on? I am particulary concerned with a water feature which operates at the first pump level. it is 3 water streams merging into one. That water always starts cold, even when the heater is working.

RichZ

If you use a submersible pump that you use to drain you could set it in the spa and stick the output hose in the tub so it circulates the water but with the circulation pump running I really think you'll be fine. You can also take a light and hang it in the equipment compartment to help keep it warm.

If you use a submersible pump that you use to drain you could set it in the spa and stick the output hose in the tub so it circulates the water but with the circulation pump running I really think you'll be fine. You can also take a light and hang it in the equipment compartment to help keep it warm.

I find the best way to drain the spa after the hose bib gets all the higher water out is to just use a shop vac. Its also how I clean the spa. A spa dealer recommended this after I got frustrated with the gadgets I had bought to get dirt out of the bottom. My shop vac (which I already had) has worked great.

RichZ

You should be fine but kick the pumps on a couple times a day and like ST said a trouble light won't hurt.