old fiberglass pool

Guest Brooks

We moved into a house with a fiberglass pool 3 years ago. We live on the upper Gulf coast of Texas. The pool was "refinished" the year before we bought the house. The pool is apparently 25 years old. When we bought the house it looked good but now the pool surface appears pitted. There are dark spots that look like dirt but when you dive down to look at them they are actually holes in the fiberglass. There are also regions that appear to be bubbling. We don't know who the pool manufacturer or installers were. We also have collapsed vacuum lines in the yard.

My dilemma is this. We love having a pool but we cannot afford a money pit. It could cost $5,000 to refinish it again but that doesn't sound like the proper solution since it was just done 4 years ago. We had thought of ripping it out and installing a gunite pool in it's place but that again would really be costly. My husband is entertaining the idea of filling it in (I hope he is really joking).

It sounds to me like the pool has not been treated well in it's 25 years and that it's integrity has broken down. Should we entertain getting a new fiberglass pool put in it's place. It's really big though 15ft by 35 ft and 8 feet deep on one end.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mrs. Brooks

Mrs. Brooks,

When Fiberglass manufacturers first started making pools they did not have their stuff together. Now the correct materials are used and there is no more bubbling or pitting.

If you decide to buy a fiberglass pool, to replace your old one, you should buy one of the major brands. San Juan, Viking, or Hawaiian. These companies have perfected the process. San Juan is the best for warranty.

Good luck in whatever you do...

• 11 years later...
On 9/22/2005 at 1:11 AM, Guest Patrick said:

Mrs. Brooks,

When Fiberglass manufacturers first started making pools they did not have their stuff together. Now the correct materials are used and there is no more bubbling or pitting.

If you decide to buy a fiberglass pool, to replace your old one, you should buy one of the major brands. San Juan, Viking, or Hawaiian. These companies have perfected the process. San Juan is the best for warranty.

Good luck in whatever you do...

San Juan is one of the worst....  Their warranty is non-transferrable for only 25 years.  Sorry, but you either work for them or just plain don't know.

Leisure Pools, Latham Pools, American Pools all have true lifetime warranties on their structures.  I know that Leisures is transferrable as well, some of the others may be too.