Update On My 'tests'

LauraG

It's not critical to have SI exactly zero. As long as it within say +/- 0.3 I would worry about it. The main thing is to keep pH in a good range 7.4-7.8, and reduce creep.

Ok then, I won't do anything right now. Let's say the pH rises to 8ish again, and stays that way, then I will just lower the pH or lower the TA?

AHHl, now that I re-read Richard's comments, I will lower the TA and increase CH IF the pH rises.

With the CC at 2.5, should I do anything?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did you measure this? If it's soon after a soak, then don't worry about it as that is normal and it will break down over an hour or two. If it's the next day just before your soak, then is there measurable FC as well? If not, then you aren't using enough chlorine as you should have some measurable FC before your next soak.

When did you measure this? If it's soon after a soak, then don't worry about it as that is normal and it will break down over an hour or two. If it's the next day just before your soak, then is there measurable FC as well? If not, then you aren't using enough chlorine as you should have some measurable FC before your next soak.

I measured it around noon today, I was in it last night briefly. There was 2.0 FC still in it when I tested both the FC and the CC. I am pretty consitent with my times of adding the 'regular' daily Purox. It is usually around 3 in the afternoon daily. Then, when needed I add more at night. I have never let the FC get too low at all. In other words, there has always been measurable FC before I get in.

As you know, the tub is used quite a bit, so I have to add an extra 6 or more oz. of Purox on average, sometimes during heavier bather loads I have to add even more. Do you think this is why there is a CC of 2.5? It seems to be using up the FC, so does this make sense?

I prefer to keep the FC at about 5 or 6, so it was somewhat low today, but I added the usual 6 oz. after I had tested.

Ok then, I won't do anything right now. Let's say the pH rises to 8ish again, and stays that way, then I will just lower the pH or lower the TA?

AHHl, now that I re-read Richard's comments, I will lower the TA and increase CH IF the pH rises.

With a TA of 100 ppm, you must have added 3 TBS of Baking Soda to the water while cleaning the spa. Be careful about adding BS to the water while cleaning, because you'll end up chasing your tail. i.e. adding base then acid etc. Not only will you be wasting chemicals, you'll be adding to your Total Disolved Solids (TDS). Remember the less we put in our tubs, the longer the water will last.

It will be interesting to see what your pH does with a TA of 100 AND Borates in your tub. With my TA at 100 (which is my tap water) I couldn't run my tub for very long without the pH going above 8.0. However, I didn't have Borates in it at the time. If your pH stays under 8.0 for any length of time while your jets are on, maybe that will mean the Borates are working better than we thought. On the other hand, the fact that you added acid to bring you pH down suggests your having a pH creep problem. I have yet to add acid (or MPS) to my tub since my last refill a couple weeks ago, and my pH has been steady at 7.8

Regarding your CC. As Chem Geek said it makes a difference when you test it, before or after you soak. Do you smell anything while you're soaking? When was the last time you gave it a good shock, 12ppm? Are you sure you have FC (3-5) in it before you soak? Also, if you add MPS, it could give you a false CC reading. I'd say if you're not smelling anything, you have enough FC in the tub before you soak everytime, and/or you're using MPS, you're ok. If not, give it a good shock with bleach (or MPS), and keep your FC a little higher.

With a TA of 100 ppm, you must have added 3 TBS of Baking Soda to the water while cleaning the spa. Be careful about adding BS to the water while cleaning, because you'll end up chasing your tail. i.e. adding base then acid etc. Not only will you be wasting chemicals, you'll be adding to your Total Disolved Solids (TDS). Remember the less we put in our tubs, the longer the water will last.

It will be interesting to see what your pH does with a TA of 100 AND Borates in your tub. With my TA at 100 (which is my tap water) I couldn't run my tub for very long without the pH going above 8.0. However, I didn't have Borates in it at the time. If your pH stays under 8.0 for any length of time while your jets are on, maybe that will mean the Borates are working better than we thought. On the other hand, the fact that you added acid to bring you pH down suggests your having a pH creep problem. I have yet to add acid (or MPS) to my tub since my last refill a couple weeks ago, and my pH has been steady at 7.8

Regarding your CC. As Chem Geek said it makes a difference when you test it, before or after you soak. Do you smell anything while you're soaking? When was the last time you gave it a good shock, 12ppm? Are you sure you have FC (3-5) in it before you soak? Also, if you add MPS, it could give you a false CC reading. I'd say if you're not smelling anything, you have enough FC in the tub before you soak everytime, and/or you're using MPS, you're ok. If not, give it a good shock with bleach (or MPS), and keep your FC a little higher.

Thanks Nitro....... how much Purox should I put in to shock to 12 ppm let's say if the FC is at 3 ? It is usually about there when I test and before I add more Purox.

Thanks Nitro....... how much Purox should I put in to shock to 12 ppm let's say if the FC is at 3 ? It is usually about there when I test and before I add more Purox.

When you add your usual 6 oz, what does that bring your FC to?

Assuming your Purox is 10% Available Chlorine, 6 oz should add ~12 ppm to your current FC. However, if you add it after a soak, the FC will be used up, so you'll never get a good shock. So, what you need to do is add enough Purox to bring it to at least 12 ppm, and sustain that for a day.

If you want to do an experiment, try this one day when you don't plan on using the tub for a couple days.

Add 8 oz Purox. Assuming your tub is 380 Gal, that should add 17 ppm FC.

Run Jets/Air for a minimum of 30 mins (60 min would be better) uncovered.

Check FC and make note of it.

Cover and then check FC 24 hours later.

Let us know your results.

For instance:

Assume your FC was 15 ppm after shocking and running jets on day one.

The next day it should be at least 8 ppm, preferably 10 ppm.

If it's below 8 ppm, add 6 oz Purox to add ~12 ppm FC to your curent level.

Run Jets for 30-60 min uncovered.

Cover and let sit for 24 hours.

Check FC.

You should be using less FC then the day before.

You want to get your tub using less than 50% (more like 25%) of FC per day with no use. My tub uses 25% FC. So if I shock to 12 ppm, the next day it will be 9 ppm.

When you add your usual 6 oz, what does that bring your FC to?

Assuming your Purox is 10% Available Chlorine, 6 oz should add ~12 ppm to your current FC. However, if you add it after a soak, the FC will be used up, so you'll never get a good shock. So, what you need to do is add enough Purox to bring it to at least 12 ppm, and sustain that for a day.

If you want to do an experiment, try this one day when you don't plan on using the tub for a couple days.

Add 8 oz Purox. Assuming your tub is 380 Gal, that should add 17 ppm FC.

Run Jets/Air for a minimum of 30 mins (60 min would be better) uncovered.

Cover and then check FC 24 hours later.

Let us know your results.

For instance:

Assume your FC was 15 ppm after shocking and running jets on day one.

The next day it should be at least 8 ppm, preferably 10 ppm.

If it's below 8 ppm, add 6 oz Purox to add ~12 ppm FC to your curent level.

Run Jets for 30-60 min uncovered.

Cover and let sit for 24 hours.

Check FC.

You should be using less FC then the day before.

You want to get your tub using less than 50% (more like 25%) of FC per day with no use. My tub uses 25% FC. So if I shock to 12 ppm, the next day it will be 9 ppm.

Hmmm, well I don't believe that so far adding 6 oz. of Purox has put my FC up to 12, but I haven't checked as soon as I've put it in lately either!!! Today I put in 6 oz. (around noon) just now (10:45) I checked and it was 5.5, but I haven't been in it today. The pH was up to 7.8 by the way, with no use at all today.

The Purox I am using is 10.3% available chlorine and 10.8% sodium hypochlorite. I just added another 4 oz. for good measure. How long after adding the Purox should I re-check to see where the FC is at?

Oh yes, and I have saved the 'experiment' that you've sent along, and I will surely try that soon.

Hmmm, well I don't believe that so far adding 6 oz. of Purox has put my FC up to 12, but I haven't checked as soon as I've put it in lately either!!! Today I put in 6 oz. (around noon) just now (10:45) I checked and it was 5.5, but I haven't been in it today. The pH was up to 7.8 by the way, with no use at all today.

The Purox I am using is 10.3% available chlorine and 10.8% sodium hypochlorite. I just added another 4 oz. for good measure. How long after adding the Purox should I re-check to see where the FC is at?

Oh yes, and I have saved the 'experiment' that you've sent along, and I will surely try that soon.

If you added 6 oz purox and 11 hours later you're only at 5.5 ppm, either your tub is using too much FC, or your Purox is not 10% AC (which could be because it's old)

After 15-20 mins of adding Purox you can check your FC. Basically it's how long it takes your jets to thoroughly mix it in.

If you just added 4 oz, that should put your FC at 14 ppm. You can check to make sure.

And as for the CC, you can certainly see what happens after shocking with chlorine, but if it doesn't drop then I've got other things you can try, but we'll save that for later in case it becomes necessary. It's not a problem if you aren't smelling it -- so long as you measure FC, your tub is still sanitary.

And as for the CC, you can certainly see what happens after shocking with chlorine, but if it doesn't drop then I've got other things you can try, but we'll save that for later in case it becomes necessary. It's not a problem if you aren't smelling it -- so long as you measure FC, your tub is still sanitary.

So, last night , after adding the other 4 oz. The FC read 13.

Today at 3:00, I checked again, the FC was 4.0 the CC was 1.5 and the pH was 7.8.

The Purox was bought only about a week or so ago, however it could have been sitting on the store shelves here for a while, since very few folks have indoor pools!

A friend of mine just picked me up 2 more bottles on sale yesterday, so I've got about 4 and a half bottles of the stuff to go through before I get something perhaps stronger! It is pretty cheap all the same, so that doesn't really concern me all that much. Oh, and I waited 15 min. before checking the FC last night, and put the jets on for a wee bit to help mix it in.

Today at 3:00, I checked again, the FC was 4.0 the CC was 1.5 and the pH was 7.8.

The Purox was bought only about a week or so ago, however it could have been sitting on the store shelves here for a while, since very few folks have indoor pools!

A friend of mine just picked me up 2 more bottles on sale yesterday, so I've got about 4 and a half bottles of the stuff to go through before I get something perhaps stronger! It is pretty cheap all the same, so that doesn't really concern me all that much. Oh, and I waited 15 min. before checking the FC last night, and put the jets on for a wee bit to help mix it in.

I calculated pretty close at 14 ppm. That tells me your Purox is fine (it's not old). However, the fact that you only had 4.0 FC today means your tub is using too much chlorine. You need to shock it again. Add 6 oz Purox and let Jets/Air run for an hour before covering. That should bring your FC up to ~18 ppm. Check it 15 min later to make sure. Let it sit overnight and check FC again tomorrow. Let us know the results. I predict 10 ppm.

While your tub is safe to use (as long as you have FC in it), your chlorine is strugling to keep up, and is way behind. That means you need to use more chlorine in the future, and/or use MPS to help out. However, first you need to keep shocking it until your chlorine catches up. If it were me I would shock it everyday until it's caught up. That also means you shouldn't use the tub while shocking. If you shock to only ~12, it will take longer to catch up. That's why I recommend giving it a good whack to ~20. That should clear it up in a day or two.

I calculated pretty close at 14 ppm. That tells me your Purox is fine (it's not old). However, the fact that you only had 4.0 FC today means your tub is using too much chlorine. You need to shock it again. Add 6 oz Purox and let Jets/Air run for an hour before covering. That should bring your FC up to ~18 ppm. Check it 15 min later to make sure. Let it sit overnight and check FC again tomorrow. Let us know the results. I predict 10 ppm.

While your tub is safe to use (as long as you have FC in it), your chlorine is strugling to keep up, and is way behind. That means you need to use more chlorine in the future, and/or use MPS to help out. However, first you need to keep shocking it until your chlorine catches up. If it were me I would shock it everyday until it's caught up. That also means you shouldn't use the tub while shocking. If you shock to only ~12, it will take longer to catch up. That's why I recommend giving it a good whack to ~20. That should clear it up in a day or two.

If I only add 6 oz. (which I add everyday) it will bring the FC up to 18? The purpose of the aerating is to raise the pH no?

I'm just thinking that by adding the usual 6 oz. which is just my maintenance amount, it will take a long time to raise the FC?

What about if I add 9 or 10 oz. tonight , plus aerate?

If I only add 6 oz. (which I add everyday) it will bring the FC up to 18? The purpose of the aerating is to raise the pH no?

I'm just thinking that by adding the usual 6 oz. which is just my maintenance amount, it will take a long time to raise the FC?

The reason why 6 oz is not raising FC enough is because your chlorine demand is high, because of the high bather load. i.e. your tub is using up FC as fast as you're putting it in. If we give it a good shock, that will lower your chlorine demand. If your demand is low, 6 oz should raise your FC by 15 ppm. If you're 3-4 ppm FC now, that should put you in the high teens tonight.

I don't recommend bringing FC up to 20 ppm for any length of time, very often, because it's not good for the cover etc. However, if you have a high demand, it won't stay high for long. The fact that you shocked it last night, and you haven't used it, I believe your demand is lower now. Therefore I predict you should have more FC tomorrow. If you add 6 oz tonight, let the jets run for 60 mins uncovered. BTW, the reason for letting your Jets run is to gas of some of the chlorine, so it's not too hard on your cover. Check FC 15 min after adding. You should have ~18 ppm. 24 hours later check FC again. I predict you should have ~10 ppm. If it happens they way I think it will, you should be good to go.

However, in the future you need to use more Purox. Your current amount (6 oz) is not enough to maintain with your bather loads. You might want to up it to 7 or 8 oz. Remember, don't go by how much Purox you put in, go by your FC levels. If it takes 8 oz to get your FC to ~12 ppm (shock level) so be it. It just means your tub is using more, and therefore you should give it more. Check FC 15 min after your add the Purox and 24 hours later. The 2nd reading should not be less than half of the first. So if you shock to 12 one day, and the next day it's 4, it's using more then it should and needs to be shocked again.

Remember your tub is safe as long as you keep a residual FC in it at all times. However, what we're getting into now is chlorine demand. You let you tub get behind. It's not big deal, it just needs a good shock. For the record, with your high bather loads, it's difficult enough to keep the tub safe, let alone keeping the chlorine demand down. I think you doing a great job.

The reason why 6 oz is not raising FC enough is because your chlorine demand is high, because of the high bather load. i.e. your tub is using up FC as fast as you're putting it in. If we give it a good shock, that will lower your chlorine demand. If your demand is low, 6 oz should raise your FC by 15 ppm. If you're 3-4 ppm FC now, that should put you in the high teens tonight.

I don't recommend bringing FC up to 20 ppm for any length of time, very often, because it's not good for the cover etc. However, if you have a high demand, it won't stay high for long. The fact that you shocked it last night, and you haven't used it, I believe your demand is lower now. Therefore I predict you should have more FC tomorrow. If you add 6 oz tonight, let the jets run for 60 mins uncovered. BTW, the reason for letting your Jets run is to gas of some of the chlorine, so it's not too hard on your cover. Check FC 15 min after adding. You should have ~18 ppm. 24 hours later check FC again. I predict you should have ~10 ppm. If it happens they way I think it will, you should be good to go.

However, in the future you need to use more Purox. Your current amount (6 oz) is not enough to maintain with your bather loads. You might want to up it to 7 or 8 oz. Remember, don't go by how much Purox you put in, go by your FC levels. If it takes 8 oz to get your FC to ~12 ppm (shock level) so be it. It just means your tub is using more, and therefore you should give it more. Check FC 15 min after your add the Purox and 24 hours later. The 2nd reading should not be less than half of the first. So if you shock to 12 one day, and the next day it's 4, it's using more then it should and needs to be shocked again.

Remember your tub is safe as long as you keep a residual FC in it at all times. However, what we're getting into now is chlorine demand. You let you tub get behind. It's not big deal, it just needs a good shock. For the record, with your high bather loads, it's difficult enough to keep the tub safe, let alone keeping the chlorine demand down. I think you doing a great job.

Thanks for the encouragement! Believe it or not I am enjoying this. Probably not so much if i didn't have so much help though!!!

Well, I went ahead and put in 10 oz. of Purox--yep 10. I left off the cover, ran the jets and areated (ran the water falls too)

I let it run for an hour, waited 15 min. then retested with the Taylor kit. The FC was 16. So, theoretically the FC should be above 8 by tomorrow night.

Remember, I checked the levels at 3:00 today, and did not add anything until 6:50 tonight, so the levels would have been lower than the 5.5 earlier today, (although I didn't check, as I have to order more replacements for the FC soon....)

I will check the FC again tomorrow by 3:00. I suppose I should have checked the pH after all that aeration, but I had company, and got distracted. I will check it now. Thanks again, really I just can't thank you and chem geek enough!!!!

There, I just tested the pH , and it is higher than 8.0 . That is 2 hours after adding the purox and aerating.

Thanks for the encouragement! Believe it or not I am enjoying this. Probably not so much if i didn't have so much help though!!!

Well, I went ahead and put in 10 oz. of Purox--yep 10. I left off the cover, ran the jets and areated (ran the water falls too)

I let it run for an hour, waited 15 min. then retested with the Taylor kit. The FC was 16. So, theoretically the FC should be above 8 by tomorrow night.

Remember, I checked the levels at 3:00 today, and did not add anything until 6:50 tonight, so the levels would have been lower than the 5.5 earlier today, (although I didn't check, as I have to order more replacements for the FC soon....)

I will check the FC again tomorrow by 3:00. I suppose I should have checked the pH after all that aeration, but I had company, and got distracted. I will check it now. Thanks again, really I just can't thank you and chem geek enough!!!!

There, I just tested the pH , and it is higher than 8.0 . That is 2 hours after adding the purox and aerating.

Well, your pH is > 8.0, because your TA is at 100. I wouldn't worry about that now though. Just close it up and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow check your FC and pH. If your FC is ~10 ppm like I'm predicting, you should be good as far as chlorine goes.

If your pH is still above 8.0, you can add some acid to bring your pH/TA down. Remember to be careful when cleaning with Baking Soda. As a matter of fact, only use Baking Soda as a last resort. You shouldn't need to use it all the time.

Well, your pH is > 8.0, because your TA is at 100. I wouldn't worry about that now though. Just close it up and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow check your FC and pH. If your FC is ~10 ppm like I'm predicting, you should be good as far as chlorine goes.

If your pH is still above 8.0, you can add some acid to bring your pH/TA down. Remember to be careful when cleaning with Baking Soda. As a matter of fact, only use Baking Soda as a last resort. You shouldn't need to use it all the time.

I re-tested at 4:30 the next day. FC was 4 and pH was 8

I added 4 oz. of purox and 1 tblsp acid. I was expecting company, so did not want to add too much purox.

After the soak, I added another 10 oz.

Today, the FC was low (just used a strip first) and the pH was 8

I added 9 oz. of purox.

I will check the FC in a bit.

You're doing great. Just keep in mind that you have an extremely high bather load -- many bather-hours in a 380 gallon (fairly normal sized) tub. So you are definitely pushing the limits. At least you're getting by with perhaps twice as long between refills as you would if you were using Dichlor alone. Don't forget that you will need to change your water more frequently than most, even with the Dichlor-then-bleach method, because your bather load is way more than even double what is typical (1-1.5 bather hours per day in 350 gallons).

I added 4 oz. of purox and 1 tblsp acid. I was expecting company, so did not want to add too much purox.

I added 9 oz. of purox.

So, the night before last your FC was 16 ppm, then yesterday it was 4 ppm. You didn't use the tub in between this time, right? I'm still trying to determine why you still have a high chlorine demand.

I added 9 oz. of purox.

So, the night before last your FC was 16 ppm, then yesterday it was 4 ppm. You didn't use the tub in between this time, right? I'm still trying to determine why you still have a high chlorine demand.

nope, didn't use the tub inbetween.

yesterday I added 9 oz. plus one tablesppon acid...did not go in, today FC was 2.0 and the pH was 7.8

I added10 oz, today and left the cover off for about half an hour. I thought I'd give it a while, then re-check to see where it's at.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I should use some MPS?

yesterday I added 9 oz. plus one tablesppon acid...did not go in, today FC was 2.0 and the pH was 7.8

I added10 oz, today and left the cover off for about half an hour. I thought I'd give it a while, then re-check to see where it's at.

You definitely have a high chlorine demand. After two shocks it should have helped, but didn't seem to make a difference.

You can try giving it a dose of MPS. However, before you do get your FC to shock level (10-14 ppm). Make a note of where it is. Then shock with MPS (1 oz). Run the jets for 15 minutes and cover it up. Don't use the tub. Tomorrow check your FC, and see where it is. It should be > 6. Let us know your results.

You definitely have a high chlorine demand. After two shocks it should have helped, but didn't seem to make a difference.

You can try giving it a dose of MPS. However, before you do get your FC to shock level (10-14 ppm). Make a note of where it is. Then shock with MPS (1 oz). Run the jets for 15 minutes and cover it up. Don't use the tub. Tomorrow check your FC, and see where it is. It should be > 6. Let us know your results.

Ok, I will do that right now.

Also, I have another question for ya..... I was going to order some replacement reagents and am having some trouble. I need R-0780 DPD powder R-0871 and CR-0004. I have found some sites, but the codes do not seem to match. The one site has R-0871 powder....strange indeed. I just don't want to order the wrong thing.

1 oz. of MPS is one tablespoon or teaspoon? Mine is granulated.

Nevermind the last question---- I figured it out. LOL

Also, I have another question for ya..... I was going to order some replacement reagents and am having some trouble. I need R-0780 DPD powder R-0871 and CR-0004. I have found some sites, but the codes do not seem to match. The one site has R-0871 powder....strange indeed. I just don't want to order the wrong thing.

I didn't find this site until after I ordered my R-0871 so I can't vouch for them- but their prices are decent and they have the whole kit laid out on a single page- with 2oz bottles available for a lot of them.

http://www.poolcenter.com/taylor_test_kit_reagents.htm

Jim

I didn't find this site until after I ordered my R-0871 so I can't vouch for them- but their prices are decent and they have the whole kit laid out on a single page- with 2oz bottles available for a lot of them.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm not sure if I can get it from there as I live in Canada. My question is when I see the R-0871 which is the titrating reagent (chlorine) and it is the drops . What comes up when I click on it is the powder (which I also need). Therefore i can't seem to find the R-0871 (which I really need). I must be tired or something.... sounds confusing eh?

A decent price for a Taylor K-2006 may be found here. A similar kit with 36% more volume of reagents so comparably or even better priced "per test" is here and you can get partial kits and reagents as well.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm not sure if I can get it from there as I live in Canada. My question is when I see the R-0871 which is the titrating reagent (chlorine) and it is the drops . What comes up when I click on it is the powder (which I also need). Therefore i can't seem to find the R-0871 (which I really need). I must be tired or something.... sounds confusing eh?

Richard, I've been trying to order through Lowry's here in Canada, but it is hard to do it seems. I've emailed them, they make it pretty easy to order the entire kits.