Update On My 'tests'

LauraG

Hi. I've been away, plus too busy to be online!!! I have been keeping up with the spa regiment. The water sure feels good. The TA seems to be holding at 75, and the pH tends to go from 7.6 to 7.8 (after aerating). I haven't checked the CH or the CYA for a bit. Do you think I should re-test and see how it is. The CH was 175 on Nov. 18. CYA was 30.

I was wondering if the CH should be higher, as well as the TA( perhaps to 80?) Or should I continue to monitor and see how it goes?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I've been away, plus too busy to be online!!! I have been keeping up with the spa regiment. The water sure feels good. The TA seems to be holding at 75, and the pH tends to go from 7.6 to 7.8 (after aerating). I haven't checked the CH or the CYA for a bit. Do you think I should re-test and see how it is. The CH was 175 on Nov. 18. CYA was 30.

I was wondering if the CH should be higher, as well as the TA( perhaps to 80?) Or should I continue to monitor and see how it goes?

Laura,

Glad to hear everything is going good for you.

If your pH is hovering between 7.6 and 7.8, you are perfect. Don't change your TA at all. Have you been adding any acid to keep pH down?

As far as CH, that's up to you. It will be fine if you leave it where it is. I have mine at 200, but my TA is a little lower at 60. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Just curious, how often is the tub being used?

Unless you've got splash-out and refill, the CH shouldn't change. The CYA might be dropping slowly over time, but I wouldn't bother testing it until after at least one month if not two.

Laura,

Glad to hear everything is going good for you.

If your pH is hovering between 7.6 and 7.8, you are perfect. Don't change your TA at all. Have you been adding any acid to keep pH down?

As far as CH, that's up to you. It will be fine if you leave it where it is. I have mine at 200, but my TA is a little lower at 60. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Just curious, how often is the tub being used?

Hi Nitro..... I haven't added any acid since the very beginning, when I was trying to get things 'into line' so to speak. I am using more Purox than I initally expected, but when I re-read the amounts needed per- person per- soak, it is right on. There a re lots of us that use the tub, and for long periods of time. It is used every day. I love it. I've got to tell ya---the water feels fantastic. I am so proud of myself!!!! LOL

I can't thank you and Chem geek enough for all your help and continued suppport. You guys are great!!!!

Hopefullly, I can keep learning and get better at it. It just seems too good to be true.

Hi Nitro..... I haven't added any acid since the very beginning, when I was trying to get things 'into line' so to speak. I am using more Purox than I initally expected, but when I re-read the amounts needed per- person per- soak, it is right on. There a re lots of us that use the tub, and for long periods of time. It is used every day. I love it. I've got to tell ya---the water feels fantastic. I am so proud of myself!!!! LOL

I can't thank you and Chem geek enough for all your help and continued suppport. You guys are great!!!!

Hopefullly, I can keep learning and get better at it. It just seems too good to be true.

Glad to hear that.

And it sounds like you have pH creep under control. Refresh my memory. Do you have Borates in your tub?

EDIT: I remember you do have Borates. Do you have the recommeded ~50 ppm though?

Glad to hear that.

And it sounds like you have pH creep under control. Refresh my memory. Do you have Borates in your tub?

EDIT: I remember you do have Borates. Do you have the recommeded ~50 ppm though?

I believe that I do have Borates. I put in Canada's product of 'Omni Presence Plus', which is supposed to be the same as another Canadian product that chem geek told me to use (SpaGuard Optimizer Plus). I put in the required amount- 16 tablespoons. This was to take the place of 20 Mule Team Borax. Although, I can only hope the salesperson was correct, there we no ingredients listed on the container!!!

Do you think I should shock with MPS weekly?

My CC was 1.5 yesterday.

Sorry, the CC was 1.0 .

pH is 7.8

A CC of 1.0 isn't bad, and is actually quite good considering your high bather loads. You're doing a good job of sanitizing your tub.

Are you smelling Chloramines (i.e. CC)? You can give it a good shock with Chlorine (12 ppm), leave the cover off and let the jets/air run for 30-60 mins. Or you can start using MPS. Just remember, once you start using MPS your CC readings will no longer be valid. Also, MPS is acidic and might bring your pH down. Just aerate if it goes below 7.6.

If it were me I wouldn't start using MPS unless I was having trouble keeping the smell of CC down, and/or I was having trouble keeping FC up during high bather loads. MPS will help a lot at oxidizing waste, so if used before a party your FC will last longer.

Do you think I should shock with MPS weekly?

My CC was 1.5 yesterday.

Sorry, the CC was 1.0 .

pH is 7.8

A CC of 1.0 isn't bad, and is actually quite good considering your high bather loads. You're doing a good job of sanitizing your tub.

Are you smelling Chloramines (i.e. CC)? You can give it a good shock with Chlorine (12 ppm), leave the cover off and let the jets/air run for 30-60 mins. Or you can start using MPS. Just remember, once you start using MPS your CC readings will no longer be valid. Also, MPS is acidic and might bring your pH down. Just aerate if it goes below 7.6.

If it were me I wouldn't start using MPS unless I was having trouble keeping the smell of CC down, and/or I was having trouble keeping FC up during high bather loads. MPS will help a lot at oxidizing waste, so if used before a party your FC will last longer.

oh oh, I read this AFTER we were in the tub for 5 hours last night.....yep, that's what I said, 4 people for 5 hours. We sure do love it. Anyway, I put 1 tbs. MPS before we went in. I checked the levels after about 2 hours, it was getting low, so I added 5 oz. of Purox.....stayed in and checked again, it was fine. Afterwards, I added 6 oz. of Purox. (I checked 3 times throughout the evening). At 1:00 today, the FC was 1.0, I added 6 oz. purox, then about an hour later, I added 2 tbs. MPS. the sides were a bit grungy (for lack of a better word), but not bad at all. I wiped it off. Areated for only about 10 min. The pH was 7.7(before the aerating)

My husband has sensitive skin, and his arm has a bit of a rash today...... the rest of us are fine...... I know 5 hours it a bit extreme, but this is what we do. The temp is set at 99 degrees, this is why we can stay in for so long, that plus the few 'pops' that we consume.

I am not really smelling chloramines when the lid is opened. It smells clean, and looks good. So, because I used the MPS, the CC readings will no longer be valid for how long?

oh oh, I read this AFTER we were in the tub for 5 hours last night.....yep, that's what I said, 4 people for 5 hours. We sure do love it. Anyway, I put 1 tbs. MPS before we went in. I checked the levels after about 2 hours, it was getting low, so I added 5 oz. of Purox.....stayed in and checked again, it was fine. Afterwards, I added 6 oz. of Purox. (I checked 3 times throughout the evening). At 1:00 today, the FC was 1.0, I added 6 oz. purox, then about an hour later, I added 2 tbs. MPS. the sides were a bit grungy (for lack of a better word), but not bad at all. I wiped it off. Areated for only about 10 min. The pH was 7.7(before the aerating)

My husband has sensitive skin, and his arm has a bit of a rash today...... the rest of us are fine...... I know 5 hours it a bit extreme, but this is what we do. The temp is set at 99 degrees, this is why we can stay in for so long, that plus the few 'pops' that we consume.

I am not really smelling chloramines when the lid is opened. It smells clean, and looks good. So, because I used the MPS, the CC readings will no longer be valid for how long?

One thing to keep in mind, some people are more sensitive to MPS then others. That could be the reason for your husbands rash. Has he ever had problems before you used MPS (i.e. Chlorine only)?

The CC readings will show higher if MPS is in the tub. However, 1 tbs of MPS should be used up pretty quick, depending on bather load. Chem Geek could probably estimate it closer than I. I wouldn't worry about it though. If your using MPS you shouldn't have a problem with CC, and therefore don't need to check it.

With the kind of high bather load in this tub, I'd be surprised if the 1 tablespoon of MPS lasts much longer than one day. Generally speaking, it will get used up before chlorine since it is supposed to react faster with ammonia (and urea?) which is how it prevent formation of CC. I agree that 1 ppm CC is pretty small given the high bather load. I assume that measurement was made just before the next soak; if it was measured anytime after the large bather load, then I'd expect there to be significant CC.

With the kind of high bather load in this tub, I'd be surprised if the 1 tablespoon of MPS lasts much longer than one day. Generally speaking, it will get used up before chlorine since it is supposed to react faster with ammonia (and urea?) which is how it prevent formation of CC. I agree that 1 ppm CC is pretty small given the high bather load. I assume that measurement was made just before the next soak; if it was measured anytime after the large bather load, then I'd expect there to be significant CC.

Yes, the CC was measured before the next soak. So, then you are saying that my CC readings should be normal by today then? I did add 2 more tablespoons yesterday as well.

I was just about to go out and take some tests. Now, just to make sure.... the Non-chlorine shock container that I have (again with no ingredients listed) is indeed MPS?

One thing to keep in mind, some people are more sensitive to MPS then others. That could be the reason for your husbands rash. Has he ever had problems before you used MPS (i.e. Chlorine only)?

The CC readings will show higher if MPS is in the tub. However, 1 tbs of MPS should be used up pretty quick, depending on bather load. Chem Geek could probably estimate it closer than I. I wouldn't worry about it though. If your using MPS you shouldn't have a problem with CC, and therefore don't need to check it.

He has had quite a rash in bromine. He does seem to have more sensitive skin than I, but he really seemed to have trouble with the bromine. This has been the first 'incident' while using bleach, but as I mentioned to him, he was in for a very, very long time.

And , now that you mention it, he did not have any trouble earlier when I did not use MPS. So, perhaps, the next time, I will just add the Purox, before, during and after the soak and see what happens. What do you think?

He has had quite a rash in bromine. He does seem to have more sensitive skin than I, but he really seemed to have trouble with the bromine. This has been the first 'incident' while using bleach, but as I mentioned to him, he was in for a very, very long time.

And , now that you mention it, he did not have any trouble earlier when I did not use MPS. So, perhaps, the next time, I will just add the Purox, before, during and after the soak and see what happens. What do you think?

Yes, I would skip the MPS before the next soak to see if it happens again.

My mottos are "less is better" and "don't fix it if it ain't broke". If you're not having problems with using just Purox, I'd stick with it. However, if you find you're having trouble keeping up with oxidation during high bather loads, then you can use MPS to help out. If your CC gets too high (>1), or you smell Cloramines dispite shocking with bleach, you can shock with MPS once a week.

Yes, I would skip the MPS before the next soak to see if it happens again.

My mottos are "less is better" and "don't fix it if it ain't broke". If you're not having problems with using just Purox, I'd stick with it. However, if you find you're having trouble keeping up with oxidation during high bather loads, then you can use MPS to help out. If your CC gets too high (>1), or you smell Cloramines dispite shocking with bleach, you can shock with MPS once a week.

I must be getting better at this because I sort of suspected that you would say pretty much what you said!!! That is pretty cool, considering that just a few weeks ago I knew absolutely zilch about this stuff!! You and chem geek should be proud of yourselves, and I again thank you very much!!

I tested earlier and the pH was down, it was 7.4, which is kind of strange since I was expecting it to rise....the pH creep that you mentioned to watch for. I areated for over an hour tonight. I checked the Ph then and it was 7.8 or 7.9, BUT it was after my husband put in 6 oz. of purox.

I must be getting better at this because I sort of suspected that you would say pretty much what you said!!! That is pretty cool, considering that just a few weeks ago I knew absolutely zilch about this stuff!! You and chem geek should be proud of yourselves, and I again thank you very much!!

I tested earlier and the pH was down, it was 7.4, which is kind of strange since I was expecting it to rise....the pH creep that you mentioned to watch for. I areated for over an hour tonight. I checked the Ph then and it was 7.8 or 7.9, BUT it was after my husband put in 6 oz. of purox.

Keep in mind MPS is acidic and will lower your TA/pH. You might want to check your TA and see where you're at. I believe you were at 75 ppm before. Is that correct?

I'm glad this method is working out for you. I believe this method is not diffcult, and anyone can/will learn it, especially if they knew the whole story.

Keep in mind MPS is acidic and will lower your TA/pH. You might want to check your TA and see where you're at. I believe you were at 75 ppm before. Is that correct?

I'm glad this method is working out for you. I believe this method is not diffcult, and anyone can/will learn it, especially if they knew the whole story.

Hi. I just completed my tests, and according to your figures, mine is not a balanced tub. Even though, it looks good and feels great, and my husband has had no skin troubles since I have not added any MPS. Here are the results:

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

I forgot to check the CC....will do that later.

I know the old "if it aint broke. don't fix it...." but, do you suggest that I lower my TA and raise the CH?

I put in 4 oz. of Purox before 3 went in, and afterwards, I added 9 oz. That was around midnight. I did my tests today around 1:00, I was thinking that I'd have a bit more FC left.

Oh, and I did have to add acid this week, to lower the pH. I put in 1 tablespoon in on Tues, then I needed to add another on Wed. It has been fine since then.

Hi. I just completed my tests, and according to your figures, mine is not a balanced tub. Even though, it looks good and feels great, and my husband has had no skin troubles since I have not added any MPS. Here are the results:

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

I know the old "if it aint broke. don't fix it...." but, do you suggest that I lower my TA and raise the CH?

I put in 4 oz. of Purox before 3 went in, and afterwards, I added 9 oz. That was around midnight. I did my tests today around 1:00, I was thinking that I'd have a bit more FC left.

Oh, and I did have to add acid this week, to lower the pH. I put in 1 tablespoon in on Tues, then I needed to add another on Wed. It has been fine since then.

How is your TA 100 ppm? That can't be correct, unless you added something to raise it, i.e. Baking Soda. You were at 75 ppm before, and you added some MPS (add acid), which should have brought your TA down even more. Could you recheck that TA to make sure?

As far as being balanced, you are a little on the low side, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I definitely wouldn't add any Acid or Base, as long as your pH is steady around 7.6. BTW, that's why it feels so good. If your pH starts to creep above 8.0, then you can think about adding acid. But again, test your TA again to make sure where it's at. It should not be going up if you're only adding acid. You could add some Calcium to raise your CH up to 200 ppm. That would bring your SI to ~0.

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

I've been looking over your shoulder here and learning as I go. I put your numbers into the thepoolcalculator.com and it looks good. [.02] What am I missing? [or did you leave borate and salt numbers in- or not adjust your temp?]

FWIW- and kind of a question for Nitro. I used the wheel that comes in the Taylor kit. It uses CH,TA, pH & temp. On that one you score a .04- where +-.5 is the range of balanced water.

Is that still a good guide for the Nitro's clorox method?

Jim

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

How is your TA 100 ppm? That can't be correct, unless you added something to raise it, i.e. Baking Soda. You were at 75 ppm before, and you added some MPS (add acid), which should have brought your TA down even more. Could you recheck that TA to make sure?

As far as being balanced, you are a little on the low side, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I definitely wouldn't add any Acid or Base, as long as your pH is steady around 7.6. BTW, that's why it feels so good. If your pH starts to creep above 8.0, then you can think about adding acid. But again, test your TA again to make sure where it's at. It should not be going up if you're only adding acid. You could add some Calcium to raise your CH up to 200 ppm. That would bring your SI to ~0.

Well, I re-checked everything today (before I added today's Purox) and I know that I've not been too'exact' with my tests so far, but I am trying to be more careful! the TA is surely 100. I did add some baking soda while cleaning the sides a week or so ago. I re-tested the CH as it was 175 before, (I checked twice today) and both times it was indeed 175.

The pH today is still 7.6. the FC is 2.0 and the CC was 2.5 I am about to add some Purox. I won't do anything else until I hear from you. My guess is to add some MPS?

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

I've been looking over your shoulder here and learning as I go. I put your numbers into the thepoolcalculator.com and it looks good. [.02] What am I missing? [or did you leave borate and salt numbers in- or not adjust your temp?]

FWIW- and kind of a question for Nitro. I used the wheel that comes in the Taylor kit. It uses CH,TA, pH & temp. On that one you score a .04- where +-.5 is the range of balanced water.

Jim

Hi Jim. I really don't do much on my own so far here, I am relying on nitro and chem geek to tell me what to do.As far as leaving the borate numbers in...... you'd have to ask the experts!!! I haven't even tried to use the wheel yet!

pH 7.6

FC 3.5

TA 100

CH 150

CYA 35

Jim

The Pool Calculator and the Taylor wheel will pretty much give you the same result. The Taylor wheel doesn't allow for different TDS values, but that's really only an issue if you have a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool with high TDS (usually around 3200 ppm). Also, don't forget that you need to adjust the TA lower by about 1/3rd the CYA level if the pH is 7.5. The Taylor wheel also does not adjust for Borates, but at 50 ppm Borates you would only lower the TA by 5 ppm so it's not a large adjustment. So yes, you can use the Taylor wheel if you want to. Don't forget about the temperature dependence (you didn't list that, but I presume it's around 100-104F).

So, if Laura's pH is fairly stable even with the TA at 100, then her water is currently well balanced. If she finds that the pH tends to rise over time and she lowers the TA in the future to slow down such a rise, then she can increase the CH somewhat to compensate, but right now it looks like she's in pretty good shape.

Richard