Dog hair filtration

Guest Anka

Great forum, glad I found it.

We are in the process of selecting an above-ground pool which will get some heavy use by our German Shepherd dogs. We've decided on a sand filtration system but are unsure about what type of pump: 1.5 HP? 2 HP? One or two phase? Every rep wants to sell us something different and none of them have experience with filtering dog hair. I guess people just don't let their dogs swim.

We would very much appreciate your input just so we can get a starting point for our research.

Thanks!

Anka, let your dogs swim! Most of the dog hair will be trapped in the skimmer or the hair and lint pot in front of the pump (hence the name: hair and lint pot). Just keep it cleaned out and you should have no problem no matter what kind of filter you have.

Hi Sally,

Thanks! Everyone I know is having fits about the dogs in an AG pool. My

guys are pool trained. They know how to get out on the steps. We'll have 'wedding cake' steps so they can get out. Getting in will be mostly by diving, based on past experience.

Do you have an opinion on pump HP? I'm thinking a 1.5 HP two-phase with

a sand filter. The DE seems like a lot of work to clean out, and I like

the two-speed pump so I can run it on "high" if I've had heavy dog use.

Is that a reasonable thought?

What about a vacuum? I've only seen in-ground pool vacs which do the

bottom and the sides and the top. From what I read, AG vacs do either

the bottom or the surface, but not both, and not the sides. Which is a

good one? How about the Hayward "Diver Dan" or whatever they call it?

Thank you for your comments,

Anka

Guest hottub.pool_boy

sand is by far the most convenient for a homeowner. check out the polaris65 pool cleaner. greatest thing about it is it runs off your return/ inlet fitting. pool continues to skim and you may never need to manually vacuum again. when not in use, keep the inlet eyeball pointing dowwn slightly. tou'll see why.... keeps the pool cleaner. 1.5 hp should be plenty. check out the new hayward matrix series pumps, they were flawless for us this year. great reviews. long swim the dogs.