Solar Heating Rip Off (?)

Wobbly

Which part are you talking about... that they show a $1000 solar heater on a $500 hot tub, or that you could go to a hardware store and buy what you need for under $200 to do the same thing? Or that it will not do a thing if you need the heat and will overheat the spa when you dont want the heat? ^_^

I fear that this system offers false promise to people interested in saving money in an environmentally friendly way.

Before investing in solar equipment it's wise to estimate system requirements and performance. This requires a solar site survey and estimates of collector output during the year, as well as estimating the required pumping rate and associated pump power.

I installed a solar heating system for our in-ground pool. It will probably have a fairly short payback period, because I did the work myself and received a tax credit. In our latitude and climate, however, I still have to run a gas heater for cloudy periods.

After September and before May, the system is not used due to lack of adequate solar insolation. Substantial pumping energy is required to circulate water through the solar panels. A bilge pump for a circulation pump is a joke.