Pump performance - Smaller pumps

Guest Neil

Chemicals alone will not solve any water problems unless there is adequate circulation. The basket water outlet on the 16 Ft Easy Set pools will not allow for proper circulation. The outlet needs a PVC elbow and a short piece of straight pvc pipe angled toward the bottom and pointing counterclockwise to the pool (we wouldn't want to fight the Coriolis Effect now would we?).!) shorten the stock length of hose to a manageable 2 1/2 feet maybe 3 ...Raise the pump off of the ground on cinder blocks or a stump or whatever youve got ...to a height where the top of the pump (where the purge valve is) and the inlet (suction side)hole is located on the pool. Support the outlet hose on blocks to a level no higher than the outlet into the pool.

I was amazed at the difference in performance of the little pool pump and the sound as well...now the water circulates properly and the pump is not having to work as hard .

Progress Report and Modifications to 16ft.Intex -

Since I have added the elbow and short pvc pipe pointing downward at a 45 degree angle on the outlet side of the inner pool liner, and raised the level of the pump onto cinder blocks and supported the hoses, I have had tremendous results. The water which was beginning to get a green hue of algae to it, is now noticibly cleaner looking. The cloudiness of the dead algae and suspended solids is the next problem to clear up. Here is my next modification to keep the pool clear...

Since the coriolis effect will help in the counterclockwise rotation of the water, and noticing that the outlet is in a clockwise orientation to the return (suction) side of the pump, the outlet pressure seems to interfere with the ability of the suction side to pick up unfiltered water...it more readily picks up the filtered water....so...I am going to ignore the plus (+) and (-) minus signs marked on the pool wall and swap them. I feel like once the filtered water from the outlet side of the pool makes a complete circle around the pool and slows its velocity and mixes with more unfiltered water, the end result will be that the inlet side (suction) will pick up more unfiltered water than its present "factory" configuration. I have run the pool pump 24 hours a day for the last 3 days..( hey, its under warranty..so what ! ) the water is clearer and clearer every day. I rinse the filter out perhaps 3 to 4 times per day. I am keeping the chlorine level slightly higher than normal and the PH up as well.

I am using the liquid clarifyer twice a week and the algaecide once a week. This pool is on the comeback trail. I will post a followup in a couple days to let 'yall know of the progress. So far, things seem to be working....I can live with having to pump up the leaky ring every day. I think that was caused by overstressing the rubber when the Chinese packed the pool in the box as I could see stretching of the rubber as I unfolded it when it was new. It leaked down from day one. The should have used rolls of cardboard at the fold areas of the collar as well as a larger box. I am not sure why they seemingly randomly picked the (+) and (-) holes.

Surely our engineers wouldnt have done it this way if it had been - MADE IN AMERICA --- GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.

Progress Report -

It's been over a week now that I have had clear water. The modifications to the 16ft Intex have worked great. I switched the hoses, from what the directions instructed, added the pvc elbow, and am running the pump 24/7. I am maintaining a little above normal chlorine level and am adding about 2 to 3 ounces of clarifyer every other day. I am cleaning the cartridge filter about three times a day and the water is sparkling clear. Oh, I almost forgot, you have to get in the pool at least every other day to kick up any settling debris it seems so that the filter will pick it up.

Good luck 'yall

Neil