Does Baking Soda Make Water Cloudy?

r5ran

Hi, I was wondering if using Arm & Hammer baking soda to raise PH can make your water cloudy? :o

I just changed my water a few weeks ago, and it has been absolutely crystal clear till recently. Tuesday night, after soaking, I checked my PH and it was down slightly, so I added a couple tablespoons of baking soda to raise it up (along with the usual MPS and a little hardness increaser). Didn't use the tub Wednesday, but when I went to jump in Thursday night, the water was very cloudy all of a sudden. Could this instant cloudiness be from the baking soda? I searched this forum, and while I found many recommendations to use baking soda instead of spa PH increasers (which everyone says is just sodium bicarbonate, same as baking soda), I found nothing that suggests it can cloud my water. But it just seems like too much coincidence not to be the baking soda....any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks, Randy

Hi, I was wondering if using Arm & Hammer baking soda to raise PH can make your water cloudy? :o

I just changed my water a few weeks ago, and it has been absolutely crystal clear till recently. Tuesday night, after soaking, I checked my PH and it was down slightly, so I added a couple tablespoons of baking soda to raise it up (along with the usual MPS and a little hardness increaser). Didn't use the tub Wednesday, but when I went to jump in Thursday night, the water was very cloudy all of a sudden. Could this instant cloudiness be from the baking soda? I searched this forum, and while I found many recommendations to use baking soda instead of spa PH increasers (which everyone says is just sodium bicarbonate, same as baking soda), I found nothing that suggests it can cloud my water. But it just seems like too much coincidence not to be the baking soda....any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks, Randy

Baking soda is used to raise the ALK, not PH. It will raise your PH, but slightly. What is your ALK reading now? If it is high it can cause cloudy water. Sodium carbonate (not bi carbonate or hydrogen carbonate) is PH increaser. This is different stuff (arm and hammer super washing soda I think)

Adding it with CH increaser is enhancing the issue. Why did you add CH? Once this is adjusted at a water fill it should not change much unless you are spilling a lot of water out of the tub.

If your pH is low, aerate to raise it. Turn on all your jets and air for 30 min. If that doesn't raise your pH, then you can add a little Baking Soda to raise your TA. However, if you don't know your TA, you should be adding anything.

What are your CH, TA and pH levels?

Also, as Tony says you could have low sanitizer levels. What kind of sanitation are you using?